• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sub12

Hi all, apologies if it's already been asked or covered but an answer to the following :
In part 3 of the TEA occ test, can you use a pen/pencil to keep track of both the symbols and tones counted? I'm a bit concerned if I run out of fingers and toes!

Dynamonic

Hi all, apologies if it's already been asked or covered but an answer to the following :
In part 3 of the TEA occ test, can you use a pen/pencil to keep track of both the symbols and tones counted? I'm a bit concerned if I run out of fingers and toes!

No. You’ll be asked to put your pens in front of you during the tone counting parts.

Dynamonic

Thanks for the super swift reply, so does this mean I have to count what I see and what I hear at the same time in my head? : (

In Part 3, you essentially have a break from finding symbols to count the tones. So, whilst you're looking for symbols, at certain intervals, you'll be told to put your pens down, count the tones, write down your answer, then go back to symbol hunting for a bit. :)

Sub12

In Part 3, you essentially have a break from finding symbols to count the tones. So, whilst you're looking for symbols, at certain intervals, you'll be told to put your pens down, count the tones, write down your answer, then go back to symbol hunting for a bit. :)

Thanks Dynamonic!

Really appreciate it.

Coach Carter

I’m pretty sure when I did it part three was looking for the symbols at same time as counting the tones

Dynamonic

I must be remembering it wrong, so sorry about the confusion. o_O It was a few years ago for me now.:lol:

If I recall correctly though, all the tones were the same in this part, so you count every tone in Part 3, instead of just the low tones as in Part 2.

Last edited:

PickleTree

I completed my TEA-OCC in January and stage 1 is just tones, stage 2 is symbols and stage 3 is them combined together so yes you have to count the tones at the same time as looking for the relevant symbols.

Coach Carter

I must be remembering it wrong, so sorry about the confusion. o_O It was a few years ago for me now.:lol:

If I recall correctly though, all the tones were the same in this part, so you count every tone in Part 3, instead of just the low tones as in Part 2.
Nope the tones are still high and low tones, you only count the one your told to

Twotwo

Nope the tones are still high and low tones, you only count the one your told to

Nope. First one was either low or high tones only (can't remember which one we had to do now) Second was symbols. And the third one you count all the tones but I'm sure they were all either low or high and not a mixture of both.

Tjn15.05

First post on here......
Am looking for a career change and have always wanted to become a train driver. So have been doing my research and was just wondering how often do southeastern recruit for trainee train drivers?

Thank you in advance

PickleTree

First post on here......
Am looking for a career change and have always wanted to become a train driver. So have been doing my research and was just wondering how often do southeastern recruit for trainee train drivers?

Thank you in advance
Welcome to the forum, you will find it extremely useful when it comes to starting your journey. For a particular TOC it is best to sign up to their trainee driver job alerts and keep checking their website most days.

Good Luck!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Is the train driver standards the same as becoming a guard is eyesight etc.
Guards medicals are slightly less stringent (they don't do an ECG for example) but as with ALL safety critical roles, you can't have defective colour vision. For all roles, it's the Ishihara test

Harper6731

Hey all

What tests do prospective train drivers have to pass before being accepted as trainees? Colour blindness? Eyesight?

Advice appreciated.
Hi all apologies for jumping on this thread.
I’m about to do my trainee driver SHL testing .
The visual representation test on SHL seems so much harder than any of the non SHL practice tests I’ve been doing on line . There is no way to see where you have gone wrong to learn to see any patterns.
Does anyone have any tips please

Stead7

Hi all, just applying for trainee train driver and one of the questions is our train drivers are told to think like a customer " how do you think a train driver can contribute to customer satisfaction?

Is what they are looking for here like i.e I'll make sure I get enough sleep so it'll help me do my job properly, helping me stay concentrated and setting my alarm at reasonable time to give me enough time to get to work without rushing and being on time so customers can get to their destination safely and on time"

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all, just applying for trainee train driver and one of the questions is our train drivers are told to think like a customer " how do you think a train driver can contribute to customer satisfaction?

Is what they are looking for here like i.e I'll make sure I get enough sleep so it'll help me do my job properly, helping me stay concentrated and setting my alarm at reasonable time to give me enough time to get to work without rushing and being on time so customers can get to their destination safely and on time"
Concentrate on NTS (non-technical skills) as the railway love that (it’s probably best to just Google NTS as I’d be here all day explaining otherwise, but it’s quite self explanatory). You’re on the right track (pardon the pun :D) with the examples you gave above I think. It’s quite an open question to be honest, so if you focus on NTS and safety and put that all together under the umbrella of customer satisfaction, you can’t go far wrong.

