• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AG1994

Interesting, haven’t heard back from the SJT yet, passed all other tests to enhanced level last year too.
When did you hear you had passed the SJT?

I applied on 20/03, did the online assessment on 21/03 and was invited to the assessment day on 01/04 for the assessment taking place this Tuesday.

Appears the Bletchley role is being processed faster than the Birmingham one then, good luck S Harvey!

crebbs1

I applied on 20/03, did the online assessment on 21/03 and was invited to the assessment day on 01/04 for the assessment taking place this Tuesday.

Appears the Bletchley role is being processed faster than the Birmingham one then, good luck S Harvey!

Well done, good luck with the next stage

Mgv1349

Thanks A lot,

Yeah, given its obviously a safety critical job that's understandable. I guess its pre match nerves on my part, I got the job and start shortly and I'm excited beyond belief about it but just worry about the training aspect. Not that im not confident in my own ability or anything but its just a job that is the complete opposite of what I do at the minute but looking forward to the challenge and will embrace learning news skills and procedures etc.
I wouldn’t worry about the training mate with the FOC I am with you get so much time to learn things and you are given everything needed to help, Also it was completely different to what I use to do and haven’t found it a problem, if you couldn’t do it the psychometric tests would of caught you out, good luck.

Picklebutton

Yeah, given its obviously a safety critical job that's understandable. I guess its pre match nerves on my part, I got the job and start shortly and I'm excited beyond belief about it but just worry about the training aspect. Not that im not confident in my own ability or anything but its just a job that is the complete opposite of what I do at the minute but looking forward to the challenge and will embrace learning news skills and procedures etc.
Don’t worry yourself, a lot of trainees come into the job from a wide variety of backgrounds - not everyone of them will have done a similar role.

It will be both challenging and hard work. Be prepared to sacrifice your evenings to study and revision during the Rules learning. There’s a lot to learn, and the Rule Book theory, which is the first hurdle, can appear daunting at times, but your instructor will add context to what is a lot of information that sometimes appears as clear as mud. The best advice I can give is to take each stage one step at a time, and soak it up.

I can promise that you will enjoy it and the time will simply fly past, because you will be so busy learning new stuff all of the time. Enjoy!

Firestarter

Interesting, haven’t heard back from the SJT yet, passed all other tests to enhanced level last year too.
When did you hear you had passed the SJT?

I’m in same position waiting to hear if I passed the SJT. Passed all psychometric tests to enhanced level in last year

truffy

Working through the training and pumping my brain with situational tests as much as I can free ones like here, prepare answers for just as many curve ball questions they might hit me with as I can think of, if I could get in with Great Western well that would be great good luck to you all

Mike310588

Hello. I’m just looking for a bit of help really. I applied for a trainee train driver role for northern specifically Liverpool in January and was invited to a face to face interview about a month later. I passed that and I was invited to an assessment centre around a week later on 20th March. I passed all of the tests and got to the MMI at the end. Obviously they don’t tell you how you did on this. The process up to this point has been really fast. However, it’s been three weeks tomorrow since the assessment day and I am yet to hear anything at all back. I was wondering if anyone was in the same position or if anyone who has since started had the same wait. Thanks again

Hensby92

Can anyone advise how fast the tones comes on TEA OCC tests. I have heard a sample somewhere and it seems far too fast... something like 2 tones PS...

AG1994

Can anyone advise how fast the tones comes on TEA OCC tests. I have heard a sample somewhere and it seems far too fast... something like 2 tones PS...

First part is around 2 tones per second but you’re only counting at that point, you have to ignore high tones though. Third part the tones return but it’s only one tone pitch so you count all, it was fairly easy to count in my head and was easier than I thought it would be overall.

Last edited:

Peeler

It was fairly fast to be fair. As for using your fingers, if you do practice, practice without using your fingers as the official rules of the assessment is that you cannot use any aid to help you count; you must do it in your head.

