• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bermondsey dive under open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunset route

Looking at my diagrams (that could be out of date), once you leave London Bridge platforms 10-15 if you not routed onto line No9 at the staion throat then you have no choice but use the ladder at Brick Layers Arms Jcn against the flow of traffic as I can't find any other points between lines 10 and 9 to get you accross. Thus making line 9/Down Sussex Slow the most important piece of railway infrastructure leaving London Bridege (Sussex Side) once the Thameslink master plan kicks off in December 2018. I would of thought a crossover at Spa Road would of been a good back up (unless there is one which is missing from my diagram).

(Now expecting to get shot down in flames from those in the know lmao)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IKB

Looking at my diagrams (that could be out of date), once you leave London Bridge platforms 10-15 if you not routed onto line No9 at the staion throat then you have no choice but use the ladder at Brick Layers Arms Jcn against the flow of traffic as I can't find any other points between lines 10 and 9 to get you accross. Thus making line 9/Down Sussex Slow the most important piece of railway infrastructure leaving London Bridege (Sussex Side) once the Thameslink master plan kicks off in December 2018. I would of thought a crossover at Spa Road would of been a good back up (unless there is one which is missing from my diagram).

(Now expecting to get shot down in flames from those in the know lmao)

Looking at the diagram I have (which could also be wrong) I think you're correct.

After Brunswick Court you can only go left to right (8>9>10>11) in the down direction, not the other way around. So if you're not routed onto 9 Rev at TL4119 on the first gantry out of the station then you can't get there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes noted, I wasn't envisaging timetabled everyday occurrences, more like a get of jail card.

That was really what I was also suggesting when we had this discussion before, back in early October.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

After Brunswick Court you can only go left to right (8>9>10>11) in the down direction, not the other way around. So if you're not routed onto 9 Rev at TL4119 on the first gantry out of the station then you can't get there.

Will any Southern services normally be booked to use line 8 in the final layout though? The Stage 4 layout sketches in the 2014 presentation suggest (by colour coding) that line 8 is Southeastern's; and the signalling diagrams pages 40/41 in the same pdf suggest it is nearly all an up direction only line?

Last edited:

IKB

Will any Southern services normally be booked to use line 8 in the final layout though? The Stage 4 layout sketches in the 2014 presentation suggest (by colour coding) that line 8 is Southeastern's; and the signalling diagrams pages 40/41 in the same pdf suggest it is nearly all an up direction only line?

Not sure if booked to use it, but it is currently signalled in the Down direction and the Sectional Appendix labels it as a Down line. According to the diagram I have 8 & 9 merge at Spa Road.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not sure if booked to use it, but it is currently signalled in the Down direction and the Sectional Appendix labels it as a Down line. According to the diagram I have 8 & 9 merge at Spa Road.

The short part of Line 8 comes out of use this Christmas, and is then 'repurposed' as an up line for SE services. It won't see use as a down line, and I'm reasonably sure the down signalling is removed.

IKB

The short part of Line 8 comes out of use this Christmas, and is then 'repurposed' as an up line for SE services. It won't see use as a down line, and I'm reasonably sure the down signalling is removed.

Interesting, thanks. I thought I saw a switched on Down signal or two in last couple of weeks, but could of since disappeared.

The Stage 4 layout sketches in the 2014 presentation suggest (by colour coding) that line 8 is Southeastern's; and the signalling diagrams pages 40/41 in the same pdf suggest it is nearly all an up direction only line?

You are correct then, my diagram must show what is currently in place, not what will be in future :)

Last edited:

physics34

Established Member

yeh thats roughly what i was told. Line 8 was just a "bonus" for a while for us SOuthern drivers!

carriageline

Established Member

Seeing the signalling diagrams for the final layout has the down signalling in place. But only as a way to get from the Eastern side to the central side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

physics34

Established Member
Just seen the route pack that is being handed out to staff.
All pretty straight forward. Should solve a few issues.

Southern drivers have started the route briefing but it might be tight to get all drivers who sign LBG to get their briefing before the 27th! We'll see!

Last edited:

ijmad

Established Member
So one of the tracks under the dive-under is being brought in to service during Christmas engineering works, right? Presumably the down for Southern services, correct?

carriageline

Established Member
Correct. Down Sussex Slow through the BDU is commissioned on the morning of the 27th.

carriageline

Established Member
All opened up! Now to see if all the drivers sign the route

MotCO

Established Member
Yep, the less said about that the better;)

What would happen if a driver approached the area and realised s/he was being sent via the Dive Under when they had not been signed for it? Are there any circumstances when they would go down an unsigned route when conveying passengers?

carriageline

Established Member
What would happen if a driver approached the area and realised s/he was being sent via the Dive Under when they had not been signed for it? Are there any circumstances when they would go down an unsigned route when conveying passengers?

