• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Belper - Milford Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisM

Not bad.
Maybe run them through neat image and you could get them with a little less noise.
Just a suggestion as i can see the shoting conditions were not great,never is this time of year.

Dennis

Established Member
Have to agree that looks a nice location with some good results even in the winters gloom.

Got to imagining a summers day lounging around there with a few tinnies and jumping, up camera in hand, whenever an approaching train was heard. Then I realised I had no idea where Belper is. Looking on the net, it is in Derbyshire, has a waterless fountain and a park full of geese which the locals complain pooh too much!

Sam

Its a great location. You can see the trains running south a long time before they get to you. Also you can hear the northbound services rumble through the tunnel before they get to you. I would recomend the location to anyone visiting Derbyshire

Coxster

Established Member
It is on the Derby to Matlock branch, although some trains diverge towards Nottingham in the Belper area. The trains to Matlock run every two hours. Not sure about the diverging trains or freight.

Coxster

Established Member
It is on the Derby to Matlock branch, although some trains diverge towards Nottingham in the Belper area. The trains to Matlock run every two hours. Not sure about the diverging trains or freight.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Coxster said:

No they dont. The only chance to leave the Main Line's at Belper, are to enter Belper Engineers sidings, which are a mile south of the Station.

The branch for Matlock leaves at Ambergate Junction just over 2 miles North of the Station.

Coxster

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
Coxster said:

No they dont. The only chance to leave the Main Line's at Belper, are to enter Belper Engineers sidings, which are a mile south of the Station.

The branch for Matlock leaves at Ambergate Junction just over 2 miles North of the Station.
Ambergate isn't that far away from Belper in the grand scale of things... :roll:

JimmyLad007

Jamie C. Steel said:

Nah it's only about 1/4 of a mile, but the sidings are never used now. Traffic is:

Voyagers, HSTs, 9 Car Meridians, + 2 4 cars a day I think, Freightliner ntermodals, Mixed EWS Freight (mostly steel, cement, aggregate), Freightliner Heavy Haul Coal, various test trains from Derby RTC, and one Central Trains unit a day for the Derwent Valley (Matlock) service.

I found the location when I was out walking, and didn't think it was well known, but when I went down on Deltic day (28th) there were no fewer than 9 others waiting to photograph the locomotive.

Also if you're interested, theres plenty of history in Belper with its mills and river gardens. There are also plenty of nice works in the countryside. Even if you don't come for rail enthusiasm purposes, Belper is definately worth a visit.

I can't think of this non-working fountain though...

Coxster said:

no trains diverge to nottingham from belper

you may be on about clay cross junction which is nearer chesterfield

Dennis

Established Member
[[/quote]

Also if you're interested, theres plenty of history in Belper with its mills and river gardens. There are also plenty of nice works in the countryside. Even if you don't come for rail enthusiasm purposes, Belper is definately worth a visit.

I can't think of this non-working fountain though...[/quote]

Not really a fountain at all....
http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_a_h/belper.htm
(fourth photo down)

Does look a nice place though, might come and take a look in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.