• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Berlin ABC Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister-sparky

Hey guys, can a Berlin Zone ABC ticket be used on any train within the zones? ie an ICE or IC from Spandau to Hbf? Or is it just local trains? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
not IC/ICE

Though I believe there are some exceptions to this as there are a very limited number of specific ICE/IC that can be used. Where such a list might be found however is beyond me but I've definitely seen reference to it!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Though I believe there are some exceptions to this as there are a very limited number of specific ICE/IC that can be used. Where such a list might be found however is beyond me but I've definitely seen reference to it!

I know there's some curiosity around the Muenchen-Salzburg ICs which were supplement free and now *may* be valid on the cheaper regional fares. Not heard of one around Berlin but it doesn't mean there isn't. There's also the Berchtesgaden IC (one per day) which runs as RE past Freilassing.

Aictos

Established Member
Only RB/RE/IRE/S, not IC/ICE.

Really? I've used it on a ICE between Potsdam and Berlin Hauptbahnhof with no issues - think it was a ICE 3 as you could see the same view as the driver.

Of course I probably was lucky at the time!

U-Bahnfreund

Really? I've used it on a ICE between Potsdam and Berlin Hauptbahnhof with no issues - think it was a ICE 3 as you could see the same view as the driver.

Yes, nowhere in Germany does DB accept Verkehrsverbund tickets on ICE, IC or EC trains apart from when there's a big chaos on the railway, with the only exceptions being the IC trains between Bremen and Norddeich Mole, and on the Gäubahn in Baden-Württemberg as well as the following trains in the VBB area: https://www.bahn.de/regional/view/regionen/berlin_brbg/info/vbb_ic_nutzung.shtml

It's different in Austria and I believe Switzerland, where Verkehrsbund tickets are valid in ICE, IC, RJ etc. So I recommend taking the railjet one stop from Vienna Airport to Vienna Hbf

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I was going to say that you have a very good chance of fare-dodging on intra-city local journeys on ICEs due to the lack of barriers and lack of time for on-board checks, a bit like Deansgate<->Picc in Manchester used to be effectively free prior to barriers there. But fare-dodging is what it is; Verbund tickets are only generally valid on RB/RE/S/IRE, though there are odd edge cases and upgrade tickets in some areas.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, nowhere in Germany does DB accept Verkehrsverbund tickets on ICE, IC or EC trains apart from when there's a big chaos on the railway, with the only exceptions being the IC trains between Bremen and Norddeich Mole, and on the Gäubahn in Baden-Württemberg as well as the following trains in the VBB area: https://www.bahn.de/regional/view/regionen/berlin_brbg/info/vbb_ic_nutzung.shtml

Interesting that they have done that by acceptance rather than running them as REs for the section with acceptance as used to be more common and is the case for the IC Koenigssee to Berchtesgaden. Possibly to keep the Wochenendticket and Quer Durchs Land Ticket travellers off.

Aictos

Established Member
I was going to say that you have a very good chance of fare-dodging on intra-city local journeys on ICEs due to the lack of barriers and lack of time for on-board checks, a bit like Deansgate<->Picc in Manchester used to be effectively free prior to barriers there. But fare-dodging is what it is; Verbund tickets are only generally valid on RB/RE/S/IRE, though there are odd edge cases and upgrade tickets in some areas.

I didn't know that at the time, I do now though - I just assumed that it covered ALL services in the zones not just the locals.

I usually use the ODEG services though, thanks for clarifying this though!

Aictos

Established Member
They are, though they tend not to prosecute, it's just a fairly hefty Penalty Fare (EUR80/100 ish?)

It's one of these things that happen to be a oversight of the person concerned in this case me, I can't and won't blame anyone else for my lack of knowledge here.

I hasten to add I've always ensured I had a ticket for any other journeys made, it was just at the time I was under the impression that it was valid after all we are not all perfect well I would hope not!

I should have said though but I got forgot to say but I did have a valid ticket for that journey as I had both the ABC ticket and a rail ticket enabling me to use any DB service for a period of time so in any case if I was checked would they have any issue with me if I first presented the wrong ticket but then once I understood it wasn't valid actually showed them the valid ticket?

I'm sorry if I've led to confusion but I did actually think that the ABC tickets actually did cover ALL services in that area.

The main point is though I now am aware that for future trips to Berlin that I cannot use these tickets on the IC/ICE services in the zones.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I should have said though but I got forgot to say but I did have a valid ticket for that journey as I had both the ABC ticket and a rail ticket enabling me to use any DB service for a period of time so in any case if I was checked would they have any issue with me if I first presented the wrong ticket but then once I understood it wasn't valid actually showed them the valid ticket?

I can't see why they would have any issue with that if on being told you were not valid you fished out the other ticket. The issue isn't showing the wrong ticket, it's not holding one! :)

gordonthemoron

Established Member
All IC/EC/ICE services terminating in Berlin are set down only, and pick up only in the opposite direction. The staff do not appear to check tickets on these services. I don't think the check tickets within Berlin on through services within Berlin either

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
It's officially valid aboard (within ABC):

Berlin - Bernau

ICE: 1531, 1712, 1714
IC: 1924, 1970, 2422, 2424, 2426, 2428

Bernau - Berlin

ICE: 1713, 1729, 1736
IC: 1932, 2325, 2421, 2423, 2426, 2428

Potsdam - Berlin

IC: 1031, 2431

Berlin - Potsdam

IC: 1002, 2432

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's officially valid aboard (within ABC):

Berlin - Bernau

Bernau - Berlin

Potsdam - Berlin

Berlin - Potsdam

Is there a link to this? Would be interested in your source.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Is there a link to this? Would be interested in your source.

So would I as I am now very confused :s

Sure thing! Here you go:

https://www.bahn.de/regional/view/regionen/berlin_brbg/info/vbb_ic_nutzung.shtml

VBB-Karten gelten auch in ausgewählten EC / IC Zügen

Bitte beachten Sie:
  • VBB-Fahrkarten bitte im Vorverkauf lösen, da kein Verkauf in diesen Zügen möglich ist.
  • Das Brandenburg-Berlin-Ticket / Brandenburg-Berlin Ticket Nacht wird akzeptiert.
  • Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket, VBB-Kombi-Tickets (z.B. Veranstaltungskarten mit Fahrberechtigung) und Sonderfahrkarten gelten nicht.
  • unentgeltliche Nutzung durch mobilitätseingeschränkte Reisende mit Schwerbehindertenausweis und gültiger Wertmarke bis zum letzten Haltebahnhof im VBB-Bereich

Abschnitt/Züge
Berlin - Bernau - Eberswalde - Angermünde - Prenzlau

Prenzlau - Angermünde - Eberswalde - Bernau - Berlin

Potsdam - Berlin - Lübben - Lübbenau - Cottbus

Cottbus - Lübbenau - Lübben - Berlin - Potsdam

In essence, the site says that VBB tickets are accepted but not sold on board, the Brandenburg-Berlin ticket and variants are valid but the Beautiful-Weekend ticket isn't, and disabled passes are also accepted.

Information on this seems to be badly advertised online but it's scattered around quite well locally with notices at Potsdam Hbf advertising validity.

Status
Not open for further replies.