Drivers won't go down an unsigned route AT ALL, unless there is a driver in the cab who signs the route and can "conduct" the driver and tell him where signals are, what the speed is, and stations etc etc.

Drivers will realise they are going towards the BDU by the signals they are getting, what junction indicators are lit etc. If a driver goes past the signal and realises he doesn't sign the route, then he changes ends, makes a wrong direction move back behind the signal, then goes the correct way.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Drivers will realise they are going towards the BDU by the signals they are getting, what junction indicators are lit etc. If a driver goes past the signal and realises he doesn't sign the route, then he changes ends, makes a wrong direction move back behind the signal, then goes the correct way.

What is the procedure to get authority for that?

bengley

Established Member
We don't sign it separately to the other lines - it's part of the route. We were all given a brief to look at and that was our only way of 'signing' it as there were no passenger or training trains over it before it opened.

I worked over it today (incidentally this was also my first passenger working since passing out as a driver) and it's a lot better than the reversibles. Much faster and smoother, it's quite cool flying through it at 50mph (there's a TSR on it, it will be 60 once lifted.)

rebmcr

Established Member
We don't sign it separately to the other lines - it's part of the route. We were all given a brief to look at and that was our only way of 'signing' it as there were no passenger or training trains over it before it opened.

I worked over it today (incidentally this was also my first passenger working since passing out as a driver) and it's a lot better than the reversibles. Much faster and smoother, it's quite cool flying through it at 50mph (there's a TSR on it, it will be 60 once lifted.)

Other than the points at either end, what extra knowledge is required to add it to the signed route? Does it incorporate any new signals?

bengley

Established Member
Other than the points at either end, what extra knowledge is required to add it to the signed route? Does it incorporate any new signals?

Different linespeed and yes a couple of signals, but all routes can be accepted from the signal at the end so it's a fairly low risk route.

Sunset route

Most but not all services used it today, as I was watching on CCF for most of my shift. It all seemed to be running very smoothly especially through Bricklayers Arms junction. There were a lot of controlled signals worked in auto (a very rare event until now). Most up used the USS/F onto the Suusex Rev thence line 10, most down used line 9 onto the DSS then either staying on or crossing onto the DSF. Train from South Bermondsey mainly used line 11 in both directions which is how I'm guessing it is supposed to work. Now all we need to see is it first AM peek service to give it its first proper test.

neilm

Most but not all services used it today, as I was watching on CCF for most of my shift. It all seemed to be running very smoothly especially through Bricklayers Arms junction. There were a lot of controlled signals worked in auto (a very rare event until now). Most up used the USS/F onto the Suusex Rev thence line 10, most down used line 9 onto the DSS then either staying on or crossing onto the DSF. Train from South Bermondsey mainly used line 11 in both directions which is how I'm guessing it is supposed to work. Now all we need to see is it first AM peek service to give it its first proper test.
We won't be seeing a full peek service for weeks I think.

carriageline

Established Member
What is the procedure to get authority for that?

Driver contacts the signaller. If it's one of the few reasons that the rule book allows, then the signaller sets it up, and between the driver and signaller the wrong direction move takes place.

No authority is needed past that. Obviously the driver needs to get authority from the signaller to make the move, but the signaller doesn't need authority from above.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Driver contacts the signaller. If it's one of the few reasons that the rule book allows, then the signaller sets it up, and between the driver and signaller the wrong direction move takes place.

No authority is needed past that. Obviously the driver needs to get authority from the signaller to make the move, but the signaller doesn't need authority from above.

And there would be a chat sans tea and biscuits in the driver's future for accepting a wrong route!

IKB

Sounds like a good start. I was looking at RTT earlier and there were a few trains nicking a minute or so in both directions. With down trains now using line 9/DSS, I'm assuming those on the USF weren't having to get checked down/crossed over just after New Cross Gate? If so that should speed things up nicely.

bengley

Established Member
Sounds like a good start. I was looking at RTT earlier and there were a few trains nicking a minute or so in both directions. With down trains now using line 9/DSS, I'm assuming those on the USF weren't having to get checked down/crossed over just after New Cross Gate? If so that should speed things up nicely.

The points after NXG are 60mph anyway so doesn't cost any time going onto the slow there

IKB

The points after NXG are 60mph anyway so doesn't cost any time going onto the slow there

Yes, but it's common to get cautionary aspects on the approach to/through NXG due to the South Bermondsey bottleneck and having keep the Sussex Reversible free for Down trains. If the controlled signals are switched to auto more often it would suggest more greens and sailing through USF onto Sussex Rev and 10.

I'm curious to know why the new points from the DSS to the DSF are 50mph and not 60mph. Both pieces of track are parallel and there's plenty of room to have a longer, quicker crossover.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.