• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Berlin Day Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
How can you get to Kostryn from Berlin?

Direct train from Berlin-Lichtenberg straight into Kostrzyn nad Odrą. Takes the same time as the train to Frankfurt (Oder).

If I was doing it as a tourist, I'd take the direct train to Kostrzyn, then walk from the train station to the Old City in Kostrzyn, go to the museum there after exploring the grounds, and then walk to the train station in Kustrin-Kietz (DE) to get back to Berlin.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
There's also (sporadic) PolRegio trains to Szcezcin from Kostrzyn although when I did it I was accosted by drunks and there were seemingly no other passengers either :lol: It was quite a strange one! I suspect that the TLK/IC trains on the same route are somewhat nicer to use.

Veteran Member
How can you get to Kostryn from Berlin?
On the direct hourly DMU from Berlin-Lichtenberg (which I believe will resume soon).
Edit: sorry, missed the previous answers, but at least I didn't get it wrong. :)
Just a bit further on is Gorzow which is rather nice, and ISTR there are cheap fares from Berlin.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Direct train from Berlin-Lichtenberg straight into Kostrzyn nad Odrą. Takes the same time as the train to Frankfurt (Oder).
If I was doing it as a tourist, I'd take the direct train to Kostrzyn, then walk from the train station to the Old City in Kostrzyn, go to the museum there after exploring the grounds, and then walk to the train station in Kustrin-Kietz (DE) to get back to Berlin.

That line is the remnant of the Ostbahn (Prussian Eastern Railway) which was at one time one of the most important lines in Germany - it ran to Danzig and Königsberg and on to the Russian Empire before 1918.
After 1945, the Berlin-Frankfurt-Poznan-Warsaw line was preferred for investment.

Veteran Member
There is a regional train from Berlin Lichtenberg taken aprox 90 minutes.
How far is it from the station to the old Küstrin?
Looks about 1km on the map - and for the economy-minded, within 2km of Kietz station on the German side.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
How far is it from the station to the old Küstrin?

Not far, about 2km or so into the centre of the old Kustrin. I'd recommend taking pictures with you, as it's quite an astonishing sight to realise that an entire town centre has vanished. I highly recommend visiting the museum inside Bastion Filip (http://muzeum.kostrzyn.pl/pl/), as well as exploring the rest of the area.

If you get hungry, there's the giant Polenmarkt nearby as well, which has numerous restaurants. Finally, from the Berlin Gate to Kustrin-Kietz station, it's about 2.5km.

Gricer99

I went there and did the day ticket some 30 years ago. I remember there being a station to the East of the system, Lichtenberg I think where you could see a very old version of the German HST.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
The Schoenberger Suedgelande is one of my favourite places in Berlin, an old railway yard abandoned for decades, now it is open as a park with railway themed art, a locomotive, water tower
€1 entry I think, easy walk from Suedkreuz or Priesterweg stations

The inner ring is good, and one can also circumnavigate Berlin on the outer ring, with several changes, check the timetables first, the trains are not so frequent

Last edited:

StephenHunter

Established Member
I went there and did the day ticket some 30 years ago. I remember there being a station to the East of the system, Lichtenberg I think where you could see a very old version of the German HST.

The SVT 175. It's still there, I believe.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
There are or were some 'Donald Duck' Airport Express trains visible from the depot by the line north of Neustrelitz (further north, not in VBB)
Potsdam is interesting but it is popular and there is so much to see, one could spend a week there
I prefer small towns, many have interesting parks, churches, town walls, museums
I suggest Gransee

Status
Not open for further replies.