Good luck!

FastTrax

guys, I wanted your opinion. I understand lot of people don't like people asking for the insight etc but would it be wrong to ask for the material the TOC send you before the they invite you for the test. the practice/test material they send you to say what they test they will be doing and how its done etc.
just to be clear i have not been invited to anything and waiting for teh Bletchley result but just, 1) curious 2) want to familiarise with it.
I am not even sure wheather its sent in PDF format or they send you a ling to practice it on their website etc.
not want to piss people off but IF its ok and sharing teh material is not frowned upon then i would greatly appreciate if someone can kindly share it with me. if not then thanks for reading the post and wont ask again.
thanks

LCC106

Established Member
It would be highly unlikely that a TOC would send you the information prior to inviting you to assessment. Several reasons, they are far too busy, it is a bizarre request in the first place and it would potentially put you at an advantage over others. Indeed, your application may not be strong enough to warrant an invite at all. Better to practice the Group Bourdon and brush up on Non Technical Skills. Good luck!

Stead7

Concentrate on NTS (non-technical skills) as the railway love that (it’s probably best to just Google NTS as I’d be here all day explaining otherwise, but it’s quite self explanatory). You’re on the right track (pardon the pun :D) with the examples you gave above I think. It’s quite an open question to be honest, so if you focus on NTS and safety and put that all together under the umbrella of customer satisfaction, you can’t go far wrong.

Good luck!
Thank you

Stead7

Hi all, i'm still in the middle of sorting my application out for trainee train driver for TFW via the acorn site. On one of the questions it's asking for a minimum of 100 to a maximum of 200 words, I originally had over 350 words and now have just managed shorten it to 235 and I have to be honest i'm struggling to get it within the requirements without making it sound good. Would my application automatically get rejected???

kickin aff

Hi all, i'm still in the middle of sorting my application out for trainee train driver for TFW via the acorn site. On one of the questions it's asking for a minimum of 100 to a maximum of 200 words, I originally had over 350 words and now have just managed shorten it to 235 and I have to be honest i'm struggling to get it within the requirements without making it sound good. Would my application automatically get rejected???

Yes. One of the key fundamental characteristics of a driver is the ability to follow instructions.

Flyboy

Stead7 - exactly as kickin aff said. It's good that you're over rather than under at the moment but you need to trim it down a little more as you MUST NOT exceed the 200 word limit. By going above the specified number of words you're exceeding a limit so in the assessor's eyes you wouldn't have a problem exceeding a line speed.

Jay.hgv

Hi, I've just come across this thread after I have been invited for the next stage of the process. To complete the tests etc.
On the email it says that a suit isn't necessary, and to dress comfortably. I'm just a bit dubious as to whether or not it is a bit of a trick because for me first impressions count?
Thank you in advance

Stigy

Established Member
Hi, I've just come across this thread after I have been invited for the next stage of the process. To complete the tests etc.
On the email it says that a suit isn't necessary, and to dress comfortably. I'm just a bit dubious as to whether or not it is a bit of a trick because for me first impressions count?
Thank you in advance
It’s not a trick. First impressions do count, but at this stage comfort is paramount. Although (I’m assuming) it’s the OPC conducting these tests and there’s not usually anyone from the company there anyway, I’d usually go in trousers, shoes and a shirt anyway (no tie potentially). It’s still relatively comfortable but not exactly a three piece suit. More smart casual. Good luck!

choochoochoo

Established Member
It’s not a trick. First impressions do count, but at this stage comfort is paramount. Although (I’m assuming) it’s the OPC conducting these tests and there’s not usually anyone from the company there anyway, I’d usually go in trousers, shoes and a shirt anyway (no tie potentially). It’s still relatively comfortable but not exactly a three piece suit. More smart casual. Good luck!
Agreed, I never wore a suit for the assessment days. Only wore it for DMI.

Wore shirt, trousers and shoes. You have to be comfortable to perform at your best.

Jay.hgv

Thank you, I've been sent a pack to work through with practice questions etc said to be expected to be therefor around 4 hours completing them all. Seems like a very long process from what I have read on here this evening.

Agreed, I never wore a suit for the assessment days. Only wore it for DMI.

Wore shirt, trousers and shoes. You have to be comfortable to perform at your best.

Thank you!

DJP78

On Moderation
Does anyone that's recently been through the assessment process know roughly how long the reading comprehension extract usually is please? I.e., 4, 5,6 paragraphs.

Any idea of likely pass marks required?

Thanks