• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

SVDW995

Thank you, all.

My husband is saying that drivers obviously wear trousers, and turning up in a (smart) dress will imply that I don’t understand that role. Hopefully that shouldn’t be the impression, I am just a short, dumpy lady who doesn’t own smart trousers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kay_M

Good morning all

I did stage one of my assessments last year. That Included the TEA-OCC, Group Bourdon and the DFFT. I haven't done the ATAVT, WAFV or the VSE as of yet.

If anyone on here has any practice material that they could recommend me or put me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

SVDW995

Thank you! Any news for your assessments yet??
I've PM'd you :)

Also, not sure if it's well known, but the OPC have practice material for train driver tests on their website (you can download for a fee): https://www.theopc.co.uk/assessment/ - click on to job role, and then train driver.

Some tests have a snippet of free info, then you need to pay for more. Posting this just in case it helps someone.

Another question for the hive mind: do you have to a driver fault finding test for Northern assessment days? Bit unclear as no mention of DFFT in the practice material, but some people have said DFFT is now included where TOCs require enhanced passes? If it's not clear, I'll e-mail Northern for clarification tomorrow. Thanks!

Catweasel

I have yes! That's super exciting! Congratulations and hopefully we might end up training together!
Awesome, congrats on getting through, and yes, hopefully on the same course! I still can't quite believe I've got through! Don't think it will sink in until I get a date for the course!

BWCB

Can anyone give me some hope?

I failed the 2 hand co-ordination last week (stupidly rushed it, went at it faster than necessary), so didn’t get to do the SJT and MMI. Passed the paper tests, WAVF and ATAVT to enhanced standard. Gutted doesn’t cover it.

I know I have one “life” left, but can anyone tell me some positive stories of becoming a train driver after a fail at the psychometric stage? I need to hear them, feel very disappointed. I hope I can one day try again. Cheers.

richfoz84

I failed Bourdon & SJT on my first try, So didn’t get to the MMI stage. I passed almost everything else. I was gutted but waited 6 months then re-applied and found out you don’t resit anything you had passed on the first try; so it gave me the chance to practice the 2 things I would retake rather than everything.
I passed 2nd tome round and I’m now currently in training academy!
It can be done.
Chin up & good luck for the next go!

SVDW995

I failed Bourdon & SJT on my first try, So didn’t get to the MMI stage. I passed almost everything else. I was gutted but waited 6 months then re-applied and found out you don’t resit anything you had passed on the first try; so it gave me the chance to practice the 2 things I would retake rather than everything.
It can be done.
Good to hear, I’m in the same boat as poster above. Glad there is still actual hope, and that it can be done. Thanks for sharing @richfoz84.

Jason2m

It can be done.
Good to hear these examples and well done on getting there.
I failed the CBI a couple of weeks back agter passing all 7 other tests. Got told by OPC I failed on 1 question which was extremely hard to hear.
Fingers crossed for 6 months time.

S-Car-Go

Good to hear these examples and well done on getting there.
I failed the CBI a couple of weeks back agter passing all 7 other tests. Got told by OPC I failed on 1 question which was extremely hard to hear.
Fingers crossed for 6 months time.
I know exactly what that feels like, having had the same situation. Passed it all and was 1 mark short of passing the CBI.
2nd time passed it all, but unsuccessful at DMI.
3rd time lucky for me, and now being instructed at the mainline handling stage.

Did they tell you which question you fell down on or give feedback?

You're nearly there!

Last edited:

rakoczigabi

Can anyone give me some hope?

I failed the 2 hand co-ordination last week (stupidly rushed it, went at it faster than necessary), so didn’t get to do the SJT and MMI. Passed the paper tests, WAVF and ATAVT to enhanced standard. Gutted doesn’t cover it.

I know I have one “life” left, but can anyone tell me some positive stories of becoming a train driver after a fail at the psychometric stage? I need to hear them, feel very disappointed. I hope I can one day try again. Cheers.

