• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Becoming a trainee train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheena

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice? I've just applied for a trainee train driver with GTR recently and submitted my application on the 13th December. Whilst I wait to hear back from them, I would like to start practising some psychometric tests to get myself prepared for any testing that they give. I've been on the internet to find psychometric test websites and there is always a fee to buy the tests. Does anyone know if there is any free testing questions anywhere online that I can go to or do I have to pay for the tests?

Thanks all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If you are invited for testing the company you applied for will send you relevant practice material. In my opinion there is no need to pay for additional material as it's relatively simple to understand and pass with the practice material they give you. The Group Bourdon Tool discussion is useful if you want to find a discussion on that aspect of the testing. It is always at the top of the first page in this section of the forum.

sheena

If you are invited for testing the company you applied for will send you relevant practice material. In my opinion there is no need to pay for additional material as it's relatively simple to understand and pass with the practice material they give you. The Group Bourdon Tool discussion is useful if you want to find a discussion on that aspect of the testing. It is always at the top of the first page in this section of the forum.

Thank you for the advice, really appreciate it. If there is any other advice that anyone can offer, I would be extremely grateful!

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Thank you for the advice, really appreciate it. If there is any other advice that anyone can offer, I would be extremely grateful!
The only thing worth practising at this stage would be the Group Bourdon Test. The remaining tests are ones that you either cannot usefully practice for, or ones that need only a basic familiarisation as given by the practice materials and then your innate ability will determine whether you pass or fail them on the day. I am not saying this to try and 'gatekeep' the train driver role - it is genuinely true that it is very difficult to either prepare or practice for most of the tests. That is the way they are designed.

With that said, if you do wish to overprepare and risk stressing yourself out, if you search this forum or Google for "train driver psychometrics" or "psychometric preparation" or something similar then you will find endless topics discussing the matter, many with some great advice and descriptions of each individual test.

sheena

The only thing worth practising at this stage would be the Group Bourdon Test. The remaining tests are ones that you either cannot usefully practice for, or ones that need only a basic familiarisation as given by the practice materials and then your innate ability will determine whether you pass or fail them on the day. I am not saying this to try and 'gatekeep' the train driver role - it is genuinely true that it is very difficult to either prepare or practice for most of the tests. That is the way they are designed.

With that said, if you do wish to overprepare and risk stressing yourself out, if you search this forum or Google for "train driver psychometrics" or "psychometric preparation" or something similar then you will find endless topics discussing the matter, many with some great advice and descriptions of each individual test.
Thank you, this is very helpful indeed! I was starting to youtube some info and saw a few tests and got a bit stressed out already! I was tempted to buy some online psychometric tests for £9.99 which isn't going to break the bank but I think I will hold off for a while. I might not even get an interview, I only sent the application form in on the 13th December so with the Christmas holidays, I don't expect to hear anything back until mid January? Thanks again for being straight up with you advice.

I would take each step as they come. Joining the railway externally can be a long process and you don’t want to get too far ahead of yourself, especially when it comes to the psychometric exams.

If you’re offered to take the exams you will receive everything you need to help you practise.

sheena

I would take each step as they come. Joining the railway externally can be a long process and you don’t want to get too far ahead of yourself, especially when it comes to the psychometric exams.

If you’re offered to take the exams you will receive everything you need to help you practise.
Thank you for this, I'm delighted with all the responses to my questions. I probably was getting a bit anxious that I needed to do something to help me prepare for psychometric testing as i figure that there will be some math's tests involved? And Math's is not my strongest point but I thought, if I practice some maths test questions, it might help my confidence? I'm not totally crap at math's but still wanted to 'brush up' on some numerical test questions. As I said before, I might not even get selected as there are probably so many people applying for the same post even if there are 160 positions to fill!!

Really appreciate the help/advice.

scotraildriver

Established Member
There's no specific maths test. The tests are designed is such a way that some people can naturally pass them and some can't. This relates directly to the ability to do the job. The Internet has introduced the ability for people to "practise" the tests and pass them. However this has caused a greater drop out rate during training as there is less opportunity to "practise" during training if you don't have the natural ability. Not everyone of course, but the tests are designed to reflect your natural ability to do the job rather than a memory test.

Lewis H

Above basically hit the nail on the head, as with any sort of aptitude test, you’ve either got it or you haven’t. The only preparation I could think of that may help is any sort of Brain training apps, you’ll be able to see what level you’re at with various things such as multi tasking, memory etc. Also has been mentioned but don’t be disappointed if you don’t hear anything soon, you can almost be certain that the whole process will take a few months if not even over a year, it’s not uncommon!

