• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Been trying to get a job in the rail industry for a year: is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petersmith36

Well it’s my first year anniversary of trying to get a job in the rail industry so far the closest I’ve got is down to a final 3 at interview stage.

I am in for the long game now and prepared to wait for the right opportunity. Ideally I would want to work as a conductor or similar role. I’ve been selling cars for the last 15years and it’s time for a change.
My question is, is it worth all this searching and waiting and heartache when you don’t make the cut? Or can someone suggest a job of any kind that will pay 30k + a year for 40hours or so a week

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taylor-j01

Only you can answer that

is it worth it to you ?
Is that what you want to be ?

I earn much more than a Train Driver atm, working less hours.
Some people would love my position but its not for me, I would become a Train Driver tomorrow and give it up.
It should never be for the money any job

scotraildriver

Established Member
I dropped a considerable amount of money to become a train driver. Worth every penny. Great work life balance, actually see my kids and the best thing of all? When you finish your shift that's it. No phone calls, Emaiils or thinking about work. Your time Is your own. But equally its hard work, huge responsibility and the easiest job in the world to throw away if you make an error. For me the best thing I ever did. But it's not for everyone by any means.

The question you need to ask yourself is how much do you want to work on the railway?

After that, there are other factors. One big one can depend on the TOC you're applying for for how long it can take.

For example, West Midlands Trains have been having a big recruitment push over the past few months (and I think they still are). I'm currently a trainee conductor for them and it took 7 months from application to first day at work. However, I have a friend who got through in just under 2 months. Every one of the 6 people I know personally who have crossed over from my old place of work and who passed the final interview stage was given a start date quite quickly. I don't know of any conductor waiting in a talent pool at the moment.

Alternatively, there's an interesting thread on here where people are discussing the process with Northern. It seems that there is a talent pool there which is extending the waiting, but reading through the posts, people are eventually getting through to a job offer.

So yes, it is a hard slog, but from own experience, it's well worth it. And for me it's not just about the money. When I've started new jobs before, I've always had that feeling of people looking down on me and waiting for me to slip up as the 'newbie'. I've not experienced that on the railway at all. As a trainee, I've had people asking how I'm getting on...telling me that all I have to do is ask if I'm ever unsure. Only yesterday, I had a chat with a driver of 40 years who was interested in what I was doing and gave me a lot of encouragement. I get random railway workers who have clocked that I'm a trainee coming up to me asking "How are you getting on?" A driver last week was talking me through the process of splitting a train and everyone's role in doing it safely. I never asked him to, he just beckoned me over and said, "Might be useful to have a look at this".

If you go in with the right attitude, the people on the railway can't do enough to help and support you.

For me, yes, definitely, it's very much worth it. But only you can answer for yourself.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Peter

Am I in order to ask if you've applied to more than one TOC?

Also have you considered other roles, not just a conductor or driver?

CJ

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
Well it’s my first year anniversary of trying to get a job in the rail industry so far the closest I’ve got is down to a final 3 at interview stage.

I am in for the long game now and prepared to wait for the right opportunity. Ideally I would want to work as a conductor or similar role. I’ve been selling cars for the last 15years and it’s time for a change.
My question is, is it worth all this searching and waiting and heartache when you don’t make the cut? Or can someone suggest a job of any kind that will pay 30k + a year for 40hours or so a week
I’ve worked on the railway for just under two years albeit via an agency covering CSA/platform, Customer Ambassador & Gateline, I’ve applied five times to the TOC over that period for positions I’ve already covered plus OBS & never got so much as an assessment!

You made the interview stage so take heart in that, ‘they’ saw something in you. I have loads of colleagues who like myself don’t get off first base & yes it’s beyond frustrating but if you’ve got through the door for an interview I would keep on applying.

Class385

Keep at it! I left school unsure what to do, managed to get an apprenticeship on the railway earning 12k a year, now 7 years later and various positions I am waiting on a start date for a trainee driver job.
There's a massive amount of staff nearing retirement age so plenty of opportunities should arise.

