• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bell upon departing station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

On my Northern train home this evening I was sat at the very back of the train. Upon departing each station stop a bell rang twice. I have never heard this on any train I've been on before. Is this a new thing?

I wasn't sure if it was the conductor who kept coming in and out of the drivers cabin at the rear of the train to open the doors then returned to the cabin.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The double bell is done by the conductor to tell the driver it is ready to depart. The driver then returns the double bell to acknowledge.

trainmania100

Established Member
Full list of buzzer codes

1 = Stop
1-2 = Close Doors
2 = Ready to depart (Right away)
2-2 = Do not open doors
3 = Set back
3-1 = Lock central door locking
3-2 = Guard giving permission for driver to unlock doors
3-2-1 = Testing doors
3-3 = Guard to contact driver (or vice-versa)
3-3-1 = Release central door locking
4 = Slow down
4-4 = Cab to cab contact for HST's
6 = Draw forward
9 = Police required

daveshah

Chances are you haven't noticed it because on many trains it's more of a beep, sometimes fairly quiet, than a bell.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
You can hear them on voyager type units (as a beep) and on 170, 185s (a ping), MK3, mk4 (a warbling high pitched buzz), 165, 158, 156, 142 (a deep buzz) where guard is despatching from within the train as opposed to from the cab/DVT/TGS. You can also hear them (as a bell) on 442 and 455. They were common on MK1 slam door stock but as many SE based rolling stock is now DOO they don't tend to be heard on Electrostars.
Despite the different sounds heard across the fleet they are known colloquially as bell buzzer codes.

Ken H

On Moderation
Full list of buzzer codes

1 = Stop
1-2 = Close Doors
2 = Ready to depart (Right away)
2-2 = Do not open doors
3 = Set back
3-1 = Lock central door locking
3-2 = Guard giving permission for driver to unlock doors
3-2-1 = Testing doors
3-3 = Guard to contact driver (or vice-versa)
3-3-1 = Release central door locking
4 = Slow down
4-4 = Cab to cab contact for HST's
6 = Draw forward
9 = Police required

Is there still a black sticker in cabs with these codes? Used to be in modernisation plan DMU's.

daveshah

I've seen blue stickers with the list of codes on the inside of the guard panel cover before.

adamello

it still puzzles me that the one that could be most urgent, requires the longest bell count

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Then again "stop" is only one...

However with buzzers the "one" would probably be extended by holding down the button until the guard felt the brakes going on.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
it still puzzles me that the one that could be most urgent, requires the longest bell count

I think the *most* urgent one is the shortest - stop (which on a DMU with a buzzer means leaning on the button until the brakes kick in). Once you've done that, you have a bit of time to work out what next.

R G NOW.

Yes, with RA dispatch no bell/buzzer is used though.

It is a funny thing. Noticed at Cardiff, when a train terminates in platform 4, the conductor and passengers leave train and the dispatcher presses the train ready button, then the signal shows a draw ahead signal with an indicator showing UC, then they insert key into right away switch and turn it. RA lights up at the starting signal next to the UC indicator, the driver then moves off towards canton depot.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
In some stations I always thought, drivers had to wait for a RA indicator at the signal also.
Its either / or. If there's a guard, the RA would be used to repeat the guard's signal to the driver if there wasn't a bell or buzzer, or if they weren't working. The guard would wave a green flag, and the platform staff would then indicate Right Away by using the RA indicator

Mollman

Established Member
Then again "stop" is only one...

However with buzzers the "one" would probably be extended by holding down the button until the guard felt the brakes going on.

That's my experience of it.

Carlisle

Established Member
the conductor and passengers leave train and the dispatcher presses the train ready button, then the signal shows a draw ahead signal with an indicator showing UC, then they insert key into right away switch and turn it. RA lights up at the starting signal next to the UC indicator, the driver then moves off towards canton depot.
That’s the standard way of dispatching empty stock workings at many or probably most locations these days that do so on a regular basis .

Status
Not open for further replies.