• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bells on stations question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billh

Many years ago when I went train watching at Guide Bridge, the imminent arrival of *some* passenger trains was announced by a loud electric bell somewhere on the station. I suppose it was to summon staff from the bar( I mean refreshment room) on platform 4 to attend to luggage, door closing and the like. I don't expect Guide Bridge was unique with its bell, but my question is: who was responsible for sounding it? the nearest signal box? The stationmaster? Railway Control in some distant office?Does it still happen anywhere,perhaps on a preserved line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
The bell at the tunnel end of Ipswich Station which warns that a train will soon emerge. Sounds very much like the same bell as 60 years ago too.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm afraid the sound of an electric bell on a platform is something I never wish to hear again, as I associate it with standing on Grove Park station in SE London in the early evening of Guy Fawkes Day, 1967, waiting for the Charing Cross stopper, idly noting a fast train going by London-bound, followed by silence for a few minutes and then, seemingly, every bell in Christendom ringing simultaneously on the station, and consternation amongst the two or three staff with much running around and shouting. I think my train probably crept into the platform during that time, but I can't in all honesty remember now. It certainly never left, because what became known as the Hither Green Rail Disaster had just occurred down the line. I'm afraid I just can't hear such a bell now without fearing the worst.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You can still here such bells at stations like Worcester Foregate Street, due to all the semaphore signalling that is present. Quite useful for knowing when that it's not long until the train arrives.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Pretty sure a bell still sounded at Newbury until quite recently? Not been any sempahores there for many years.

Don't recall hearing it on Saturday though.

John Luxton

Established Member
A bell is used at Porthmadog Harbour on the Ffestiniog Rly when a train is ready to depart.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Used to be one in the mechanical box at Pontypridd , so when "entering section" was received , you plunged the platform bell - depending on direction - when you remembered ......!!

John Webb

Established Member
St Albans City station in semaphore days had a bell on one of the platforms rung from the nearby St Albans South signal box. The signalman would ring the number of rings according to which platform the approaching train was going to. This may have been, in part, due to the large bend in the line through the station which prevented trains being seen until they were close to the platforms.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Long gone now, Stockport Tiviot Dale Station I believe also had a bell located on the tunnel wall on the eastbound side to warn station staff of the impending arrival of a train from the murky gloom of the tunnel.

billh

Thanks for the interesting replies
Used to be one in the mechanical box at Pontypridd , so when "entering section" was received , you plunged the platform bell - depending on direction - when you remembered ......!!

The 'boxes at either end of Guide Bridge, Stockport Jct and Ashton Jct were very busy in the years I remember, there was always something on the move around the station. I know a couple of people who worked in Ashton Jct ,one was the train recording lad , he never stopped from start to end of shift. I would have thought that pressing a bell button for the convenience of platform staff was low priority, if as you say , they even remembered!
Also, from some replies, it seems that bells were installed where stations were next to tunnels or on sharp curves, that is not the case at Guide Bridge where approaching trains can be seen up to half a mile away in either direction,at least on the main line.

me123

Established Member
I'm sure Dundee has a bell that rings when trains are approaching, certainly for trains approaching platform 1 from the North. Often, it would immediately precede a manual announcement. That said, it's been many years since I've been to Dundee without passing through.

341o2

Established Member
I'm sure Dundee has a bell that rings when trains are approaching, certainly for trains approaching platform 1 from the North. Often, it would immediately precede a manual announcement. That said, it's been many years since I've been to Dundee without passing through.

Corfe Castle has a similar arrangement. Probably due to the crossing for those unable to use the footbridge

Shimbleshanks

I remember that Bangor in North Wales had a bell on the main platform that sounded about five minutes before train arrival on platform 2 (the main up through platform towards Chester). Possibly still has - I haven't used the station regularly since the 1980s.

Would it have been something to do with the fact that the approach to the station was in tunnel until just before the station limits, hence no visual warning that a train was approaching?

Can't remember that there was one on the down platform (3) towards Holyhead (the approach was also in tunnel) but then I hardly ever waited for a train going that way.

philjo

Established Member
Don't know if it still operates - a bell would sound at Canterbury West a few minutes before tha arrival of a train towards Ashford & London when I was at Uni in the mid 1990's.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There's a bell that goes off when the indicator board shows which route a train's taking across the level crossing at Exeter St Davids. It's been there for as long as I can remember, usually the gates go down, the sign lights up saying 4D for example accompanied by a load ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.