• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Belfort to Paris 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

I've been watching some great drivers eye view videos from France during the
lockdown. There's a few showing loco haulage from Belfort to Paris via Troyes in 2017 eg:
Does anyone know what stock is currently used for the long distance services on this route? Are there any loco hauled services left?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
lockdown. There's a few showing loco haulage from Belfort to Paris via Troyes in 2017 eg:
Does anyone know what stock is currently used for the long distance services on this route? Are there any loco hauled services left?

It's Coradia bi-mode "InterCity" MUs. These replaced the CC72100 and voitures Corail in 2019. The last peak workings to Troyes were in August and a stand-by set was kept until about then as insurance while the Coradias bedded-in.

Sadly these veritable beasts are no longer used on any passenger workings now.

peteb

Thanks for that. Its a shame I've missed the chance to travel on the loco hauled services. I'll have to content myself with the bi-mode units when I do the trip later this year (hopefully). At least the scenery is still there!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I did that line around 2016, we stayed the night in Troyes which is a gorgeous hidden gem of a city. Amusingly we joined the same locomotive and set of coaches, and chose the same compartment, to continue on towards Paris the next day.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Any idea what routes still have regular loco-hauled services? I know there are still a few BB22200s earning their keep between Lille and Amiens.

Peter Kelford

These replaced the CC72100 and voitures Corail in 2019
@peteb
Note: The loco in the image is not a CC72100. The similarly numbered BB7200s look like the loco in the thumbnail but they are 1.5 kV only. So the likely version is the classmate of the BB7200, the BB22000 bi-current version.

rf_ioliver

Did that route back in 1999, Paris-Mulhouse. IIRC, took about 4-4 1/2 hours, stopped in Belfort, Vesoul and Mulhouse; I remember it continuing on to Basel ?(don't quote me on the that). For some reason I always remember it as being electrified all the way. Anyway, just remember being impressed by the seemingly constant high speed running and the seemingly lack of any other trains passing us in the opposite direction.

Did the return via Strasbourg and Metz (I assume Metz-Sablon)

t.

Ian

hexagon789

Veteran Member
@peteb
Note: The loco in the image is not a CC72100. The similarly numbered BB7200s look like the loco in the thumbnail but they are 1.5 kV only. So the likely version is the classmate of the BB7200, the BB22000 bi-current version.

Looks like a 72100 to me, the line to Belfort is not fully electrified.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Any idea what routes still have regular loco-hauled services? I know there are still a few BB22200s earning their keep between Lille and Amiens.

Yes to that, there are 3 BB22200s diagrammed to those, some other TER are still loco+Corail (some 200km/h ones in and around Strasbourg). Not sure if the BB67400 are still in operation.

Not sure about other Intercités

peteb

Looks like a 72100 to me, the line to Belfort is not fully electrified.
The video shows this diesel loco running through thick snow, not a snow plough in sight, (or electric wires) once its left Belfort. Take a look. Its impressive as is the growl from the loco on inclines, and the old style telegraph poles lining the route. The video continues in separate parts all the way to Paris.

peteb

Plenty of electric loco haulage between Paris, Dijon, Lyon, Avignon and Marseille using coral stock but these trains branded TER and lack buffet etc. Also electric loco haulage between Bordeaux, Toulouse, Nimes and Marseille; Paris to Clermont Ferrand; Paris to Limoges, Cahors and Toulouse; all Intercities; Lyon to Geneve and some to Grenoble, TER.

Not sure about diesel routes and info on these welcomed.

peteb

A little off topic but you'll see in the op video that the snow is deep and completely covers the rails (at around 9 minutes)
Clearly not an issue for the massively heavy co co diesel loco, but would a Coradia unit be capable of the same?