Good luck with your application, if and when you do pass the tests, this forum has a wealth of information to help you with the interviews that come after!

sheena

There's no specific maths test. The tests are designed is such a way that some people can naturally pass them and some can't. This relates directly to the ability to do the job. The Internet has introduced the ability for people to "practise" the tests and pass them. However this has caused a greater drop out rate during training as there is less opportunity to "practise" during training if you don't have the natural ability. Not everyone of course, but the tests are designed to reflect your natural ability to do the job rather than a memory test.
I see, so you either have it or you don't. Well that's fair enough. I guess there's a certain type of person suited to train driving no matter how clever you are. Thanks again for the advice

Above basically hit the nail on the head, as with any sort of aptitude test, you’ve either got it or you haven’t. The only preparation I could think of that may help is any sort of Brain training apps, you’ll be able to see what level you’re at with various things such as multi tasking, memory etc. Also has been mentioned but don’t be disappointed if you don’t hear anything soon, you can almost be certain that the whole process will take a few months if not even over a year, it’s not uncommon!

Good luck with your application, if and when you do pass the tests, this forum has a wealth of information to help you with the interviews that come after!
The brain training app idea sounds good. I might look it up and start doing a bit of light training. I don't expect to hear from them very soon but I didn't think it would take them a few months. If my initial application was suitable, do you think they would let me know in the coming weeks if it was? And would they let me know if it was unsuccessful? Thanks for wishing me luck, I really hope I get selected!

CreamNCookies

Its a tough one, for one TOC I've been waiting nearly 3 months and my application is still under consideration, it closed in September. Another different TOC I found out my application passed to the next stage after around a week of the advert closing.

Essentially you just have to wait, railway recruitment isn't the fastest.

I see, so you either have it or you don't. Well that's fair enough. I guess there's a certain type of person suited to train driving no matter how clever you are. Thanks again for the advice

The brain training app idea sounds good. I might look it up and start doing a bit of light training. I don't expect to hear from them very soon but I didn't think it would take them a few months. If my initial application was suitable, do you think they would let me know in the coming weeks if it was? And would they let me know if it was unsuccessful? Thanks for wishing me luck, I really hope I get selected!
There is potential you could be waiting months simply due to the backlog of applicants, small HR teams and the time of year.

Jericho

The point of the tests is to see whether you can do them, not whether you can learn to do them. That is a key difference. You will be sent some but not all practice materials prior to your assessment day for these reasons. I would argue that seeking out extra resources is counter-productive. Your time would be better spent researching the job and thinking about the qualities you need for it. And as others have said, be prepared for a very very long wait. Railway recruitment is notoriously slow at the best of times, never mind in the middle of a pandemic.

DunfordBridge

The train driver assessments can be quite stressful, if only for the fear of the unexpected. My advice, if you have got time on your hands over the festive period, is to do what you can to familiarise yourself with the tests, maybe do some reading up on this forum about the different assessments. Even practising with the Group Bourdon can make a difference to your performance.

The TEA-OCC test came as a complete surprise to me. I was expecting to be bombarded with a quick succession of tones when the reality was much different. Thankfully, I soon got into the rhythm of it.

I would read up on the format of the GTR assessment days too. Some operators carry out every single assessment in one day whilst other operators prefer to stagger it over two days. The MMI, always the last test, if you get that far, is an interview which requires a great deal of preparation so you may need to spend time accordingly depending on the schedule of assessments.

skyhigh

Established Member
I have to echo the advice - I practiced the group bourdon test using the tool on here a couple of times a day the week before my assessment centre (I was given 8 days notice). I thoroughly read through the pack they sent out with information for the day, and that was it. I passed with no issues.

DunfordBridge

The point of the tests is to see whether you can do them, not whether you can learn to do them. That is a key difference. You will be sent some but not all practice materials prior to your assessment day for these reasons. I would argue that seeking out extra resources is counter-productive. Your time would be better spent researching the job and thinking about the qualities you need for it. And as others have said, be prepared for a very very long wait. Railway recruitment is notoriously slow at the best of times, never mind in the middle of a pandemic.

I would certainly agree with the part about determining the skills and qualities required to be a train driver which should place you in good stead for the MMI. The Non-Technical Skills can provide some useful pointers too.

As DB says above, the biggest favour you can do yourself is to have some foresight as to what tests are actually going to come up on the day. Avoiding startle factor will do you more favours than paying for random online material. There are more than enough free resources on Google/YouTube that will prepare you well for the day. That, and the widely available dot practice material.

EBlackmore

Hi all.

New to this forum and also like Sheena I have applied for a role with GTR. I was wondering if anyone could help and I hope it isn't a stupid question? I have done some research on what will be expected on the recruitment day (if I am lucky enough to be reach it that for) Does anyone know if there will be a maths test?

