• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bedford and LNER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hb06_

Hi everyone. Just wondering if LNER stop at or pass through Bedford without stopping? Getting some mixed results on Google.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi everyone. Just wondering if LNER stop at or pass through Bedford without stopping? Getting some mixed results on Google.

Thanks.
It depends what you are asking for in Google. In a few weekends time there are no services to and from London Kings Cross. LNER services are terminating short (St Neots possibly?) and there is a replacement bus link to Bedford for passengers to continue their journeys to/from London using EMR or Thameslink.
So it might appear that LNER are running via Bedford but it is just alternative arrangements made because of engineering work at Kings Cross.

43095john

Have LNER trains ever diverted via the MML like Hull Trains did recently?
No, mainly due to lack of Capacity and would also involve either a lengthy diversion or missing out all intermediate stations south of Doncaster.

Far more logisitically viable to terminate at St Neots, bus passengers to Bedford for the existing TL/EMR services south.

Also unsure if IETs are cleared for the MML? Im aware last time Hull Trains diverted that way they used 180s and their HST hire in set instead of the few 802s they had in service by then.

Hb06_

It depends what you are asking for in Google. In a few weekends time there are no services to and from London Kings Cross. LNER services are terminating short (St Neots possibly?) and there is a replacement bus link to Bedford for passengers to continue their journeys to/from London using EMR or Thameslink.
So it might appear that LNER are running via Bedford but it is just alternative arrangements made because of engineering work at Kings Cross.

When will that be happening? Would they just pass through Bedford, and not stop?

Also unsure if IETs are cleared for the MML? Im aware last time Hull Trains diverted that way they used 180s and their HST hire in set instead of the few 802s they had in service by then.

I think you are right there, I have never seen GWR IETs on the Chiltern Main Line in Banbury either.

pdeaves

Established Member
When will that be happening? Would they just pass through Bedford, and not stop?
Not at all. What the post meant was that a computer algorithm may give the appearance of LNER serving Bedford but it won't (not with trains, anyway, just buses from its usual line of route).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you are in Bedford get the X5 down to St Neots and you will see many LNER's. Maybe wait till all this CV19 stuff blows over mind!

Hb06_

I think you've misunderstood here. LNER are not passing through Bedford at all.
Not at all. What the post meant was that a computer algorithm may give the appearance of LNER serving Bedford but it won't (not with trains, anyway, just buses from its usual line of route).
Got it, didn't really understand.

If you are in Bedford get the X5 down to St Neots and you will see many LNER's. Maybe wait till all this CV19 stuff blows over mind!
St Neots sounds like a good spot. Yup, I'll wait till some more restrctions are lifted!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I think you are right there, I have never seen GWR IETs on the Chiltern Main Line in Banbury either.
Under normal circumstances there's two GWR IETs to Banbury a day, one in the morning and one in the evening

LMS 4F

Got it, didn't really understand.

St Neots sounds like a good spot. Yup, I'll wait till some more restrctions are lifted!
I would have thought Sandy was closer than St Neots, that where I biked to all those years ago to see A4s and the like.

cactustwirly

Established Member
No, mainly due to lack of Capacity and would also involve either a lengthy diversion or missing out all intermediate stations south of Doncaster.

Far more logisitically viable to terminate at St Neots, bus passengers to Bedford for the existing TL/EMR services south.

Platform lengths at St Pancras would stop them using IETs as they wouldn't be able to share platforms with 222s

brompton rail

LNER,no, but BR did! When ECML was being electrified some East Coast services were diverted from Doncaster to St Pancras. Routed via Rotherham Masborough, the Old Road (Barrow Hill) to Chesterfield, then via the Erewash Valley direct to Trent Junction, and down MML via Leicester. East Coast HSTs were used, with crews from MML. Remember this was BR and MML used HSTs anyway, so no problems. It was intended to operate for several weekends but cancelled after only one weekend. Don’t know why as on the Saturday in question it worked well and on time. Non stop from Doncaster but crew Change stops were made, though I can’t remember where. And, sorry I cannot remember the date!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
LNER,no, but BR did! When ECML was being electrified some East Coast services were diverted from Doncaster to St Pancras. Routed via Rotherham Masborough, the Old Road (Barrow Hill) to Chesterfield, then via the Erewash Valley direct to Trent Junction, and down MML via Leicester. East Coast HSTs were used, with crews from MML. Remember this was BR and MML used HSTs anyway, so no problems. It was intended to operate for several weekends but cancelled after only one weekend. Don’t know why as on the Saturday in question it worked well and on time. Non stop from Doncaster but crew Change stops were made, though I can’t remember where. And, sorry I cannot remember the date!

Pre-privatisation the basic MML long distance service was only about 3 or 4 train s every two hours

Now it's 5 trains an hour all day.

brompton rail

Pre-privatisation the basic MML long distance service was only about 3 or 4 train s every two hours

Now it's 5 trains an hour all day.
Clearly East Coast diversions via MML are not now feasible. Capacity all along the route and St Pancras would make it impossible. Previously there have been a few EC diversions via March and Cambridge to Kings Cross.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Previously there have been a few EC diversions via March and Cambridge to Kings Cross.
They of course still do use that route. I was on one just after Christmas.

The problem here is that St Pancras terminal capacity is constrained and that the works themselves are occurring at Kings Cross so that is also closed (and elsewhere as well but Kings Cross being shut is the biggy). Going via Cambridge doesn't really help you when you've got nowhere to go to terminate in London...

Class 170101

Established Member
The only way you could do it would be to extend the St Pancras to Sheffield services onto Doncaster and the St Pancras to Nottingham services onto Grantham and change at the respective stations.

Clearly if the private companies thought like BR it might be possible to have St Pancras to Edinburgh with a change of crew atr Doncaster but as yet IETs don't serve St Pancras but thats will probably change shortly with Hull Trains if they are back running by August time.

London Trains

They most likely arent currently cleared, but will be when EMRs 804s are delivered. It remains to see if any diversions happen in the future.

Nippy

The 804s (thought they were 810s) are entirely different to the 800/801/802s. So don't assume that because the 24m EMR units are cleared the 26m ones are automatically cleared...

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Clearly if the private companies thought like BR it might be possible to have St Pancras to Edinburgh with a change of crew atr Doncaster
That rather overlooks the availability of drivers with suitable traction or route knowledge. Under BR all drivers, freight and passenger, worked for the same company so it was much less of a problem.

On Moderation
The only way you could do it would be to extend the St Pancras to Sheffield services onto Doncaster and the St Pancras to Nottingham services onto Grantham and change at the respective stations.
Back when Stagecoach ran both franchises they did extend the St. Pancras - Nottingham service to Grantham on weekends when engineering work blocked the King’s Cross route.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Back when Stagecoach ran both franchises they did extend the St. Pancras - Nottingham service to Grantham on weekends when engineering work blocked the King’s Cross route.

Yes I used one of them. It was totally dead. A sample size of one doesn't mean much of course but it wasn't that encouraging! Nice idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.