• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

RollingOn

The hearing test I had for a guard role was quite difficult and both of my ears are fine. You wear sound blocking headphones and sit in a booth and the tones they play are very quiet and are done one ear at a time. In all honesty I wouldn't get your hopes up but would have a go anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
RIS-3451-TOM contains the medical standards for train drivers on the UK national network. It can be found here - https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/RIS-3451-TOM Iss 1.pdf

The section you’re interested in is Appendix A clauses A1.16 and A1.17 on page 15 of the pdf and A1.40 on page 19 of the pdf. I suggest you read them carefully and reach your own conclusions.

Last edited:

thin_richmond

The hearing test I had for a guard role was quite difficult and both of my ears are fine. You wear sound blocking headphones and sit in a booth and the tones they play are very quiet and are done one ear at a time. In all honesty I wouldn't get your hopes up but would have a go anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Its very similar to the hearing test they administered (poss still do) at school, the noise they played was actually a passing train.

Thanks for all the advice in general guys, as others have intimated, I am going to give it a shot.

Accept that my condition poses a risk to my chances of success, but its never stopped me thus far and tbh, i sometimes I forget I even have it! Onwards!

Marc1972

Hi all,
Could anyone help me to give me advice on what questions I will be asked on a trainee train driver interview?
Thank You in advance

ComUtoR

Established Member
Is that the question that they might ask or is that question for me?

It's a question that might get asked. Prepare for a lot of 'Why would you, Why do you, If this happens, what would you do' Be prepared to be caught between a rock and a hard place.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Answer honestly. Answer what is personal to you and not what someone else thinks is the best answer you should give. Each question generally has some kind of follow up. Giving a rote or learned answer just trips you up.

Relax, get some sleep before the interview, get there early, be polite.

Andi-H27

Hi Guys! When writing the answers to the 6 MMI questions did you set it out in a sort of STAR format maybe bullet points?

kickin aff

You only write a sentence or two. When it comes to the actual interview, they will read out the question, your response, then its over to you. Speak your answers in the STAR format and be ready for follow up questions like how did that make you feel or why did you decide on that action etc.

Guru

Does anyone have any tips for part 3 of the visual search exercise? I know we are meant to prioritise the dots on the left but any tips on trying to do both? Or downloading any apps to help me practice?? Or anything that could be useful? Much appreciated! I have researched already so I know what to expect but would be great if anyone can share tips...
Trying to find the same answer. So what does this mean if we just stick to the left side and don't worry about the ones on right. Are the ones on right just to confuse us to miss the ones on left. Plzzzz help.

Theooboy

Trying to find the same answer. So what does this mean if we just stick to the left side and don't worry about the ones on right. Are the ones on right just to confuse us to miss the ones on left. Plzzzz help.
Your meant to prioritise the left hand side but at the same time don’t forget about the right hand side when you first start the left hand side does the same sequence so you will get an idea of where it will skip or change colour towards the latter stage of the VSE the sequence changes and tries to catch you out so prepare yourself when I was doing it i would look at the right side quick and see if the symbols match or not and click the relevant button then look at the left hand side it’s literally a quick decision

Matty42

Morning everyone, firstly thanks to all the people who have contributed to this forum it's been a massive help in my journey towards working on the railway.

I have an assessment day for GWR in Plymouth on Wednesday an was hoping someone could tell me if I will be completing all the tests and mmi interview that day (if I manage to pass all of them obviously) as when I chose the date of the assessment I could choose either the morning or afternoon session. Half a day doesn't seem like enough time to complete all the tests and the interview but the paperwork they sent me implies that I will be doing it all of it that day.

Also in the mmi interview is it just the six experience based questions or are they likely to ask about my knowledge of the TOC and why I want to be a train driver etc.
Thanks in advance for your replies

Daydr3am3r

Hi Matty

No it will consist of the pen and pencil tests. Should you be successful then you will sit the computerised tests and MMI on a separate assessment day.

Matty42

Hi Matty

No it will consist of the pen and pencil tests. Should you be successful then you will sit the computerised tests and MMI on a separate assessment day.
Thanks, that takes a bit of pressure off

I thought that was how it works, just the email with the practice material made it appear as though you did it all in one go.

I can relax a little and just concentrate practicing the paper tests for now.

Hi Matty

Hi

When you are invited to an assessment day, does that mean you have been sifted already or does that come later on in the process?

I am also in Plymouth on Wednesday.

Thanks

DaveK83

Good afternoon all, just registered and this was the first topic I read through. Filled with information so I’ve got to thank you all. Always been on the lookout for drivers jobs but have never been in the area of what’s needed. Finally saw an advert for a trainee mainline driver posted at my local station with Greater Anglia. Sent off my CV yesterday and got an email for the online assessment earlier this morning. Looking forward to starting that when I get home. Cheers again to you all.