• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bedford - London ticket: 5 days a week off-peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi,

Bit of a complex one here!

I've started a new job in London Mon-Fri and intend to commute from Bedford every day. My working hours allow me to travel off-peak, and I get a 16-25 railcard discount. :)

My question is - is the cheapest way to do this simply to buy a £17.15 day Travelcard each day (which is the cheapest I have come up with thus far)? On most days I will be making 3 Zone 1 - Zone 1 Tube journeys per day in addition to my travel to/from St Pancras - 1 inside peak hours and 2 outside.

Thanks!

Mike

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The cheapest travelcard season I can see comes to about £90 together with the necessary extensions so no saving here.

However if you get an inboundary travelcard (£5.60) and a separate CDR to Boundary Zone 6 (£11.15) each day then that gives a small saving over the outboundary travelcard, and has no evening restrictions.

benk1342

It does have to be bought from a booking office though.

But if the OP is sure he is going every day in a given week, he can buy a weeks' worth up front all at once, right?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Incidentally, FCC does offer off-peak carnets between Bedford & London Thameslink, but they are £90 for 10 singles so with the railcard buying CDRs is cheaper. I don't think railcard discounts apply to carnets.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for all your help :)

I gave discovered that Bedford - Elstree (which can be bought online) is the same price as Bedford - BZ6, so I will use the suggestion by bb21 I think but with the Elstree ticket (I can still split as one ticket is zonal and one isn't) - give EMT a bit of a test each morning when I travel down :P

RJ

Established Member
London to Bedford is one of the most expensive bits of line I've had the pleasure of using, there are almost no loopholes since some genius decided to list Watford Junction as a routeing point for virtually all stations between STP and BDM!

button_boxer

Established Member
Thanks for all your help :)

I gave discovered that Bedford - Elstree (which can be bought online) is the same price as Bedford - BZ6, so I will use the suggestion by bb21 I think but with the Elstree ticket (I can still split as one ticket is zonal and one isn't) - give EMT a bit of a test each morning when I travel down :P

I think you're mixing up your conditions here - it's both zonal, or one season and one not. In this case a weekly in-boundary travelcard (season) plus daily Bedford to Elstree (non-season) would qualify for use on non-stop EMT services, but with daily travelcards you'd need the BZ6 to make them both zonal.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor

This is incorrect: both tickets must be zonal for the combination to be valid without calling at the changeover point (unless one is a Season).

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is incorrect: both tickets must be zonal for the combination to be valid without calling at the changeover point (unless one is a Season).

Ah - so it is - must drink more coffee before posting first thing in the morning :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.