I stumbled across a mock practice test online and it had a math section. I was surprised as I cant see a math section mentioned on the forum. Doe we know if this will come up over the testing days as it is not a strong point for me so will really need to study on this.

Coach Carter

Hi all.

New to this forum and also like Sheena I have applied for a role with GTR. I was wondering if anyone could help and I hope it isn't a stupid question? I have done some research on what will be expected on the recruitment day (if I am lucky enough to be reach it that for) Does anyone know if there will be a maths test?

I stumbled across a mock practice test online and it had a math section. I was surprised as I cant see a math section mentioned on the forum. Doe we know if this will come up over the testing days as it is not a strong point for me so will really need to study on this.
Dont worry there’s no maths test during the assessments for trainee driver

DunfordBridge

As DB says above, the biggest favour you can do yourself is to have some foresight as to what tests are actually going to come up on the day. Avoiding startle factor will do you more favours than paying for random online material. There are more than enough free resources on Google/YouTube that will prepare you well for the day. That, and the widely available dot practice material.

I think of all the tests, only the Group Bourdon and the TRP tests were really familiar because I had completed them a few years previously and they still use the same scenario for the TRP glop test, even after all this time. I had seen the ATAVT and the joystick test on videos online. Quite thrown off by the TEA-OCC and the WAFV where I was expecting to see a simple alternating flicker effect instead of the fading effect where it becomes darker a few seconds after the block appears.

sheena

Sorry for the late response, thank you for the advice. I have seen Richard McMunns YouTube videos which seem ok

Dont worry there’s no maths test during the assessments for trainee driver
That’s a relief!!

Hincappie

I took a slightly different approach to most of the advice here. I practiced everything I could, bought a full pack of materials and practice aids, books, OPC practice assessments, everything I could get my hands on. I used every spare hour I had to familiarise myself with what to expect on the actual day. Once I got there, I had no nerves as I felt prepared and I walked it, including the MMI.

I'm now in the rail industry as a driver after working very hard at it.

There is no right and wrong. As the guys here say, some can get their head around them and some can't but, as with everything in life, in my opinion, preparation is key.

Best of luck.

sheena

I took a slightly different approach to most of the advice here. I practiced everything I could, bought a full pack of materials and practice aids, books, OPC practice assessments, everything I could get my hands on. I used every spare hour I had to familiarise myself with what to expect on the actual day. Once I got there, I had no nerves as I felt prepared and I walked it, including the MMI.

I'm now in the rail industry as a driver after working very hard at it.

There is no right and wrong. As the guys here say, some can get their head around them and some can't but, as with everything in life, in my opinion, preparation is key.

Best of luck.
What a refreshing bit of advice! All advice is gratefully appreciated. I do feel like I would like to prepare in some way. I know we are not born knowing but if I familiarise myself with some of the testing material, I might not feel so daunted when I finally have a test. Could you please advise where you obtained all the practice material? And by the way, well done you! What an achievement, it goes to show, if you really want something badly enough and you work hard at it, you will get there. I am also fully aware that it must take a certain type of person to be a train driver and there is an element of 'if you don't have it, there's nothing you can do'. A bit like teaching someone how to drive who will never be a driver even though they try! You either have it or you don't! (I used to be a driving instructor)!

Thank you Hincappie.

Hincappie

What a refreshing bit of advice! All advice is gratefully appreciated. I do feel like I would like to prepare in some way. I know we are not born knowing but if I familiarise myself with some of the testing material, I might not feel so daunted when I finally have a test. Could you please advise where you obtained all the practice material? And by the way, well done you! What an achievement, it goes to show, if you really want something badly enough and you work hard at it, you will get there. I am also fully aware that it must take a certain type of person to be a train driver and there is an element of 'if you don't have it, there's nothing you can do'. A bit like teaching someone how to drive who will never be a driver even though they try! You either have it or you don't! (I used to be a driving instructor)!

Thank you Hincappie.
I used a printable version of the group bourdon test, printed a shed load of copies of different tests (so they weren't all the same) and did a load at least once every day for months. The practice test on here is great but on the actual day you will do it on paper so get used to doing it that way. I also bought a pack of DVD's from eBay which were something like How2Become a Train Driver, Richard McMunn made them I think. They had similar versions of all of the different tests for you to practice. I actually bought these, copied the discs onto my laptop then put them back on eBay the same day and sold them for more than I paid for them so they didn't cost me a penny and were invaluable to me. I bought books of Train Driver questions too and did a lot of on line research into MMi and how to give yourself the best chance you could have of passing.

My advice, any question or test books you buy, write your answers on scrap paper. Don't write in the actual book then you can sell it on when you're done with it. That way all of these expensive practice materials won't cost much at all.

Log onto the OPC website, practice materials on there too.

One of my kids has a 'Bop It' toy. Excellent for learning to react quickly to different tones and buzzers. I used it loads until I could beat it everytime.

