• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Stigy

Established Member
Good morning all

Hope you had a great weekend. I'm a new member to this forum. I've been interested in becoming a train driver for a while now and I've got an assessment coming up. From personal experiences would you recommend for me to use the How2Become material? If anyone could point me to the relevant materials that will be used to do some practice that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Morning Kay,

I’d recommend using the information at this forum (including the Group Borden tool), and the material the TOC/OPC sends you. I board the How2Become book and was a bit disappointed, finding a lot of it outdated. Certain aspects are good, but on the whole I didn’t find it hat useful. The second stage (computer assessments) you can’t practice for as such, just have an awareness of anyway.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grannyjoans

The How2Become book was made a long time ago, I remember having it 10 years ago. I'm surprised that's still going. The assessments have changed since then.

Thomas Jenkins

Same here.... finding all the info available here very useful. I do have a question though.... I've noticed in two job descriptions on here (both for trainee freight train drivers) that they are not wanting applications from anyone who's had laser eye surgery.
Is this a common thing? I had corrective laser eye surgery almost 20 years ago when I was young. Will I be seeing this stipulation a lot, or every time? Does this mean I shouldn't waste any more time researching becoming a train driver?
Advice would be most gratefully received, thank you.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Laser eye surgery has risks. TOCs are very risk adverse. A few years ago it was outright banned. Then it was banned for applicants but not existing and now its ok, but dependent on each TOC and individual circumstances. I believe that the prism version of corrective surgery is still banned but not 100% sure.

Whoever you apply to, unless it is specifically mentions as a no for applicants, you should still expect to declare it at the medical stage regardless.

Stigy

Established Member
Same here.... finding all the info available here very useful. I do have a question though.... I've noticed in two job descriptions on here (both for trainee freight train drivers) that they are not wanting applications from anyone who's had laser eye surgery.
Is this a common thing? I had corrective laser eye surgery almost 20 years ago when I was young. Will I be seeing this stipulation a lot, or every time? Does this mean I shouldn't waste any more time researching becoming a train driver?
I believe the rules were recently updated in that you can be considered as long as it’s not very recent and your vision meets the standard. The fact that your surgery was so long ago, with presumably no repercussions, would suggest you’d be okay, but each person is examined on their merits.

Thomas Jenkins

I believe the rules were recently updated in that you can be considered as long as it’s not very recent and your vision meets the standard. The fact that your surgery was so long ago, with presumably no repercussions, would suggest you’d be okay, but each person is examined on their merits.
Thank you for the fast response. I read through the official medical guidelines and could find nothing about laser surgery, so I will continue with my research and applications in the hope that it won't be a problem. I really appreciate your reply, thank you again.

Thomas Jenkins

Laser eye surgery has risks. TOCs are very risk adverse. A few years ago it was outright banned. Then it was banned for applicants but not existing and now its ok, but dependent on each TOC and individual circumstances. I believe that the prism version of corrective surgery is still banned but not 100% sure.

Whoever you apply to, unless it is specifically mentions as a no for applicants, you should still expect to declare it at the medical stage regardless.
Thanks for that response, I really appreciate that. It was very helpful. Ta

Rofmeister

It was my understanding that it was a 'NO' but TOCS/FOCS amend their entry criteria constantly and may be worth contacting the HR department directly.

Rocketboots

Greetings to all.

New forum member, currently a very disillusioned airline pilot, I'd be extremely grateful if there are any Train Crew Managers, Drivers, (current and former) preferably with knowledge of Companies with bases in the North (Leeds, Hull, York etc) who could PM me. I'll explain more then.

Thank you in advance.
Hi Flyboy.

I left aviation to join the trains as a driver. Been driving for 3 years. I was flying corporate world wide ops. Months away, never knowing when the phone would ring etc. Boss sold the aeroplane, dumped on my arse. Couldn’t get a comparable job back in Europe let alone UK. Rating expired etc.

