• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Bridger

Hi all.

Glad to say I've just signed the contract for my new trainee driver role, starting in two weeks time! Thank you to all of those on these forums who have taken the time to offer advice on getting the job. I've been a guard for just over two years, and had an internal promotion within my TOC to the drivers role.

Good luck to all of those applying! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Twotwo

Hi all.

Glad to say I've just signed the contract for my new trainee driver role, starting in two weeks time! Thank you to all of those on these forums who have taken the time to offer advice on getting the job. I've been a guard for just over two years, and had an internal promotion within my TOC to the drivers role.

Congratulations! Not long to go at all. Any reasons why you opted to do it internally and not with gwr?

Bridger

Congratulations! Not long to go at all. Any reasons why you opted to do it internally and not with gwr?

In all honesty I enjoy working at my current TOC, so it was definitely the preferable choice. Location wise it's much easier for me to get to, and I feel like my current knowledge as a guard, both with routes and just the company in general will really help me out, rather than starting from scratch again at GWR. Even though GWR do pay more, I'm very happy to be staying at SWR :)

NewbieDoobie

In all honesty I enjoy working at my current TOC, so it was definitely the preferable choice. Location wise it's much easier for me to get to, and I feel like my current knowledge as a guard, both with routes and just the company in general will really help me out, rather than starting from scratch again at GWR. Even though GWR do pay more, I'm very happy to be staying at SWR :)
Nice, well done! My partner is at final interview stage for commercial guard at SWR and I’m just waiting to sign my driver contract for my current TOC; GWR! Keeping it in Group over here :lol::E

severussnape

Hi, im trying to prep for potentional questions on my MMI. Just a quick question for example the rules and regs question, could you use a generic response? For example, I work as a fire fighter, and talk about the different rules with in the job or would they require a specific time such as an incident I have responded to?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Specifics are much better. They give you an opportunity to discuss more about yourself and how you dealt with rules. It also helps display aptitude and competence skills.

NewbieDoobie

Hi, im trying to prep for potentional questions on my MMI. Just a quick question for example the rules and regs question, could you use a generic response? For example, I work as a fire fighter, and talk about the different rules with in the job or would they require a specific time such as an incident I have responded to?
Definitely find a specific example. All questions asked want 1 specific example only.

Alicia100

Hi all.

Hi and congratulations!!
Would you share your experience here with about structure interview with HR please? What kind of questions they asked?
Cheers

Maverick88

Hiya I’m looking for any tips for the structure interview with HR please?
Sell yourself would be me my main advice! The DMI can differ in the way it is structured depending on the TOC. You only need yo look on this forum and you can see that some have experienced quite informal discussions where as others have been quite rigid, and in depth with lots of questions. They tend to centre around non-technical skills, and they are looking for appropriate behaviours and ultimately need to be confident that you are suitable for the role. Arm yourself with lots of examples to a whole range of questions that are similar to the questions you would be asked during an MMI. Get a heads up on the company itself, and be fully conversant with the owners, what the mission or vision statement is, and what the passenger charter outlines etc. . . As always, mentioning a few "buzz words" will always go down a treat. Hope this helps.

1812_s

Hi all

For MMI, am I correct in saying it is the 6 questions and that's it.

There is no asking about 'what do you know about company? etc'

As this was covered in DMI

ferhat

Guys I have just joined the group.

I have passed my assessment centres tests with London Overground (then run by LOROL in june 2015; now called Arriva London).

I only failed the VSE test which is not compulsory, but still want to get a chance with VSE test to pass the tests.

I have been applying but never got a chance. I am currently an Aarriva bus driver. I don't know how to get around this.

To anyone who has passed their TOC test: congratulations!!! Good luck to anyone on the assessment centre.

Ferhat

Last edited by a moderator:

Arvz

Keep at it, you can still have another chance with the VSE and still have chances with TOCs that does not use it.

severussnape

Hi, I have the OPC stage 2 assessment next week. Just looking through the practice material and seen the example of a question with the response area. The response contains about 28 words. I'm trying to break down my answers to the standard list of questions to a couple of sentences and really struggling to put anything together. How much space do you actually get? Might be over thinking this.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi, I have the OPC stage 2 assessment next week. Just looking through the practice material and seen the example of a question with the response area. The response contains about 28 words. I'm trying to break down my answers to the standard list of questions to a couple of sentences and really struggling to put anything together. How much space do you actually get? Might be over thinking this.
Which test are you referring to? It sounds like the sort of thing you do during the MMI, but I’ve not known there to be any practice material for this assessment?

severussnape

Which test are you referring to? It sounds like the sort of thing you do during the MMI, but I’ve not known there to be any practice material for this assessment?
Sorry it's the MMI. Page 69 of the RSSB train driver assessment revision (2016-17)

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry it's the MMI. Page 69 of the RSSB train driver assessment revision (2016-17)
Oh right, okay. In that case I believe it’s a case of as long as you can fit it in that space and do it in a reasonable time that’s okay. This part is solely to briefly answer the set questions. As long as you put a rough outline, the aim of the interview is to elaborate etc.

severussnape

Oh right, okay. In that case I believe it’s a case of as long as you can fit it in that space and do it in a reasonable time that’s okay. This part is solely to briefly answer the set questions. As long as you put a rough outline, the aim of the interview is
Ok cheers. Thanks for the reply.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi can someone explain what MMI and DMI abbreviations stand for
MMI - Multi Modal Interview
DMI - Driver Manager Interview

The former is part of the Psychometric assessments but the latter isn’t.