Red1980

The only way you'll know if it's worth it is by coping with the heartache, having the success and then seeing how you feel.

The alternative is just not coping with the hoops and then deciding to cope with the "what ifs" .

You need to work out what your personality copes with best? Hard work, perserverence and possible success? Or the easy way out, no chance of the job and always wondering what might have been? I know personally I'd rather have the certainty of a rejection than sat there kicking myself for not trying.

My advice to you is to stick with it and see for yourself. It won't be handed to you on a plate but think of the satisfaction you'll have when you've been successful and you've had to work your backside off to get it.

It's not a paradise be any stretch of the imagination and you'll certainly get to know what the definition of sacrifice is. The thing that worries me is the last bit of your post where you're looking for 30k + and other jobs, I implore you not to go into this for the money! Yes we're all in it for the wedge and to cover the bills and not for the sheer enjoyment Ultimately I get that but the novelty factor of a good wage soon wears off after a couple of years of shift work, passenger grief and missed family functions and then what are you left with?

In MY opinion long term yes it's worth it but that's just me. I'd be asking yourself that if you need to ask if it's worth it in the first place is you're motivation in the right place anyway?

I wish you the very best of luck with whatever you decide.

Red.

Petersmith36

Peter

Am I in order to ask if you've applied to more than one TOC?

Also have you considered other roles, not just a conductor or driver?

CJ

I’ve applied TPE XC and Northen.
I’m open to doing pretty much any role but I am restricted to Newcastle station really.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I’ve made my mind up I want a career on the railway so will keep trying and like someone Said I will appreciate it a lot more when I finally do get a job on the railway

CreamNCookies

Newcastle has quite a lot of offerings at times. So just keep your eye on the career pages and check often as roles can get taken down quite fast. And of course you have the old Metro to look at..Although personally I don't want to work on that network.

I check all the career pages every morning (probably shouldn't as im at work when I do check...).

RPOMan

Absolutely worth it. It took me over 3 years from assessment day to beginning training. I was sat in a "pool of talent" for ages! Well worth the wait, the job is as hard as you make it, and the money is very good for a 35 hour week.

Petersmith36

not a paradise be any stretch of the imagination and you'll certainly get to know what the definition of sacrifice is. The thing that worries me is the last bit of your post where you're looking for 30k + and other jobs, I implore you not to go into this for the money! Yes we're all in it for the wedge and to cover the bills and not for the sheer enjoyment Ultimately I get that but the novelty factor of a good wage soon wears off after a couple of years of shift work, passenger grief and missed family functions and then what are you left with?

I’m not driven by money if that was the case I would stay in car sales as I can make a lot more. It’s more of a way of life I am after, I am sick of working 60+hours a week I want to see more of my family and be happy is my ultimate goal. The 30k is what I need to leave the motor trade and would honestly consider pretty much anything

Bucephalus

I am sick of working 60+hours a week I want to see more of my family and be happy is my ultimate goal. The 30k is what I need to leave the motor trade and would honestly consider pretty much anything

That sounds like a lot of pressure you've got yourself under there. I would say (car) sales manager or account manager (in i.t perhaps) might be a good stop gap whilst waiting to be a guard / driver.

Last edited:

Rockhopper

So do you really really want to work on the railways or do you just want a job that pays £30k? If it’s the latter then that’ll come across in the selection process as that’s the kind of thing it’s designed to flag up.

Bucephalus

He did get to the interview stage to be fair, but yes, I guess it would be important to have clear motivation for that final selection.

There is also Tyne and wear metro, LNER, grand Central, and DB Cargo locally. One being Sunderland I admit

ComUtoR

Established Member
In short - Yes
Mid range - Yes
Long term - Not so sure...

I was sick of my job, worked 60-70 hours a week, worked bank holidays, 5 day weeks, late nights, early mornings, total and utter grind for little recognition and bugger all pay. Pretty much, I needed to get out. Changed jobs, same brown stuff, different employer.