I’m really happy with my choice. I’m in my fifties and have a very broad background in other careers. I was also a licensed aircraft engineer for a major airline for 27 years. To put it bluntly this job is brilliant. I’ve a roster which allows me to plan years ahead. Plenty of weekends off. Want to swap a shift?, no problem, want to swap block leave same again. Long weekends every 3 weeks (5 straight days off). I don’t have night shifts but by all accounts they are not heavy. Money is brilliant once fully qualified. My basic plus outer London allowance plus Sunday premiums, means around £65k. Overtime I get whenever I want. My P60 last time around was LH seat legacy amount short haul. The important bit is the Pension. I transferred in from my old gig. My pension went through the roof. There are very different people of all backgrounds driving trains. It took me some time to adjust to that. Bottom line though is that pretty much to a man or woman they are all very nice. I enjoy it immensely but come in with your eyes wide open. Career progression to other things can happen very quickly if you want to go down that road. Like aeroplanes the job is the same. Safety safety safety. You will be shuttling 1000s of pax around a day. Hope this helps.

Kay_M

Morning Kay,

I’d recommend using the information at this forum (including the Group Borden tool), and the material the TOC/OPC sends you. I board the How2Become book and was a bit disappointed, finding a lot of it outdated. Certain aspects are good, but on the whole I didn’t find it hat useful. The second stage (computer assessments) you can’t practice for as such, just have an awareness of anyway.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Many Thanks for your output on this guys. I appreciate it. I've been waiting patiently for the right time to do it as one only gets two chances to get their foot in the door.

Stigy

Established Member
Many Thanks for your output on this guys. I appreciate it. I've been waiting patiently for the right time to do it as one only gets two chances to get their foot in the door.
You may already be aware of this so apologies if I’m just reiterating what you already know;

You only get two chances at failing Driver psychometric assessments. If you go for any other job for a foot in the door obviously this doesn’t count. Likewise online assessments don’t count. It’s only once you reach the assessment centre. You can also sit the assessments as many times as you like, as long as you don’t fail twice.

farebro

Hi all

I know it must have been asked before but is 47-48 to late to apply for a trainee position?

Qball

No I think a few on here have started at 55. It just depends on how well you do if your assessments.

Need2

Hi all

I know it must have been asked before but is 47-48 to late to apply for a trainee position?
I started training at the age of 50 (2 years ago) and I know from similar posts on here that there are people older than me successfully applying.
You're a young pup mate!

dazzayid

I have just come out of training school, I’m 44, had two on the course older than me, u will be fine.

gemmington

Hello, I am sure this has been asked numerous times and I have tried to look but not finding what I am looking for. I have just completed my SJT tests for a trainee depot driver position with GA and am wondering if any one is able to advise me on where I can find some reading material to prepare for the tests ( If I am successful in passing my SJT). Also any information on the application process ( I have read the flow on GA but am looking for people that have specifically gone all the way through.
MAny thanks in advance, have a wicked day!

chris7380

Hi all,
Could anyone tell me about or point me to another part of the forum of what are the daily duties of a train driver? I have an interview on the 1st August for scotrail and I am just trying to get as much knowledge as possible.

dazzayid

Read late notice case, book on, moan about your duty to colleagues, find your train. Drive it. Don’t miss any stations, don’t stop short, don’t make any errors. Have your PNB, moan again about your turn. Do your next train, try not to mess up again. Finish then go home. Rinse and repeat.

SGD5891

Read late notice case, book on, moan about your duty to colleagues, find your train. Drive it. Don’t miss any stations, don’t stop short, don’t make any errors. Have your PNB, moan again about your turn. Do your next train, try not to mess up again. Finish then go home. Rinse and repeat.
No room for error then lol

Abdu

Hello, i’m railway track worker, I wish I can become train driver. But I don’t know where to go or what I should do to start off with. Can anyone help me if you can, i’m from South east area. Is there any trainee drivers jobs where you working or any information you know about what I should be doing to go on this route! Please help as there is no progress where i’m Working at all. Thank you

Dynamonic

Hello, i’m railway track worker, I wish I can become train driver. But I don’t know where to go or what I should do to start off with. Can anyone help me if you can, i’m from South east area. Is there any trainee drivers jobs where you working or any information you know about what I should be doing to go on this route! Please help as there is no progress where i’m Working at all. Thank you

Becoming a train driver simply starts with you applying to become one.
Have a look at which Train Operating Companies (TOCs) or Freight Operating Companies (FOCs) have Driver depots within no more than a 60 minute travel time from you, (There’s a handy ‘Driver Depot’ thread below this one for that) and check their vacancies list daily for ‘Trainee’ train driver vacancies. (You can’t apply for ‘Qualified’ Train Driver vacancies unless you have a certain degree of experience as a current train driver already).

