• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Lee0901

Hello ,

I am due to go for a interview/assessment centre on 18th of Feb for Trainee Train. I have look at requirements and text I will be doing on day and was wondering if anyone had links for test I can download to practice .
Hope this makes sense any help appreciated.
Debz
The group bourdon test is on here to download and I found this site helpful
https://traineetraindriverinfo.com/e-products/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mandz15

Hi Debz, I've been given this date to attend as well. I applied in May of last year and decided I'd been unsuccessful.
How much study time you planning on each week?
Good luck!

Hello ,

I am due to go for a interview/assessment centre on 18th of Feb for Trainee Train. I have look at requirements and text I will be doing on day and was wondering if anyone had links for test I can download to practice .
Hope this makes sense any help appreciated.
Debz

Applepie356

I have an assessment day soon for the train shunter role. I got sent practice material and my goodness, it’s all so overwhelming!

I’m not so much concerned about all the tests but it’s the MMI. I can practice answers using STAR but it’s the fear of my mind going blank when I get asked about a scenario! I have 9 days to go over all the practice material!

if anyone has some tips for MMI that would be great!

Are they expecting you to do the MMI on the same day as the paper and computer tests? Normally the MMI is either a separate day or you pass the paper tests and get invited to a 2nd day which includes the MMI - assuming you pass the computer tests.

Applepie356

Are they expecting you to do the MMI on the same day as the paper and computer tests? Normally the MMI is either a separate day or you pass the paper tests and get invited to a 2nd day which includes the MMI - assuming you pass the computer tests.

Not sure, my assessment day slot is 9-12. Is that long enough to include MMI?

Not sure, my assessment day slot is 9-12. Is that long enough to include MMI?

No, I'd say that was for the paper tests only - Group Bourdon etc. If you pass those then you'll be invited back to do the computer tests and if you pass those, the MMI. If I were you I'd familiarise yourself with the tests but just practice the group bourdon.

Applepie356

No, I'd say that was for the paper tests only - Group Bourdon etc. If you pass those then you'll be invited back to do the computer tests and if you pass those, the MMI. If I were you I'd familiarise yourself with the tests but just practice the group bourdon.

Ok thanks for that. The group bourdon test I got given from the TOC is crossing out the letter ‘D’ in a sea of letters. I get 1 minute per page. Is that good practice or am I better off finding the dots version of the test?

Ok thanks for that. The group bourdon test I got given from the TOC is crossing out the letter ‘D’ in a sea of letters. I get 1 minute per page. Is that good practice or am I better off finding the dots version of the test?

You can download a PC version of the GB test from this forum (its a sticky thread) which is very useful to practice with (but don't overdo it). You can also print tests out on paper, which is what you will get on the actual day.

Applepie356

You can download a PC version of the GB test from this forum (its a sticky thread) which is very useful to practice with (but don't overdo it). You can also print tests out on paper, which is what you will get on the actual day.
Is there I target I should aim for? I manage to complete 9 rows per sheet with around 2-3 omissions. Although I do think I’ll be a tad faster when trying the print-outs.

Is there I target I should aim for? I manage to complete 9 rows per sheet with around 2-3 omissions. Although I do think I’ll be a tad faster when trying the print-outs.

Nobody really knows what the pass mark is, but the consensus is that around 10 lines with no omissions or errors (or as close to none as possible) will get you a pass. Its a combination of speed and accuracy.

I found the paper tests easier than the computer ones and I think a number of people on here have said the same.

Applepie356

Nobody really knows what the pass mark is, but the consensus is that around 10 lines with no omissions or errors (or as close to none as possible) will get you a pass. Its a combination of speed and accuracy.

I found the paper tests easier than the computer ones and I think a number of people on here have said the same.

From what I’ve seen the group bourdon is the main one where you’ll fail if you don’t prepare?

Is there any other tests that are known to be hard that I should practice? Obviously you can’t really practice the computer based tests (I’m a gamer if that helps lol) Thanks for the help you have given me.

From what I’ve seen the group bourdon is the main one where you’ll fail if you don’t prepare?

Is there any other tests that are known to be hard that I should practice? Obviously you can’t really practice the computer based tests (I’m a gamer if that helps lol) Thanks for the help you have given me.

Group bourdon is the only one (IMHO) that is worth spending any time practicing on- and you will improve if you do. However don't spend long periods of time on it as you'll start to make mistakes

You're welcome!

jimmyshaker

Having applied last May and not heard a peep, I'm now doing an assessment in Glasgow on Wednesday on GB, TEA-OCC and TRP 1 & 2 on Wednesday.