Then I joined the railway as a Driver....

What I have found is that my terms and conditions are so locked down tight and actually respected. I work a full week but I don't work the extra for nothing. I am not forced to do overtime and there is no pressure on me to go the extra mile for no reward. My working week pretty much halved and my stress level vanished. Most of all, I don't take work home with me (sorta). Not everywhere has a 4 day week and its taken most of my career to get here but a 4 day week is amazing. It's hard, but there are many advantages. Short term I was glad to get out and only saw the advantages. Including the huge bump in the pocket.

Then it all changed. The work is relentless at times and I have found that whilst I worked a 70hr week. A lot was downtime. Sitting about in the office, chatting in the staff room, breaks when I want, go for a pee when I want. The 'Railway' is very different. I might only have a 9hr shift but I'm working for pretty much all of that. Those T&Cs are great but they state I only get a 30min PNB and many diagrams literally have just that. Productivity is very high. You often come home completely drained, physically and mentally. I also found out quite early that you are only as good as your last trip. It's an industry with a shockingly high turnover of staff. As a Driver they kinda expect perfection 100% of the time. There is no tippex or delete button. Rules and regs are seriously tight and you are expected to be fully competent at all times. I've seen many people come and go. Job loss due to incident can be very detrimental. Shift work is a real killer. Granted there is a rough and smooth side but you need to face that reality. Not everyone can cope. I think a lot of people; especially on this forum; tend to romanticize 'The Railway' Sometimes the reality can be quite harsh.

15+yrs later...

I'm still here and still don't hate it. I've never really disliked what I do and never regretted it at all. I look back sometimes and see what I was doing and I could never go back. Sod commuting, sod the 9-5 and I don't get out of bed for less than £50k :) Financially I've never been better. Socially its been hard but worth it. 4 day weeks give you quite a few long weekends and my friends have learned that I might miss the odd occasion but I make it up where I can. Same with kids and family. Lose a few, gain a few (as Fletch would say). Again; it's hard getting here but I've learned to accept it. The Railway has changed a lot over the years and it I see it quite differently. It really is 'just a job' You are nothing more than a number on a piece of paper. Turnover is still high and money isn't everything. I'm finding it harder to keep up and get the impression this job is killing me slowly. Like many others; I come in, grab my diagram, work, go home. The newer Drivers are very much here for the cash. That also contributes to the changes and the growing attitude that this is just another job. A means to an end. The old 'Railway Family' is dying out and almost dead. It is still better than what else is out there and I am grateful every day. The benefits have outweighed the negatives and I still have no regrets. I wouldn't specifically recommend it as I did before but it's a great place to work and pays the bills and a bit more.

Do your research. Remember there is as much negative as there is positive. Be realistic with your goals and be honest with yourself about what you want in life and what direction you wish to go in. Money is good. Enjoying what you do is much more important.

I wish you luck.

Petersmith36

Like I say money is not a driving factor For me but and I would would be more than happy to earn less than 30k for the right job. I want to work in an industry where I have a long career and a pension, a job that keeps me dealing with the public and being able to help people and not stuck in a office

ComUtoR

Established Member
The railway will provide all of that. Without a doubt.

If you're prepared to take all the rough with the smooth, then go for it.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I have had numerous set backs myself. One of the observations I have made is that most if not all TOC jobs get inundated with applications.

The key is to take each knock back for what it is. First of all it isn't personal - you've not been knocked back for any human error or deficiency, HR people do not know you from Adam. It does feel like a lottery getting on in the railway industry because I've seen plenty of posts on here from seemingly decent people who are in the same boat as you. I myself suffered various rejections last year and I eventually learned to absorb it and quickly moved on.

Like another forum member has stated - double check you CV and Cover Letters each time and keep plugging away.

CJ

9tfrizzco

In short - Yes
Mid range - Yes
Long term - Not so sure...