The assessment I attended everyone had to put their hands flat on the table & anyone caught counting along in some visual way were challenged! That puts you off more! :s

crebbs1

It was fairly fast to be fair. As for using your fingers, if you do practice, practice without using your fingers as the official rules of the assessment is that you cannot use any aid to help you count; you must do it in your head.

The assessment I attended everyone had to put their hands flat on the table & anyone caught counting along in some visual way were challenged! That puts you off more! :s

Wow, that’s not how the assessments were conducted on the day I sat them.
Nobody said hands need to be on the table.

Twotwo

S no not the speed of it that's the

It’s not the speed that’s the issue tbh it’s how similar they sound lol they say high and low tones but to be fair it’s more low and medium tones.

Hensby92

First part is around 2 tones per second but you’re only counting at that point, you have to ignore high tones though. Third part the tones return but it’s only one tone pitch so you count all, it was fairly easy to count in my head and was easier than I thought it would be overall.

Thank you mate. thats new information that its only one tone at the end. i was panicking because the tones come so fast i wasnt sure id be able to do the searching aswell but that sounds a little easier

ComUtoR

Established Member
It can be checked as early as the initial sift and online application. If you applied and were outside the distance criteria and got the DMI stage you may find that your application is rejected.

LeGrimpeur

Hypothetical situation:
You live within catchment area, apply get to dmi stage and get put into a talent pool.
Then you move outside the catchment area. Will any further checks likely be made? (Assuming you clock in on time all the time)

CC 72100

Established Member
Hypothetical situation:
You live within catchment area, apply get to dmi stage and get put into a talent pool.
Then you move outside the catchment area. Will any further checks likely be made? (Assuming you clock in on time all the time)

Depends what it says in the contract - you may be under obligation to move into or live within a certain catchment area.

But time and time again, 'flexible' attitudes to catchment areas really worry me. Why do people think TOCs do it? Because they have a grudge against people who live in certain towns? For the lols?

No - it's because you need to be in peak condition to do this job. If your commute ends up being 90 minutes, for a 03:47 start, at what sort of condition are you in when you book on?

It's a well paid but very serious job. If your attitude is to 'wing it' when it comes to travelling times then perhaps you've not got the attitude for the job.

And I say that having seen a driver have a SPAD where fatigue was the contributing factor, they had a particularly long commute and unfortunately they're no longer a driver.

LeGrimpeur - not aimed personally, but I'm fed up/concerned of people who view the travelling time limit as a box ticking exercise because it gives a worrying insight into the mindset of some would be drivers.

Last edited:

1812_s

Hi all

Im struggling a little with the ATAVT test.
I have a cd software i have purchased to help with this but it seems to be quite difficult. On the software it askes me to read information of signs or colour of a cyclists top etc.

From what i have seen. I thought it was only to look out for

-cyclist/motobikes
-cars, lorries
-road signs
-traffic lights
-pedestrians

Can anyone clarify

Daveb1664

Hi all

Im struggling a little with the ATAVT test.
I have a cd software i have purchased to help with this but it seems to be quite difficult. On the software it askes me to read information of signs or colour of a cyclists top etc.

From what i have seen. I thought it was only to look out for

-cyclist/motobikes
-cars, lorries
-road signs
-traffic lights
-pedestrians

Can anyone clarify
Which software did you get? I've got the how 2 be. Finding that really hard.

Bridger

Hi all.

Glad to say I've just signed the contract for my new trainee driver role, starting in two weeks time! Thank you to all of those on these forums who have taken the time to offer advice on getting the job. I've been a guard for just over two years, and had an internal promotion within my TOC to the drivers role.

Good luck to all of those applying! :)

Twotwo

Hi all.

Glad to say I've just signed the contract for my new trainee driver role, starting in two weeks time! Thank you to all of those on these forums who have taken the time to offer advice on getting the job. I've been a guard for just over two years, and had an internal promotion within my TOC to the drivers role.

Good luck to all of those applying! :)

Congratulations! Not long to go at all. Any reasons why you opted to do it internally and not with gwr?