Once a vacancy appears which you want to apply for, apply for it, keeping in mind that the vacancy may be pulled at any time before the listed closing date due to the sheer number of applicants who go for it.
Many application forms will include competency based questions for you to answer too, so keep a record of your answers which you can work on and improve should you be unsuccessful the first time around.
If you’re successful at the application stage you will then undergo a lengthy recruitment process which involves multiple assessment days and interviews, some of which you can only attempt twice in your lifetime, but all of them are covered extensively in this very useful forum to help prepare you for them.

Have a read through the pinned threads at the top, such as this ‘Becoming a Train Driver’ thread, plus look up threads for the TOCs/FOCs you’re interested in applying to for information specific to them and that should help you well on your way.

Becoming a train driver will require a lot of effort, perseverance and patience on your part, but it is highly worth it. Good luck! :)

Abdu

Becoming a train driver simply starts with you applying to become one.
Have a look at which Train Operating Companies (TOCs) or Freight Operating Companies (FOCs) have Driver depots within no more than a 60 minute travel time from you, (There’s a handy ‘Driver Depot’ thread below this one for that) and check their vacancies list daily for ‘Trainee’ train driver vacancies. (You can’t apply for ‘Qualified’ Train Driver vacancies unless you have a certain degree of experience as a current train driver already).

Once a vacancy appears which you want to apply for, apply for it, keeping in mind that the vacancy may be pulled at any time before the listed closing date due to the sheer number of applicants who go for it.
Many application forms will include competency based questions for you to answer too, so keep a record of your answers which you can work on and improve should you be unsuccessful the first time around.
If you’re successful at the application stage you will then undergo a lengthy recruitment process which involves multiple assessment days and interviews, some of which you can only attempt twice in your lifetime, but all of them are covered extensively in this very useful forum to help prepare you for them.

Have a read through the pinned threads at the top, such as this ‘Becoming a Train Driver’ thread, plus look up threads for the TOCs/FOCs you’re interested in applying to for information specific to them and that should help you well on your way.

Becoming a train driver will require a lot of effort, perseverance and patience on your part, but it is highly worth it. Good luck! :)
Thank you very much

Alex clark

Good evening everyone.

I’ve got to a point where I want to give up being a long distance lorry driver, but still want to travel for a living, becoming a train driver just seems the next best thing, so I just need help on where to begin? What sites should I be looking on for trainee train drivers ect? Any help would be most welcome.

Nevergiveup

First group careers
Gtr railway careers
Apply.abellio.com
Freightliner careers

Good evening everyone.

I’ve got to a point where I want to give up being a long distance lorry driver, but still want to travel for a living, becoming a train driver just seems the next best thing, so I just need help on where to begin? What sites should I be looking on for trainee train drivers ect? Any help would be most welcome.

Man Cave

Hello All

Currently considering a change of career and Train Driving seems to be worthy of further investigation. I live in the West Midlands and I'm currently trying to I.D. the Train Operating Companies who are actually based here and not just pass through. Google isn't being helpful in this regard. Could someone signpost me to the correct list of TOCs please? There appears to be companies and consortium's that operate passenger trains, freight trains and the railway network.

Many Thanks in Advance

EDIT
West Mids TOCs

Chiltern Railways
Cross Country
London Northwestern
Transport for Wales
Virgin Trains
West Midlands Railway

National freight
Colas Rail
DB Cargo UK
DC Rail
Direct Services Rail
GB Rail freight
Freight Liner Group

Are these correct?

Last edited:

Liam sloan

Hi all,

I currently work for arriva as a bus driver and have been for a while , I've always wanted to become a train driver and feel the experience I've gain as a bus driver could benefit me by transferring my skills to the trains.

I've been searching high and low for the last year for a trainee train driver position, but with no joy.

Does anyone have any tips of the direction I need to go in?