• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Beggars on LU Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
My imagination or more than before?

What I don't understand is, if they have no money how are they able to ride the tube in the first place?! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member

What I don't understand is, if they have no money how are they able to ride the tube in the first place?! :lol:

Unsurprisingly it costs less* to enter the tube network than it does to put a roof over your head.

*Or nothing if you start from a LU/LO station where the barriers are left open later in the day.

skyhigh

Established Member
You'd be surprised, those that ride around busking can make a packet - I've come across some making up to £500 a day. (I don't mean those who've been given permission by TfL to play on stations either!)

fowler9

Established Member
Unsurprisingly it costs less* to enter the tube network than it does to put a roof over your head.

*Or nothing if you start from a LU/LO station where the barriers are left open later in the day.
Have a chat with them and decide if you would like to trade places.

Robin Edwards

there's plenty in the right-wing popular media will tell you that begging is a lucrative career decision yet I doubt you will see those that write such things trading places to make more money!

fowler9

Established Member
Absolutely not, I wasn't trying to imply that they have an easy life.
Apologies mate. I wouldn't think you would want to swap for a second. I was just making a comment from the angle Robin Edwards there was making. Some in the press make out it is a cushy living.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, you are probably correct. There are also a few nasty gangs of buskers as well, operating at Off peak hours. There have been a good few operations with plain clothes Revenue Control Inspectors snd BTP regarding the buskers
Probably by doubling in, or forcing the barriers open.

Tube driver

It's all in hand.

I have a new auto announcement telling people not to encourage beggars.

That'll sort it.

Far north 37

Established Member
Theres a musical band that are always on london overground services on the north london line see them quite regular.

westv

Established Member
Theres a musical band that are always on london overground services on the north london line see them quite regular.

There's a band I've seen on the Northern line three times and three times they have played the same tune (badly!)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There's a band I've seen on the Northern line three times and three times they have played the same tune (badly!)
They are on the Vic, Picc and sub surface too.

Hit the road jack....

Rogmi

Many beggars on the tube and elsewhere are professionals, earning lots of tax-free money and going home to a nice warm bed in the suburbs afterwards. Either working for themselves or as a group. There are, of course, many 'genuine' beggars around who do need help, but it is not always easy to distinguish the real from the fake. I stopped giving to beggars years ago because I wasn't going to get conned. I would help someone if I knew they were genuine, but I'd rather give any money to a suitable homeless charity.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Unlimited use travelcards make it easier to enter and exit the network multiple times. The tickets can also be backpassed to other beggars creating an effective shift system

Status
Not open for further replies.