Richard Scott

Established Member
Only diesels now are peak hours around Strasbourg and, occasionally, peak hours Paris Est to La Ferte Milon (this is hit and miss so is just pot luck). Plenty of loco haulage around Paris out of most Termini. If want further info just ask. Strasbourg also has last few remaining 25500 diagrams. Good place to go but even if travel restrictions lifted not until September as the peak hour loco hauls don't run during the school summer break.

peteb

Thanks for that Richard, it's looking more like end of October for my next trip, assuming that by then travelling is easier.
Only diesels now are peak hours around Strasbourg and, occasionally, peak hours Paris Est to La Ferte Milon (this is hit and miss so is just pot luck). Plenty of loco haulage around Paris out of most Termini. If want further info just ask. Strasbourg also has last few remaining 25500 diagrams. Good place to go but even if travel restrictions lifted not until September as the peak hour loco hauls don't run during the school summer break.

route101

Established Member
Yes to that, there are 3 BB22200s diagrammed to those, some other TER are still loco+Corail (some 200km/h ones in and around Strasbourg). Not sure if the BB67400 are still in operation.

Not sure about other Intercités

Was thinking of going to France and catching a few loco hauled services.

TRAX

Established Member
@peteb
It is a CC 72100 in the picture, it’s written on it.

route101

Established Member
Plenty of electric loco haulage between Paris, Dijon, Lyon, Avignon and Marseille using coral stock but these trains branded TER and lack buffet etc. Also electric loco haulage between Bordeaux, Toulouse, Nimes and Marseille; Paris to Clermont Ferrand; Paris to Limoges, Cahors and Toulouse; all Intercities; Lyon to Geneve and some to Grenoble, TER.

Not sure about diesel routes and info on these welcomed.

Interesting , i thought it had all but gone.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The video shows this diesel loco running through thick snow, not a snow plough in sight, (or electric wires) once its left Belfort. Take a look. Its impressive as is the growl from the loco on inclines, and the old style telegraph poles lining the route. The video continues in separate parts all the way to Paris.

I watched similar where the cab view showed speed staying rigidly on the 160 mark once the driver accelerated the train. Other than reducing power to hold 160, I don't think the driver made any further adjustments until slowing for a PSR, I was quite impressed!

Must try and find it again because you could see much of the drivers actions in controlling the trains speed etc which made it a bit more interesting than your average DEV

TRAX

Established Member
So I was right, and actually I was going off the lack of pantograph, I'd totally overlooked the loco number on the front!
Also the forehead/roof of the diesels is rounded while it’s flat on the electrics.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Did see some locos on Amiens services in Paris Gare De Nord few years back! Seeing is not as good as riding
Missed out, were incredible machines. Lucky enough to bag two original 72000s around Lyon in 2009 just before they finished on Tours services. Still three about on stock moves, occasionally seen them around Nogent or near Paris. Got to be lucky.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Also the forehead/roof of the diesels is rounded while it’s flat on the electrics.

Never noticed that before, but makes sense given the need to mount the pantograph etc on the roof of the 'leccies

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Did see some locos on Amiens services in Paris Gare De Nord few years back! Seeing is not as good as riding

When they were last running I think they were 67400s iirc, the last bastion of the 72100s being Est-Troyes-Belfort and the Reims-Dijon cross-country

Richard Scott

Established Member
Thanks for that Richard, it's looking more like end of October for my next trip, assuming that by then travelling is easier.
No problem. Would recommend Strasbourg as a lovely city, hotels are reasonably priced and, if you feel inclined, Germany and Switzerland are within easy reach. In addition, sure someone noted the Strasbourg - Basel trains (one of few regular clockface TER services in France) are 26000 hauled and a few 22200 turns also around, mostly on the irregular Paris TER trains although one seems to appear on the local 25500 turns. If you decide to go and want further info please ask.

rf_ioliver

No problem. Would recommend Strasbourg as a lovely city, hotels are reasonably priced and, if you feel inclined, Germany and Switzerland are within easy reach. In addition, sure someone noted the Strasbourg - Basel trains (one of few regular clockface TER services in France) are 26000 hauled and a few 22200 turns also around, mostly on the irregular Paris TER trains although one seems to appear on the local 25500 turns. If you decide to go and want further info please ask.

Agree. Lovely city. Trams, a couple of lines into the hills of Alsace, Germany and Switerland in easy reach, good food and wine. Also Paris on LGV Est if that takes your fancy too

Status
Not open for further replies.