Have been doing the Group Bourdon for a fortnight. Started by getting through 10/11 lines with about 6 omissions per test, but am now down to 9 complete lines and change with anything between 0 and 4 omissions. Now got to the point where I know if I've finished the ninth line it's time to change page, give or take a few seconds. Trying to do one or two tests a day, as after that the scores go through the floor (or roof, not sure). Downloaded the computer one but have concentrated on the paper one for a week.

The rest of the tests don't seem too bad, tho the practice ones I've been sent are quite the thing. Staring at sheets of Q's for half an hour was fun.

Applepie356

I’m able to get my omissions down to 1-2 across 5 pages with 10-11 lines completed for the GB. Hopefully with more practice I can get that to 0.

Is the TEA-Occ difficult? The high-low tones part is probably simple but I’m more concerned about the phone directory thing.

Information I find about that is conflicting, can anyone elaborate on what it is?

Applepie356

So I have been searching the forums, are the six questions always these? Or is it six questions out of a possible like 30 they ask you?

Describe a time when you followed rules and procedures:

Describe a time when you have solved a difficult problem

Describe a time when you have been on a training course over 2weeks or greatest achievement:

Describe a time when you have handled an emergency situation:

Describe a time when you have worked for long periods of time alone:

Describe a role you do similar to a train driver

akasutts

So I have been searching the forums, are the six questions always these? Or is it six questions out of a possible like 30 they ask you?

Describe a time when you followed rules and procedures:

Describe a time when you have solved a difficult problem

Describe a time when you have been on a training course over 2weeks or greatest achievement:

Describe a time when you have handled an emergency situation:

Describe a time when you have worked for long periods of time alone:

Describe a role you do similar to a train driver

Hi applepie356

Yes they're more or less those questions however the wording may vary slightly.

As long as you have a good few examples in your head you will be able to find a way of making them fit the question.

Good luck.

Applepie356

Hi applepie356

Yes they're more or less those questions however the wording may vary slightly.

As long as you have a good few examples in your head you will be able to find a way of making them fit the question.

Good luck.

As a bus driver I have quite a bit of situations to use but what about solving a difficult problem? That’s the only one I can’t think of a situation I had.

Val3ntine

As a bus driver I have quite a bit of situations to use but what about solving a difficult problem? That’s the only one I can’t think of a situation I had.

Have you ever been requested to curtail your bus early due to disruption? You had to pass that news over to your passengers? I’m assuming some weren’t happy about the continual delay and now on top of that being turfed off the bus and having to wait in the freezing cold for another one. Remember it’s all your fault, how did you deal with that? What methods did you use to calm the situation and help them to understand what’s going on?

Twotwo

Have you ever been requested to curtail your bus early due to disruption? You had to pass that news over to your passengers? I’m assuming some weren’t happy about the continual delay and now on top of that being turfed off the bus and having to wait in the freezing cold for another one. Remember it’s all your fault, how did you deal with that? What methods did you use to calm the situation and help them to understand what’s going on?

Also, has there been an incident where you've had to divert your bus due to a emergency . How did you keep the passengers informed? Was anyone hostile and how did you deal with it?

Wheelchair vs pushchair? Im sure there must be a few.

Anyone had a fit/collapse etc on your train?

Applepie356

Also, has there been an incident where you've had to divert your bus due to a emergency . How did you keep the passengers informed? Was anyone hostile and how did you deal with it?

Wheelchair vs pushchair? Im sure there must be a few.

Anyone had a fit/collapse etc on your train?

Thanks for the help. I was just wondering if they was looking for anything specific in a difficult situation.

Hopefully my experience as a bus driver will pay off when it comes to the MMI.

MatthewLdn

Evening all, has anyone here sat the computer assessments, and if so, how did you prepare for them? Especially the 2-hand co-ordination and wafv. Appreciate any advice given.

Evening all, has anyone here sat the computer assessments, and if so, how did you prepare for them? Especially the 2-hand co-ordination and wafv. Appreciate any advice given.

There really isn't much you can do to practice for the computer tests, so I wouldn't worry about it. The main thing is to get plenty of rest the night before as they do require you to concentrate, which will be much harder if you're tired.

Applepie356

Pleased to say that I passed the paper and the computer tests! Thanks to those who made the tool and forum members for their help!

Unfortunately at this TOC they do DMI first then the MMI. DMI is said to be harder to pass and will be a structured interview.

PickleTree

Pleased to say that I passed the paper and the computer tests! Thanks to those who made the tool and forum members for their help!

Unfortunately at this TOC they do DMI first then the MMI. DMI is said to be harder to pass and will be a structured interview.
I think you will find that people's opinions are quite divided over which is harder of the two. I haven't had my DMI yet but I found the MMI intense and like no other interview I have had before. I am used to structured interviews and using examples to answer the questions however I found the MMI was heavily focused on the psychological side of things and that this was to make sure you weren't making your answer up! Either way good luck.