• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Behaviour of anti-HS2 protestors at Ashville Aggregates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Note to the moderators - If you believe that this thread belongs in another sub-forum, then please feel free to move this thread.

Today I was watching this week’s episode of ‘Ashville weekly’ in which an anti-HS2 protest group decided to protest against the business that supplies aggregates to HS2.

Skip to 5:57 to see the action begin

I felt like posting this as I was shocked at what I saw, especially how vile some of the comments made by the protesters were. Fortunately the business seemed to manage the situation well and didn’t let the protesters into the yard.

Is this some of the worst behaviour there has been or is this just the most well documented? Feel free to discuss.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lucan

Established Member
Funny we don't see much of this sort of thing against road building. In the last few decades large parts of the UK trunk road system, and even lesser roads, has been "motorway-ised" by stealth.

Geezertronic

Established Member
It seems to be an unfortunate sign of the times where people think they can do what they like without recriminations. Last year was an unfortunate example where peaceful protesting was seen to be taken over by a self-indulgent minority who think they can go around saying what they like and causing criminal damage - seems to be a warped case of "Do as I say, not as I do"

ABB125

Established Member
It's funny how the protestor with the megaphone brought up supplying prisons and patriarchal society. Perhaps revealing a hidden agenda?

SargeNpton

Established Member
Funny we don't see much of this sort of thing against road building. In the last few decades large parts of the UK trunk road system, and even lesser roads, has been "motorway-ised" by stealth.
The last road protest I can think of that gained national publicity was the Newbury by-pass. There have probably been loads since then, but only getting attention from the local press.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The last road protest I can think of that gained national publicity was the Newbury by-pass. There have probably been loads since then, but only getting attention from the local press.
I don’t think they ever targeted the sub-contractor‘s depots in those days. I can imagine the welcome they’d have got from typical lorry drivers, back when very few people had decent pocket sized video camera...

stj

Same old mob who have nothing else to do and will have very little knowledge of what they are protesting about.You cant win with them.Just there for the confrontation.

alex397

Established Member
These protesters in the video certainly give green activism a bad name.
Movements such as this will always attract a minority of trouble makers.

A difficult topic as I support the UK right to *peaceful* protest, and am against the governments draconian proposals to crack down on it. But the behaviour shown in this video is, quite rightly, already breaking the law, such as blocking a public highway without permission.

The company in the video acted really professionally and calmly, but you can’t have a sensible debate with those kind of activists.

DerekC

Established Member
The M3 at Twyford Down (Winchester Bypass replacement) generated a lot of protests in our area, but they did actually have a point and were supported by a lot of locals who wanted a tunnel. I recall an excavator being hijacked, but not attacks on suppliers.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Note to the moderators - If you believe that this thread belongs in another sub-forum, then please feel free to move this thread.

Today I was watching this week’s episode of ‘Ashville weekly’ in which an anti-HS2 protest group decided to protest against the business that supplies aggregates to HS2.

Skip to 5:57 to see the action begin

I felt like posting this as I was shocked at what I saw, especially how vile some of the comments made by the protesters were. Fortunately the business seemed to manage the situation well and didn’t let the protesters into the yard.

Is this some of the worst behaviour there has been or is this just the most well documented? Feel free to discuss.
That was quite the bad episode, especially the "the black fella" comments aimed at Daniel on top of the general behavior of these "protestors" who according to Daniel, have caused issues for other companies, including those on the same business park as Ashville.

ABB125

Established Member
The M3 at Twyford Down (Winchester Bypass replacement) generated a lot of protests in our area, but they did actually have a point and were supported by a lot of locals who wanted a tunnel. I recall an excavator being hijacked, but not attacks on suppliers.
The irony being that a tunnel would probably have been cheaper, once the protest costs had been taken into account.

Gostav

Looks such like the protests in Eastern Europe countries, who protested over and over again but do nothing. Well, if most British public declined their living standard to such as Albania, Bulgaria, Ukraine or even Slovenská which must be helpful to save the Earth.
Today Britain almost lost all of heavy industrial and if these environmental conservation organisation really want which means Britain will no manufacturing, research institutions, bank industry, overseas education in the not far future. That means the high social security and high standard of living also will disappeared which would be very helpful to save our environment and maybe even more batter than Balkans.

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I feel this scheme was not particularly well designed to deal with the reality of modern environmental and other protest movements in the UK.

Relatively small amounts of money saved in the design of the scheme has dramatically increased opposition and delayed it endlessly through legal petitions etc etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.