Hi ,
If you search for my name you’ll find my story somewhere.
I have failed the same test as you. It was the last test and I was crazy annoyed with myself.
I would have felt better if I fail at the beginning , then I’d known I’m not good enough. But i felt like a totally failure failing the last test.
That was back in may 2017ish, I didn’t try the tests like almost a year later. I had no motivation and felt like I’ll fail again. At the end I’ve contacted with my TOC and said I would love to try it again.
I had to re do all the tests on the computer because they couldn’t just select the last one, pleased to say I’ve passed :)

Then a while later ( October 2019 ) I had my DMI interview and then MMI.
Started train driving school exactly a year ago.

So don’t give up , and don’t stress about it.
I really wish now I would tried the test sooner , when the 6months wait was up.

Rocco 698

I have read somewhere that if you are successful at the Train Driver Assessment Centre then that 'pass' is valid for 5 years. But I've also read that after passing the TDAC you must have begun driver training with your TOC within 12 months. Could anyone offer any accurate information re this issue? (I have an assessment centre soon but might not be able to start immediately). Many thanks.

Stigy

Established Member
I have read somewhere that if you are successful at the Train Driver Assessment Centre then that 'pass' is valid for 5 years. But I've also read that after passing the TDAC you must have begun driver training with your TOC within 12 months. Could anyone offer any accurate information re this issue? (I have an assessment centre soon but might not be able to start immediately). Many thanks.
The passes are valid for 1-5 years depending on TOC/FOC, but there’s no requirement to start training within 12 months. That would surely defeat the object of having a series of tests that are valid for up to 5 years?

Rocco 698

The passes are valid for 1-5 years depending on TOC/FOC, but there’s no requirement to start training within 12 months. That would surely defeat the object of having a series of tests that are valid for up to 5 years?
Thank you my friend. I find that reassuring.

Stigy

Established Member
Thank you my friend. I find that reassuring.
Worth bearing in mind though that some TOCs/FOCs will insist you retake the tests regardless of when you did them. Most will allow your passes as advised above though.

Jason2m

I know exactly what that feels like, having had the same situation. Passed it all and was 1 mark short of passing the CBI.
2nd time passed it all, but unsuccessful at DMI.
3rd time lucky for me, and now being instructed at the mainline handling stage.

Did they tell you which question you fell down on or give feedback?

You're nearly there!
Thanks for the reply mate

They said it was the question where they asked me to give an example where I have been in an unexpected emergency situation.

At least I know what to expect next time.

S-Car-Go

Thanks for the reply mate

They said it was the question where they asked me to give an example where I have been in an unexpected emergency situation.

At least I know what to expect next time.
Sounds like you were well prepared for the other questions. Just need to perfect your answer for that 1, or come up with a stronger example.

TCX320

Can anyone offer me any advice here - out of the blue got the offer of an assessment for trainee driver with DB next year sometime. Was for a job I applied for months earlier so glad to finally hear from them. Can anyone give me advice about the interview and assessment process as I'm not in the rail industry but coming from one that used psychometric testing and simulation to excess.
Looking to start building a new career so hopefully opportunities will be forthcoming for all.

LCC106

Established Member
There is a wealth of the information you are looking for right here and on numerous threads. There is a search facility that will help you too. Unless you have any more specific questions, it has all been covered numerous times. Good luck with your DB assessments.

Theodoor

So I've noticed that a couple of applications ask something along the lines of:

"Our customer service teams are often tasked with solving problems for customers, so having the skills to assess a situation and consider practical options for resolving issues is paramount in the role. As we operate 24/7, you may be asked to work an early or late shift. Can you advise on details of your journey and what you would do if you were unable to use public transport?"

Which seems like they're really asking whether you have a car or not. It's not in the job description that I can see but has anyone that's been further down the process found that to be an issue? I'm considering just saying I would use a PHV or that I would be willing to purchase a vehicle once accepted for the role?

Comfy

So I've noticed that a couple of applications ask something along the lines of:

"Our customer service teams are often tasked with solving problems for customers, so having the skills to assess a situation and consider practical options for resolving issues is paramount in the role. As we operate 24/7, you may be asked to work an early or late shift. Can you advise on details of your journey and what you would do if you were unable to use public transport?"

Which seems like they're really asking whether you have a car or not. It's not in the job description that I can see but has anyone that's been further down the process found that to be an issue? I'm considering just saying I would use a PHV or that I would be willing to purchase a vehicle once accepted for the role?
Its not an obligation to own a car but you will need to convince them you are reliable and can get in when public transport isn't running.