• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Berks and Hants

Status
Not open for further replies.

devon_metro

Established Member
Why is so much of the B&Hs 90-110Mph?

Taunton-Westbury seems perfectly capable of 125Mph, slashign journey times, only with a bit of signal improvements up to Castle Cary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GeoffM

Signal spacing is the same for 110mph as it is 125mph (minimum 2039m on level ground IIRC). As the signals west of Bedwyn are over 1.5miles apart, spacing certainly isn't an issue.

Curves, however, are another matter. There's probably higher maintenance costs with 125mph as well. With only just over a dozen trains each way between Castle Cary and Cogload, it probably isn't worth the cost.

Geoff M.

devon_metro

Established Member
Signal spacing is the same for 110mph as it is 125mph (minimum 2039m on level ground IIRC). As the signals west of Bedwyn are over 1.5miles apart, spacing certainly isn't an issue.

Curves, however, are another matter. There's probably higher maintenance costs with 125mph as well. With only just over a dozen trains each way between Castle Cary and Cogload, it probably isn't worth the cost.

Geoff M.

I suppose, but if journey times were cut, i imagine more services would run in the long run, as it would take less time to get to London meaning more people would want to travel by rail.

When i last covered the section or line from Taunton-Westbury, it seemed to take forever. I can't imagine it would take that much more money to maintain, as you say, only 10 or so trains cover the line.

devon_metro

Established Member
Also, would Taunton-Exeter St davids not be possible for 125 running, plenty of voyagers, HSTs and the line is very straight so IMHO perfectly suited. Would cut journey times yet again.

Unless money is invested, the railways can't improve!

ntanswell

I asked whether the line from Gloucester to Birmingham was capable of 125mph,which is a major intercity trunk route served by a Virgin every 30 minutes in each direction. The majority of it is seems very straight from the train up until Longbridge. It currently is 95mph Gloucester to Cheltenham, 40mph through Cheltenham station (but 20mph TSRs have been in place there for ages now), 100mph until Bromsgrove, 80mph up the lickey, 90mph from Barnt Green to Kings Norton then 60 and less from there into New Street. I found that it would be very expensive to upgrade it to 125mph as there are quite a few automatic half barrier crossings on it which would have to be upgraded to full barrier to enable 125mph. I think this is also the case for Taunton- Exeter. Sorry to go off topic, but does anyone happen to know whether Gloucester to Birmingham was upgraded to 100mph during the crosscountry route upgrade a few years back, or has it always been that speed?

Nathan

devon_metro

Established Member
How fast is the route from Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton, as it doesn't seem any faster than the Berks and Hants.

100. Reaching 110 near Highbridge and Burnham.

There are 2 LCs that would need to be upgraded, as obviously 125 wouldn't be possible over Cowley Bridge.

It can't take too much to upgrade the LCs, I imagine there would be lots of benefits, same applies to Gloucester-Brum.

GeoffM

By my calculations, making Westbury to Taunton 125mph all the way (which is not physically possible) would save just 5 minutes of journey time. Taunton to Exeter St D, just 3 minutes.

I think the money could be better spent on resignalling certain bottlenecks - which would probably save more time than speed enhancements. Westbury station, for example, has numerous conflicts per hour. Castle Cary to Cogload Jn has a poor 11 minute headway.

Geoff M.

Status
Not open for further replies.