• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Berth Allocation on the Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsC

hi everyone,was wondering if you could help me,

I booked 2 bargain berths for the Euston-Inverness sleeper in June and expected them to take the money from my account straight away,when they hadn't I called and was told that they take the money when they allocate the berth..does anyone know roughly how long this takes?we booked for Sunday night travel if this makes any difference?

Also does each indivdual 'set' of trains have it's own resturant car?or is it just one for the whole train that leaves Euston?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

The Inverness portion of the 16-coach train is at the Euston end and is the rear two coaches, one of which is the lounge car, and 6 sleeping cars. There is then another seated coach (which goes through to Aberdeen but also conveys Fort William passengers), a lounge car also for Aberdeen/FW pax, 4 sleepers for Aberdeen and 2 for Fort William.

Never bought a bargain berth before so can't comment on how it works.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not miles, no. A maximum of 6 coaches depending on which coach you are allocated in.

Enjoy the trip. June is definitely the best time to go, to maximise daylight hours!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have a bargain berth for the end of May and I only received the berth allocation last week, so I think yours might not be released for a while yet.

MrsC

Thanks for the replies.I'm looking forward to the trip,though from reading reviews,I don't expect much sleep :) I'm just hoping my 2 year old sleeps..

MrsC

M03 and MO4...does anyone know where in the carriage these are?

Thanks

wintonian

Established Member
At one of the ends and same berth I think.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Pedant Alert Warning!! :p

At one of the ends and same berth I think

Correct at the end of the carriage (2nd in from the end). NOT the same berth though but the same compartment (not cabin - these are found on ships). The term berth applies to the individual bed or beds in said compartment.

Pedant Alert All Clear!! :D

MrsC

Is it bad I'm looking forward to the trip more than my toddler?he just wants to see 'Thomas the Tank Engine'..

Lee_Again

I'm also going to Inverness in June using bargain berths. Down on the 5th and Up on the 7th.

I'm with my two kids (b7 / g4) and so contacted Scotrail to ensure we are all in the same compartment. Essentially, if you selected the 'share' option you'll be in the same berth.

As I have two kids in my compartment they have sent me the berth details already.

wintonian

Established Member
Pedant Alert Warning!! :p

Correct at the end of the carriage (2nd in from the end). NOT the same berth though but the same compartment (not cabin - these are found on ships). The term berth applies to the individual bed or beds in said compartment.

Pedant Alert All Clear!! :D

Yes but I didn't want to try and spell compartment on the phone. ;)

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes but I didn't want to try and spell compartment on the phone. ;)

Don't worry I tend to struggle to spell full stop. (Even with spell check). However I sometimes use my phone dictionary to check spelling for report writing - just have to watch out for Americanisms though! :D

I think the OP will enjoy her journey as there is nothing quite like going to bed in a big city and waking up in the countryside - hopefully she will have the weather on her side. Try to get up round about Pitlochry for breakfast in the lounge car so you can see the scenery change as you approach the bleak summit of Druimuachdar (or Drummochter in the Sassenach!) At 1'484 ft this is the highest point on the rail network in the UK. I also like the stretch over the Culloden Viaduct and the approach into Inverness. I just wish they would reopen Culloden station.

Obtain a copy of Michael Pearson's "Iron Road to the Highlands - Rathad Iarainn don Gaildhealtachd for more info on the Highland Main Line.:D

Yew

Established Member
M03 and MO4...does anyone know where in the carriage these are?

Thanks

03 and 04 will be in the second compartment along, so it will be Vestibule, Attendant compartment, Sleeper compartment, Your compartment. The toilets will be at the other end of the carriage, so it might be a shorter walk to go to the toilets in the next carriage along, depending on which way it is arranged

If the layout of the Highland is the same as the Lowland, then I beleive coach M will be the third carriage away from the lounge car

|Lounge|Sleeper|Sleeper|Sleeper| - Bold should be yours

Hope that helps, I did the lowland in january and I have menus from the lounge car if you would like me to upload a scan of it. (You get some in your berth welcome pack, I didnt steal them from the lounge :) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.