I was sick of my job, worked 60-70 hours a week, worked bank holidays, 5 day weeks, late nights, early mornings, total and utter grind for little recognition and bugger all pay. Pretty much, I needed to get out. Changed jobs, same brown stuff, different employer.

Then I joined the railway as a Driver....

What I have found is that my terms and conditions are so locked down tight and actually respected. I work a full week but I don't work the extra for nothing. I am not forced to do overtime and there is no pressure on me to go the extra mile for no reward. My working week pretty much halved and my stress level vanished. Most of all, I don't take work home with me (sorta). Not everywhere has a 4 day week and its taken most of my career to get here but a 4 day week is amazing. It's hard, but there are many advantages. Short term I was glad to get out and only saw the advantages. Including the huge bump in the pocket.

Then it all changed. The work is relentless at times and I have found that whilst I worked a 70hr week. A lot was downtime. Sitting about in the office, chatting in the staff room, breaks when I want, go for a pee when I want. The 'Railway' is very different. I might only have a 9hr shift but I'm working for pretty much all of that. Those T&Cs are great but they state I only get a 30min PNB and many diagrams literally have just that. Productivity is very high. You often come home completely drained, physically and mentally. I also found out quite early that you are only as good as your last trip. It's an industry with a shockingly high turnover of staff. As a Driver they kinda expect perfection 100% of the time. There is no tippex or delete button. Rules and regs are seriously tight and you are expected to be fully competent at all times. I've seen many people come and go. Job loss due to incident can be very detrimental. Shift work is a real killer. Granted there is a rough and smooth side but you need to face that reality. Not everyone can cope. I think a lot of people; especially on this forum; tend to romanticize 'The Railway' Sometimes the reality can be quite harsh.

15+yrs later...

I'm still here and still don't hate it. I've never really disliked what I do and never regretted it at all. I look back sometimes and see what I was doing and I could never go back. Sod commuting, sod the 9-5 and I don't get out of bed for less than £50k :) Financially I've never been better. Socially its been hard but worth it. 4 day weeks give you quite a few long weekends and my friends have learned that I might miss the odd occasion but I make it up where I can. Same with kids and family. Lose a few, gain a few (as Fletch would say). Again; it's hard getting here but I've learned to accept it. The Railway has changed a lot over the years and it I see it quite differently. It really is 'just a job' You are nothing more than a number on a piece of paper. Turnover is still high and money isn't everything. I'm finding it harder to keep up and get the impression this job is killing me slowly. Like many others; I come in, grab my diagram, work, go home. The newer Drivers are very much here for the cash. That also contributes to the changes and the growing attitude that this is just another job. A means to an end. The old 'Railway Family' is dying out and almost dead. It is still better than what else is out there and I am grateful every day. The benefits have outweighed the negatives and I still have no regrets. I wouldn't specifically recommend it as I did before but it's a great place to work and pays the bills and a bit more.

Do your research. Remember there is as much negative as there is positive. Be realistic with your goals and be honest with yourself about what you want in life and what direction you wish to go in. Money is good. Enjoying what you do is much more important.

I wish you luck.
Very good post this I reckon. A good summation. My dad has been a driver for thirty years and overall he would talk along these same lines I reckon. A frontline railway job is worth it, despite the negatives. Life is about compromise.

Red1980

I’m not driven by money if that was the case I would stay in car sales as I can make a lot more. It’s more of a way of life I am after, I am sick of working 60+hours a week I want to see more of my family and be happy is my ultimate goal. The 30k is what I need to leave the motor trade and would honestly consider pretty much anything

Ok.

Well in safety critical roles you're really unlikely to hit anywhere close to 60+ hours but be aware as I say that in certain grades even though they're on 34 hour weeks for example they still have difficulty seeing much of their families due to the nature of the shifts they're working.

Some of our guys can easily go a week without seeing their kids due to getting up before they're awake and being in bed ready for a stupidly early shift the following morning etc.

