• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bescot Mark 2 stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Driving past Bescot yard on the motorway yesterday, I saw a rake of mark 2 air-cons. Was hard to tell what livery they were. They were either dark coloured or filthy! One was covered in graffiti.

What are they there for and who do they belong to please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
They possibly belong to WCRC, they had according to a list I saw recently around six mk2 aircon's stored there, one being a BSO and the others mainly of the TSO type.

sprinterguy

Established Member
They were all in maroon, with small silver EWS beasties here and there, therefore they're probably DB-owned coaches. Perhaps the old company train before they went to Mk3s?
No, the EWS and latterly DB company train has always consisted of the present stock. The mark 2s at Bescot are from a railtour rake that EWS formed up perhaps ten years ago. You are correct though that they are owned by DB.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did these operate on the Fife Circle?
DB Schenker used similar vehicles on the Fife Circle, but not these particular examples, which were already stored at Bescot before the Fife Circle loco-hauled contract transferred from DB Schenker to DRS. The Fife Circle loco-hauled vehicles gained DB logos on their maroon livery before withdrawal, the stock at Bescot retains EWS logos.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
What does DB actually plan to do with these coaches, as they have been stuck at Bescot for as long as I can remember. They are now pretty grotty both on the interior and on the exterior!
Sam

Southern Dvr

I am guessing they are positioned some way away from the station otherwise they would have been vandalised heavily by now surely?

Considering popping up to West Midlands for some photos, is it worth swinging past Bescot?

Harbornite

Established Member
I am guessing they are positioned some way away from the station otherwise they would have been vandalised heavily by now surely?

Considering popping up to West Midlands for some photos, is it worth swinging past Bescot?

They are visible from the M6 on a good day.

randyrippley

Established Member
talking of MkII coaches visible from the M6........one was going north up the M6 through the Lune Gorge on a lowloader yesterday. MKII sleeper coach, dirty dark blue with a broad orange band below window level. All the windows appeared to have detachable fitted metal screens (with handles) painted the same colour. Not a livery I recognised and very rough looking. Any ideas anyone?

route:oxford

Established Member
talking of MkII coaches visible from the M6........one was going north up the M6 through the Lune Gorge on a lowloader yesterday. MKII sleeper coach, dirty dark blue with a broad orange band below window level. All the windows appeared to have detachable fitted metal screens (with handles) painted the same colour. Not a livery I recognised and very rough looking. Any ideas anyone?

MarkIIs are used within the sleeper consist, but I didn't think there were any MarkII sleeper coaches built?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
MarkIIs are used within the sleeper consist, but I didn't think there were any MarkII sleeper coaches built?

Wikipedia from what I can see also does not think that any MarkII sleeper carriages were built, neither in fact does my gut feeling.
Sam

randyrippley

Established Member
so what MkII would have narrow sleeper-type windows? and why would it have metal plates over the windows?

On Moderation
Wikipedia from what I can see also does not think that any MarkII sleeper carriages were built, neither in fact does my gut feeling.

Sam

There were no Mark 2 sleepers built; however it doesn't really take much gumption to work out it's probably a reference to the seated coaches or lounge cars from the sleeper sets, which are Mark 2.

sprinterguy

Established Member
There were no Mark 2 sleepers built; however it doesn't really take much gumption to work out it's probably a reference to the seated coaches or lounge cars from the sleeper sets, which are Mark 2.
I would think that dark blue mark 2 stock with a broad orange stripe would suggest either the pseudo-GNER livery that was applied to a few mark 2 vehicles sourced from Carnforth for the final Harry Potter film, at least one of which was awaiting disposal at the start of this year, or a genuine ex-GNER barrier vehicle, which have their windows blanked off and a majority of those retained at Bounds Green with VTEC retain the livery.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member

Actually, I think it sounds more like a GNER liveried Barrier Coach.

alexl92

Established Member
I would think that dark blue mark 2 stock with a broad orange stripe would suggest either the pseudo-GNER livery that was applied to a few mark 2 vehicles sourced from Carnforth for the final Harry Potter film

Where can you find pics of the MKIIs in this livery?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Where can you find pics of the MKIIs in this livery?
In the film. ;)

More seriously, I'm not really sure. They were visible in the yard at Carnforth (reputedly only one side of the carriages may have been painted/vinyled for the film) from passing trains for a time, so somebody might have taken a photo then. It only really was a poor approximation of GNER livery.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just google 'GNER MK2'
Oh, yeah, that works too:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamo01/11245130614

Defiance149

Mk.4 barrier coach 6359 to store at Longtown.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I would suggest a former GNER barrier vehicle - where it is off to is a mystery

EDIT: OH :oops::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.