• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Being prevented to purchase tickets on board train

Status
Not open for further replies.

01jtiong

On a scotrail train I was trying to buy a ticket from Hyland to queen street however when I tried to buy the ticket the ticket inspector told me I cant as I couldnt buy a return from hyndland to queen street as we are about to arrive at said station

is there a rule where u cant buy tickets when u are about to arrive the startign place of departure or do staff think u are trying to get a cheaper fare

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As a general rule, you must buy tickets before boarding where facilities exist (as they do at Hyndland). Actual policy varies by company though; some are very strict, whilst others will sell the full range of tickets. Some - Northern for instance - for years allowed passengers to pay on board but have recently started threatening prosecution to passengers trying to buy on board or at their destination.

In your case it's most likely that the guard didn't have time to sell tickets - they may have cashed up already, or be too busy with other duties to sell a ticket in the short time before your destination. Another reason would be that if they believe you are trying to avoid the full fare (by buying from closer than you travelled from for instance), then by not selling a ticket they are bringing the matter to the attention of revenue officers at the station.

Last edited:

ScottishIain

As a general rule, you must buy tickets before boarding where facilities exist (as they do at Hyndland). Actual policy varies by company though; some are very strict, whilst others will sell the full range of tickets. Some - Northern for instance - for years allowed passengers to pay on board but have recently started threatening prosecution to passengers trying to buy on board or at their destination.

In your case it's most likely that the guard didn't have time to sell tickets - they may have cashed up already, or be too busy with other duties to sell a ticket in the short time before your destination. Another reason would be that if they believe you are trying to avoid the full fare (by buying from closer than you travelled from for instance), then by not selling a ticket they are bringing the matter to the attention of revenue officers at the station.

Just want to point out that there are no guards on these services, just ticket examiners.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

01jtiong

that may be the case terrible the train fare for example off peak (minus YP card) from scotstoun to queen street return - £3 however jordanhill return £2.30 and from hyland £2.10 and so on hence why i go to hyland to buy my return ticket tried to avoid the train guard at all possible until i get to hyland
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just want to point out that there are no guards on these services, just ticket examiners.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

thats what i meant just cant rememebr their name title

Squaddie

that may be the case terrible the train fare for example off peak (minus YP card) from scotstoun to queen street return - £3 however jordanhill return £2.30 and from hyland £2.10 and so on hence why i go to hyland to buy my return ticket tried to avoid the train guard at all possible until i get to hyland
I'm not really following this.

Are you saying that you travel from Scotstoun to Hyndland without a ticket, and then attempt to buy a ticket from Hyndland to Queen Street on the train?

01jtiong

I'm not really following this.

Are you saying that you travel from Scotstoun to Hyndland without a ticket, and then attempt to buy a ticket from Hyndland to Queen Street on the train?

no i want to travel to queen street from scotsoun but becuase its too expensive i get a return from hyland instead cheaper

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
no i want to travel to queen street from scotsoun but becuase its too expensive i get a return from hyland instead cheaper

If you're boarding at Scotstounhill and buying a ticket from Hyndland then that's fraud, and the sort of thing other train companies regularly set out to catch people at (which would be easy in this case).

Murph

It's clearly a case of using NedRail Byelaw 666:

(a) If you and 12 of your pals decide over a bottle of Buckfast and a spliff that the fare is too expensive, hide in the bog until you are almost at Queen St or Central, then try to blag a ticket from somewhere closer.

(b) If the staff refuse to assist in your entirely justified attempt to commit fraud, complain about it on the Internet.

(c) Passengers invoking this NedRail Byelaw should be prepared to vault the barriers and leg it from the Polis.

;)

island

Veteran Member
So basically you're saying that you deliberately tried to avoid paying your proper fare and the ticket examiner didn't help you commit the crime, you're going to complain here for 90p?

I was going to say you should feel lucky you weren't reported for prosecution, but then I remembered First ScotRail basically can't bring prosecutions.

What ended up happening?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Can you tell us a bit more about your regular journey habits? What times, what days etc? Where do you get on / off?

Perhaps we could then pass on this intelligent to the British Transport Police... what you are doing is fraudulent and thus illegal. I don't really see why we should be helping you, to give my honest opinion, sorry if you disagree with this.

TP

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:roll: So the OP is admitting that they are trying to avoid being inspected on the train between Scotstounhill and Hyndland, and then if challenged after that point are claiming that they have boarded the train into Glasgow at Hyndland?

Unbelievable!

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It took me until the 4th post to realise what you are complaining about. Your opening post is not very clear.

I have no sympathy for the guard not helping you defraud the railways. Once of the reasons that the fares are expensive is to make up for all the money lost to fare-dodgers. If you can't afford the fare, then I suggest a nice 40 minute walk to Hyndland where you can board and pay the appropriate fare

rdwarr

Can you tell us a bit more about your regular journey habits? What times, what days etc? Where do you get on / off?

Perhaps we could then pass on this intelligent to the British Transport Police... what you are doing is fraudulent and thus illegal. I don't really see why we should be helping you, to give my honest opinion, sorry if you disagree with this.

TP

Cunning plan :oops:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What usually now happens in situations* such as this, is that either the OP comes back with a totally different story to defend themselves after telling the truth.. or the OP just never replies to us. Lets see what happens. ;)

*Through my observations, may not be entirely accurate.

TP

CC 72100

Established Member
:roll: So the OP is admitting that they are trying to avoid being inspected on the train between Scotstounhill and Hyndland, and then if challenged after that point are claiming that they have boarded the train into Glasgow at Hyndland?

Unbelievable!

Yes, I believe you have interpreted that correctly. "How dare the railway staff not be compliant in my fare evasion!"

Surely this OP can't be for real and won't return?

Tomnick

Established Member
My interpretation of the original post suggests that the chappy's tried to buy a return ticket from Hyndland before the train's even arrived there (not Queen St). Even sillier if that's correct :lol: .

causton

Established Member
To the OP: I know of a way to seriously reduce your travelling costs! Just tell me what trains you catch and I'll let you know of a little secret that can make it a LOT cheaper for you!

*may or may not include telling ScotRail and other interested parties

Darandio

Established Member
My interpretation of the original post suggests that the chappy's tried to buy a return ticket from Hyndland before the train's even arrived there (not Queen St). Even sillier if that's correct :lol: .

I didn't at first, but after then reading the replies and looking again, this does seem to be the case. :shock:

Even more cause for me thinking that the thread isn't even for real. If it is, this one goes down in forum history.

is there a rule where u cant buy tickets when u are about to arrive the startign place of departure or do staff think u are trying to get a cheaper fare

You have got to be kidding me...

What makes you think that you can buy a ticket from a place before you get there? If I've come from Leicester and I'm going to Sheffield, I'm not going to be able to buy a ticket from Derby to Sheffield at a place before Derby like Long Eaton am I unless I had a valid ticket between Leicester and Derby and have for some reason decided I would like to continue on to Sheffield.

Apart from maybe my hypothetical reason as stated above, staff have every right to think you are trying to get a cheaper fare. There's no way to prove that you weren't if you don't have a valid ticket to where you are trying to buy your ticket.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not sure whether you are on a wind-up or cannot understand the simple concept of paying the correct fare when you travel - not what you consider reasonable, not what you find inexpensive, but the correct fare that everyone else pays.

Fares in the Strathclyde area are incredibly cheap compared to the rest of the country, being heavily subsidised.

You have no cause for complaint and this ridiculous thread will not be going any further. My advice? Pay your fare or you might have a nasty surprise waiting not far in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.