Lots of pros to the industry most definitely but as I said earlier there's lots of sacrifices too that you'll need to be aware of.....it's not the easiest industry to work in but far from the worst.

theironroad

Established Member
I earn much more than a Train Driver atm, working less hours.
Some people would love my position but its not for me, I would become a Train Driver tomorrow and give it up.
It should never be for the money any job

I dropped a considerable amount of money to become a train driver. Worth every penny. Great work life balance, actually see my kids and the best thing of all? When you finish your shift that's it. No phone calls, Emaiils or thinking about work. Your time Is your own. But equally its hard work, huge responsibility and the easiest job in the world to throw away if you make an error. For me the best thing I ever did. But it's not for everyone by any means.

Out of curiousity, what jobs do/did you do?

Grannyjoans

One thing for sure, this job can be a right slog at times. In the TOC I'm in (Arriva Rail North) I am about to start 7 shifts in a row, starting from today Friday 21st ending Thursday 27th and this will be mostly involving driving commuter trains and 9 hour shifts.
None of this is voluntary overtime either.
Sundays are forced overtime.
1 week in every 4 there is a Sunday which then means I have to work a 45 hour week.
When the shifts run from one week into the next it causes 7 shifts in a row (63 hours!)
I'm sure most other TOC's don't have this awful pattern though.
The nature of the shifts make it difficult to do anything else on work days other than work.

Last edited:

Rockhopper

Its the reality of working on the railway thats made me hang back from applying for any more jobs. My current job is in design services for a local council. The pay is rubbish (but enough), we work flexi time so i start at 7.30am and finish at 3.30pm five days a week. Any extra time I want to put in builds up and i can take up to two extra flexi leave days a month. I get 29 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays and my 24 flexi days if i want them. I can also work from home anytime I want (like I'm doing today). Oh and the office is only six miles from home.
I'm not sure I'd want to give that up even for quite a bit more money.

Llama

Established Member
One thing for sure, this job can be a right slog at times. In the TOC I'm in (Arriva Rail North) I am about to start 7 shifts in a row, starting from today Friday 21st ending Thursday 27th and this will be mostly involving driving commuter trains and 9 hour shifts.
None of this is voluntary overtime either.
Sundays are forced overtime.
1 week in every 4 there is a Sunday which then means I have to work a 45 hour week.
When the shifts run from one week into the next it causes 7 shifts in a row (63 hours!)
I'm sure most other TOC's don't have this awful pattern though.
The nature of the shifts make it difficult to do anything else on work days other than work.
To balance that, I'm starting a similar run of shifts, although probably longer as I'm working a few rest days and a couple of Sundays - one enforced overtime, one not. Probably ten days in a row, so 80-90 hours. Bring it on, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in, I'll probably be knackered by the end of it though.

Stigy

Established Member
I’m inclined to echo what others have said here. I’m still a trainee driver but from what I’ve seen so far, it’s a great job to get and do, but at the same time very restrictive. I’m my previous job (still on the railway), I worked a 4 day week (37hours, 9h15m shifts every time). Although the shifts were long in comparison to a lot of driver shifts, I worked a 4 week roster and knew exactly where I was in terms of shift patterns etc. The money was good (£35k ish) and I could basically do what I wanted as I was in charge. Train driving in comparison and compared to a lot of other jobs on the railway is very structured. There’s often decent rest periods and PNBs, but you can’t ‘be late’ or be flexible with it. I guess that’s one reason why the railway is so keen on non-technical skills in their drivers.

Do I miss it? Yes, a bit.

Would I chuck this in and go back? 100% not.

Im under no illusion that driving is a walk in the park, and the training itself takes its toll certainly. There’s been times I’ve wondered if it’s worth it, or indeed if I’m cut out for it. That’s natural. It’s a lot of work, but I was prepared for that. Roll on passout :).

Status
Not open for further replies.