Download brain training and memory testing apps on your phone. Use them. Cheap (often free) and effective and you can carry them everywhere so when you're sat on the bus, in a waiting room, on the loo, anywhere - more practice.

It is true that some people have what it takes and some don't but practicing something will soon help you find out. You will either improve or you will really struggle. No one buys their first guitar and joins a band the same day. Even the best, most naturally skilled guitar player that ever lived had to put thousands of hours of practice in. You won't need thousands of hours but still, practice and preparation are key to any skill. This is no different. Its the concentration that you will find you either have or you just can't seem to muster.

That's my take on it anyway.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted on how you get on and if you want this badly enough, don't quit. I didn't and it worked. :o)

Anthony R

I used a printable version of the group bourdon test, printed a shed load of copies of different tests (so they weren't all the same) and did a load at least once every day for months. The practice test on here is great but on the actual day you will do it on paper so get used to doing it that way. I also bought a pack of DVD's from eBay which were something like How2Become a Train Driver, Richard McMunn made them I think. They had similar versions of all of the different tests for you to practice. I actually bought these, copied the discs onto my laptop then put them back on eBay the same day and sold them for more than I paid for them so they didn't cost me a penny and were invaluable to me. I bought books of Train Driver questions too and did a lot of on line research into MMi and how to give yourself the best chance you could have of passing.

My advice, any question or test books you buy, write your answers on scrap paper. Don't write in the actual book then you can sell it on when you're done with it. That way all of these expensive practice materials won't cost much at all.

Log onto the OPC website, practice materials on there too.

One of my kids has a 'Bop It' toy. Excellent for learning to react quickly to different tones and buzzers. I used it loads until I could beat it everytime.

Download brain training and memory testing apps on your phone. Use them. Cheap (often free) and effective and you can carry them everywhere so when you're sat on the bus, in a waiting room, on the loo, anywhere - more practice.

It is true that some people have what it takes and some don't but practicing something will soon help you find out. You will either improve or you will really struggle. No one buys their first guitar and joins a band the same day. Even the best, most naturally skilled guitar player that ever lived had to put thousands of hours of practice in. You won't need thousands of hours but still, practice and preparation are key to any skill. This is no different. Its the concentration that you will find you either have or you just can't seem to muster.

That's my take on it anyway.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted on how you get on and if you want this badly enough, don't quit. I didn't and it worked. :o)
Hey hincpapie

Thankyou for your sound advise, it certainly rings true for me, rather than the got or you haven't perspective. I have been practicing like mad, although less than you it seems. Can I ask two questions,
1. what was your averga score on the bourdon before you sat it and
2. did you find any suitable material to practice the Trp1 extensively.

All the other tests I seem to nail with 100% now thanks to the how2become software and the likes, but that Trp1 is my biggest concern for some strange reason, and bizzarely as nobody talks about it so I assume its a big passer. But like you said, walking in with complete confidence is a big aspect to it.

Thanks

Hincappie

Hey hincpapie

Thankyou for your sound advise, it certainly rings true for me, rather than the got or you haven't perspective. I have been practicing like mad, although less than you it seems. Can I ask two questions,
1. what was your averga score on the bourdon before you sat it and
2. did you find any suitable material to practice the Trp1 extensively.

All the other tests I seem to nail with 100% now thanks to the how2become software and the likes, but that Trp1 is my biggest concern for some strange reason, and bizzarely as nobody talks about it so I assume its a big passer. But like you said, walking in with complete confidence is a big aspect to it.

Thanks
Hi mate,

Sorry but I don't remember my GB averages. It was a few years ago when I did mine (2017 I think) and I don't recall what they were.

My best advice for the TRP1 is to use the tool on the OPC website (link here) https://www.theopc.co.uk/assessment/test/trp1/. This is designed to be a direct method of practice for that test.
Following that, you will know what's required and be able to set your own test material. Its very simple - you just read a passage then answer questions on it to test your ability to take in and retain information. Ask a member of your family to set some questions on any topic or section of a book/story, you read it and then try and answer the questions. Its a memory retention test and there are many ways to practice and hone your memory.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Is the TRP part 1 the GLOP test where it talks about low railhead adhesion? It is a while since I passed it again.
Yep, that's the one.

They still use the same GLOP passage too I believe

LCC106

Established Member
Another vote here for practice, practice, practice. I bought a Bop-It, downloaded the Group Bourdon test to do on the computer (the test was done on paper) and bought a physics / mechanical comprehension type book. I passed the old tests, not the new ones that came in when everyone’s failed attempts were wiped out and yes, the Glop English comprehension test was the same one I did 20 years ago when I failed at the first attempt!

Status
Not open for further replies.