• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coach Carter

What is your experience? The train driver medical is an eye test using a letter chart and a colour blindness test.
The post asked what tests a prospective driver has to pass before being accepted as a trainee and then gave eyesight and colour blindness as examples. I’m pretty sure they wanted to know about the others as well. If we are just talking about the medical it still involved eye sight, colour blindness, hearing, drugs and alcohol, ecg, blood pressure. If yours didn’t then I’d be checking pretty quick with occupational health department

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
The post asked what tests a prospective driver has to pass before being accepted as a trainee and then gave eyesight and colour blindness as examples. I’m pretty sure they wanted to know about the others as well. If we are just talking about the medical it still involved eye sight, colour blindness, hearing, drugs and alcohol, ecg, blood pressure. If yours didn’t then I’d be checking pretty quick with occupational health department
I understand now - thanks. Yes the medical includes all of those things. I thought that we were talking only about the vision aspects of the medical, and that you were implying you had some other sort of advanced eye test.

JLX5

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question but I didn’t want to make an entire new thread just for this...

I’m due assessments in Watford in very early January. I emailed the TOC last week when Watford went into tier 3 and they said the tests will still go ahead as they can ensure COVID guidelines are met. However with this afternoons news on London and surrounding areas including Watford going in to tier 4, does anybody have my idea if this will stop testing now? I don’t want to email the TOC again asking because I don’t want to appear as though I’m pestering them.

CPFC#1

In my experience, the recruitment team will contact you as soon as they can if there is any changes to your assessments. The TOCs are hearing the covid announcements the same time as the rest of us so I don't think emailing them right away will help. It will be in their best interests to let people know of any changes as soon as they possibly can. Just stay patient, it will happen for you.

JLX5

In my experience, the recruitment team will contact you as soon as they can if there is any changes to your assessments. The TOCs are hearing the covid announcements the same time as the rest of us so I don't think emailing them right away will help. It will be in their best interests to let people know of any changes as soon as they possibly can. Just stay patient, it will happen for you.
Many thanks, I think it’s just the wanting to get it done that is bugging me.

CPFC#1

I did my computer assessments during the 2nd lockdown as they said it was still work related so they allowed it to go ahead. I think you will be fine (fingers crossed)

dzdoris

I did my computer assessments during the 2nd lockdown as they said it was still work related so they allowed it to go ahead. I think you will be fine (fingers crossed)
Yes fingers crossed! I'm really hoping that's how they'll treat it as I just want to get it out of the way now :)

Welsh lady

In s.wales we were in local lockdowns during my assessments and same as above because it is work related they were allowed to go ahead. Hopefully you get to do yours! The wait feels long enough without additional delays!

dzdoris

In s.wales we were in local lockdowns during my assessments and same as above because it is work related they were allowed to go ahead. Hopefully you get to do yours! The wait feels long enough without additional delays!
Thank you, it really does feel like a long time coming!

dzdoris

I would be surprised if they were cancelled. All TOCs are going ahead with driver training now as far as I know as there is getting to be a huge shortage having stopped for almost a full year.
Thank you, sounds promising! I have a hotel booked tomorrow night so I'm just going to ring for clarity. Haven't heard anything from the hotel yet so hoping that's a good sign :)

I would be surprised if they were cancelled. All TOCs are going ahead with driver training now as far as I know as there is getting to be a huge shortage having stopped for almost a full year.
Well I rang the OPC and they told me to contact WMR. I can't find a telephone number for them so I emailed and asked the question. I've just been sent an exact copy of my confirmation booking email. Think I'm just going to go down seeing as how I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

*Edit

Informed by email at 12:13 it's cancelled. On the phone to the hotel to see if I can amend my booking. Any changes should have been made by midday. Gutted...I was all prepared and ready to go. Such is life!

Last edited:

JLX5

Thank you, sounds promising! I have a hotel booked tomorrow night so I'm just going to ring for clarity. Haven't heard anything from the hotel yet so hoping that's a good sign :)

Well I rang the OPC and they told me to contact WMR. I can't find a telephone number for them so I emailed and asked the question. I've just been sent an exact copy of my confirmation booking email. Think I'm just going to go down seeing as how I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

*Edit

Informed by email at 12:13 it's cancelled. On the phone to the hotel to see if I can amend my booking. Any changes should have been made by midday. Gutted...I was all prepared and ready to go. Such is life!
I've now been told mine has also been cancelled, awaiting a new date!

JLX5

So frustrating isn't it! Thankfully the hotel has allowed me to hold the booking. Here's hoping it's not long before we get a new date :)
It is, I have to admit, but at least it gives us time to get some more practice in. I'm sure it won't be long before a new date!

Anthony R

Anybody heard of when the OPC assessments will be taking place?
Nothing’s from the opc. I don’t expect they will be doing anything until lockdown is relaxed. So prob March time. Obviously understandable and right but I’m so exhausted by covid now. I’m still hopeful they might do the mmi part over zoom.

Faz.M

Nothing’s from the opc. I don’t expect they will be doing anything until lockdown is relaxed. So prob March time. Obviously understandable and right but I’m so exhausted by covid now. I’m still hopeful they might do the mmi part over zoom.
Mmi over zoom would defo be a treat :D

ILoveLamp

I’ve had a DMI over Teams which went really well but I doubt they would be allowed to do any testing remotely unfortunately

Coach Carter

You could have answers, reminders or anything pinned to walls etc to help you if you did it from home. Has to be in person so can they can ensure it’s all done fairly.