If you search the forum you’ll find specific info and advice for both.

Tony136

MMI - Multi Modal Interview
DMI - Driver Manager Interview

The former is part of the Psychometric assessments but the latter isn’t.

If you search the forum you’ll find specific info and advice for both.
Thanks

thin_richmond

Quick question on the Health and Fitness aspect of this.

I have a condition known as Microtia which means my left ear hasn't properly developed. Now going by the literature I have read, this would appear to rule me out of driving career as it states you need to have sufficient hearing in both ears. Fair enough. I mailed the HR dept at Scotrail yesterday and was advised that this would be addressed at any medical should I make it that far etc. You'll understand that im somewhat in two minds to press ahead with any application if its doomed from the start etc.

On the wider health spectrum, I run marathons, my eyesight is 20/20 and I can hear things with my good ear that even my partner with two cant :D

So what would be the general consensus, I personally think it will be a blocker/non-starter etc.

Stigy

Established Member
Quick question on the Health and Fitness aspect of this.

I have a condition known as Microtia which means my left ear hasn't properly developed. Now going by the literature I have read, this would appear to rule me out of driving career as it states you need to have sufficient hearing in both ears. Fair enough. I mailed the HR dept at Scotrail yesterday and was advised that this would be addressed at any medical should I make it that far etc. You'll understand that im somewhat in two minds to press ahead with any application if its doomed from the start etc.

On the wider health spectrum, I run marathons, my eyesight is 20/20 and I can hear things with my good ear that even my partner with two cant :D

So what would be the general consensus, I personally think it will be a blocker/non-starter etc.
I can see your predicament. You don’t want to get your hopes up after progressing through the stages only to be knocked back at what is the last hurdle of the recruitment process. Even if you tell yourself you may not be okay at medical stage, you’ll still be disheartened, naturally.

I personally would go for it anyway, as you just don’t know unless you crack on a try. I had doubts about my eyesight (uncorrected it’s rubbish) and to an extent hearing (slight tinnitus which I only notice when I think about it lol). Both were absolutely fine. I’m also on medication that I wasn’t sure about. I passed okay with a gentleman’s agreement between the quack and I that I’ll lose some weight as my BMI is high.

Do you have any hearing at all in that ear?

thin_richmond

I can see your predicament. You don’t want to get your hopes up after progressing through the stages only to be knocked back at what is the last hurdle of the recruitment process. Even if you tell yourself you may not be okay at medical stage, you’ll still be disheartened, naturally.

I personally would go for it anyway, as you just don’t know unless you crack on a try. I had doubts about my eyesight (uncorrected it’s rubbish) and to an extent hearing (slight tinnitus which I only notice when I think about it lol). Both were absolutely fine. I’m also on medication that I wasn’t sure about. I passed okay with a gentleman’s agreement between the quack and I that I’ll lose some weight as my BMI is high.

Do you have any hearing at all in that ear?

Next to none buddy, if you look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtia

What the wee kid has in that pic is exactly what I have on my left side. Missus was saying that technically it could be said you only have one ear and as that works fine you should be fine too, sure it will be that simple :lol:

But yes, like you say I am going to apply, another driver has advised me as such as well!

Stigy

Established Member
Next to none buddy, if you look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtia

What the wee kid has in that pic is exactly what I have on my left side. Missus was saying that technically it could be said you only have one ear and as that works fine you should be fine too, sure it will be that simple :lol:

But yes, like you say I am going to apply, another driver has advised me as such as well!
Are you currently on the railway, in a safety critical role?

Although you can hear just as well with one ear, I suppose the issue may arise because during the test each ear is assessed individually in a sound proof room. Definitely still apply though as you may find with one really good ear, it’s not that much of an issue what the other ear is doing. Can you hear stuff happening at you deaf side, with your other ear?

thin_richmond

Are you currently on the railway, in a safety critical role?

Although you can hear just as well with one ear, I suppose the issue may arise because during the test each ear is assessed individually in a sound proof room. Definitely still apply though as you may find with one really good ear, it’s not that much of an issue what the other ear is doing. Can you hear stuff happening at you deaf side, with your other ear?

Not in rail environment at present, as for hearing and associated tests, they are not something that phase me, when we got them regularly at school I regularly came near the top of the pile (in terms of diminishment/age, I am in mid 30's etc) and yes I can hear whats going on in my left side with my other.