• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Been accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Brackett

Firstly, short time lurker, first time poster - so hi to all.
I've just been through the process for Conductor with GWR and am pleased to say I got the job. I sat my initial assessment in June and my second assessment (and interview) at the start of the month. I heard a week last Friday that I've got the job and this was followed up with an e-mail confirming the position subject to conditions. The conditions being - a medical, right to work documents and a criminality check.
My question is, how long is this process likely to take? How long, after getting accepted, have applicants generally had to wait for their medical? I understand that the criminality check is an online thing, but have heard nothing from the company that will be doing it.
I can't wait to get started but, I know that it has only been a week, how long will I have to wait?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Firstly, short time lurker, first time poster - so hi to all.
I've just been through the process for Conductor with GWR and am pleased to say I got the job. I sat my initial assessment in June and my second assessment (and interview) at the start of the month. I heard a week last Friday that I've got the job and this was followed up with an e-mail confirming the position subject to conditions. The conditions being - a medical, right to work documents and a criminality check.
My question is, how long is this process likely to take? How long, after getting accepted, have applicants generally had to wait for their medical? I understand that the criminality check is an online thing, but have heard nothing from the company that will be doing it.
I can't wait to get started but, I know that it has only been a week, how long will I have to wait?
Congratulations!
It all depends how quickly they TOC operate. It seems from your post they’ve been quite efficient so far, so hopefully not long. The DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service - Criminality check) they usually say allow about 3-weeks, but realistically it’ll probably be a few days to a week unless they have a lot of stuff to look through on you. If you weren’t born in the U.K. it could take a bit longer depending on the level of disclosure (standard or enhanced - probably standard for any TOC is imagine)

diana

hi, sorry I cannot answer your question. But can I ask you a question please? I ve just passed GWR online tests and been invited for an assessment. What is it like? Are there going to be lots of candidates and group work etc....? You said you had a second assessment so does that mean if I do pass this one there is another one? Good luck to you I hope you start your job soon![/QUOTE]

Mr Brackett

Hi Diana. The first assessment is a bit like an exam. It was held at Swindon and you are given three papers. You will be sent a package which will include examples of the three tests. The one of the tests is the concentration test. The example they give you is based on letters. The actual test is based on shapes (Bourdon test). Have a look online and try and get some examples off the internet that you can practice with. One test is based on question comprehension and understanding. You are given a paragraph based around Railway Legislation/Regulations and then given a number of questions. The answers are multi-choice. You can't really practice this apart from making sure you read the paragraph properly and read the question/answers fully. It would be easy to rush through and mess up just because you didn't read the question or possible answers properly. The last test is a maths test. You will be sent an example to work from. Basically you are looking at checking tickets and charging the right amount and giving the right change. The actual test is quite a bit harder as it also includes certain customers who have differing discounts. Again, read the question and ensure that you know which discounts are valid and which are not, before making your calculations.
All of the tests are timed. I get the impression that accuracy is far more important than speed. You WILL NOT complete the Bourdon test within the time. Don't sweat it. You are unlikely to finish the maths one in time either. I did have enough time to finish the comprehension test and go back over my answers afterwards to make sure I was happy. But not everyone did.
When you pass this test you will be sent a date for the group assessment.
Good luck.

Mr Brackett

It's been over a month now and (apart from a text message from the Guards Manager) I've received nothing from recruitment. No medical date, no link for the DBS check. I shall give it until 6 November (two months) and then chase recruitment up.

Mr Brackett

Woo hoo. Just had a call from recruitment. Start date of 3rd December. Just got to get my medical and DBS check out of the way.

diana

congratulations!
I ve just passed my first assessment in Swindon. How long did you have to wait for the second assessment? And what was it like? What was the group exercise like? Thank you so much for your help. Good luck to you!

Gooner18

Congratulations to you both, Mr Brackett have you still not heard anything?

Mr Brackett

Just did my medical on Thursday 7th. Passed that. Obviously they still need to send off my urine results but I know I don't take drugs and haven't had a drink for ages, so unless they come back and tell me I'm pregnant, I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Got my DBS result back and I've got through that too.
Notice handed in with current employer and I just can't wait to get started. Well excited.

4F89

Just did my medical on Thursday 7th. Passed that. Obviously they still need to send off my urine results but I know I don't take drugs and haven't had a drink for ages, so unless they come back and tell me I'm pregnant, I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Got my DBS result back and I've got through that too.
Notice handed in with current employer and I just can't wait to get started. Well excited.

Thursday wasn't the 7th, just to be pedantic

Unknockable

Congrats, I’ve just began my journey to being where you are. What TOC are you working for and what are you doing?

diana

When I get the chance, I'll PM you.
Hi again,
I hope you ve passed all your medicals etc...
I ve got my second assessment soon. I understand it s a group work? what did you have to do? And did you have your interview straight after this group session or did you have to come for it another day? thank you for all your help. Good luck to You!

Status
Not open for further replies.