• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best and Worst First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst I can think of was the temporary first class section on a couple of Scotrail 380s. 380 interiors are pretty spartan at best and this didn't do much to improve that other than different seat covers and a lot of stickers proclaiming a few seats to be first class.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mogz

Best ever: BR Mk 1 hauled stock.

Best current: Scotrail HST

Worthy of the label: Anything Mk2-5, Pendolino, Voyager, 80x, TPE Novas.
Worst: Anything with an AM on a std class seat!

delt1c

Established Member
Which Mk1's are you refering to, FO, FK,LFK. Suburban non gangwayed stock or the Met Cam Pullman stock there were many to choose from, for me it had to be the FO, especially the area where there was only 6 seats with a bulk headwhich wnen sitting in the 1+1 seats gave a feeling of your own compartment

Best current: Scotrail HST

Worthy of the label: Anything Mk2-5, Pendolino, Voyager, 80x, TPE Novas.
Worst: Anything with an AM on a std class seat!
I'd be inclined to agree with absolutely all of these plus the addition of TPE 185s under 'Worthy of the label'.

Mogz

I'd be inclined to agree with absolutely all of these plus the addition of TPE 185s under 'Worthy of the label'.
And I’d be inclined to agree with that too!

I remember noticing that the 185 2+1 First Class seats were a vast improvement over the First Class offering in the earlier Northern Spirit TPE (in the 158s) which were 2+2 with a tiny bit more leg room and a table lamp.

Trainrave

Best: TFW/ATW Premier Service. Proper carriages, comfy seats and a complimentary food service that's actually worth bothering with.

Worst: Class 185- ambience is ruined by people traipsing through to get to the toilet all the time.
Any idea why the 185 wasn’t designed with the toilet and disabled person section at the other end of the carriage to prevent this issue?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The worst I can think of was the temporary first class section on a couple of Scotrail 380s. 380 interiors are pretty spartan at best and this didn't do much to improve that other than different seat covers and a lot of stickers proclaiming a few seats to be first class.

I would rank that above both LNR and Southern because the seats are nicer.

Any idea why the 185 wasn’t designed with the toilet and disabled person section at the other end of the carriage to prevent this issue?

Lord only knows, because Siemens can definitely do it. The layout of the Class 185 is beyond foolish. What they should have done was the layout used on the Class 321, namely First Class at the vehicle end and some of the centre section and as you say the bog and wheelchair space (plus some Standard seats) at the inner end. This would also have the advantage of a dedicated door, as well as two smaller, more private-feeling compartments rather than one large one.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
Another major layout issue re: positioning of first class is the Class 180. Why is it in an intermediate vehicle, and not in a driving vehicle? This is obviously going to increase the number of people walking through it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Another major layout issue re: positioning of first class is the Class 180. Why is it in an intermediate vehicle, and not in a driving vehicle? This is obviously going to increase the number of people walking through it.

Because they wanted a full vehicle of it, and the end vehicles are only about 2/3 of one. Though they could have gone for the Meridian approach of the end vehicle plus half of the next one.

Journeyman

Established Member
Because they wanted a full vehicle of it, and the end vehicles are only about 2/3 of one. Though they could have gone for the Meridian approach of the end vehicle plus half of the next one.
The end vehicle of a class 180 has seven windows, the intermediate ones have eight. We're talking six seats here.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The end vehicle of a class 180 has seven windows, the intermediate ones have eight. We're talking six seats here.

Another reason I thought of is that back then most (it was a specific proportion though I forget what) of the seats in the end vehicle had to be rear facing (anyone who's used Voyager 1st or has ever been allowed anywhere near the Coach K messroom on a Pendolino will have noticed this). Whereas putting it in another vehicle allows a more normal bay layout.

Fisherman80

Best I've travelled on is a Class 390.
The worst was the 322.
The Class 397 1st class is pretty decent.

Established Member
Best I've travelled on is a Class 390.
The worst was the 322.
The Class 397 1st class is pretty decent.
Apart from the appalling window-seat alignment, which is perfect in Standard. The opposite to the Mk5s.

thatapanydude

Really enjoyed EMR/EMT HST first class section and will miss that a lot. The seats, ride and snacks were brilliant.

EMT Merdian's and LNER MK4 first class was also good though the new 800s was a major disappointment (I would not spend too much extra for FC on those!!).

GtNortherner

For me, the best would either be HST (LNER/EMT) or Mk4 (LNER). Lovely comfortable seats, attentive service, and an extremely pleasant ambience for the journey. For shorter trips, I must also give an honourable mention to the sadly soon to be departed GN 365s - again, they have lovely comfortable seats - definitely nicer than those in Standard (although Standard in a 365 is significantly more comfortable than their GN/TL replacements’ offerings). The worst - without a doubt, the GN 387s. The location at the inner ends of the DMCOs is awkward and means that Standard passengers seated at the outer ends of these coaches have to walk through First to access the toilets... and when they do, they can’t fail to spot that the only discernible difference between Standard and First is that the seats in First have antimacassars!

Last edited:

Harold Hill

On Moderation
Terrific thread, very useful, thank you. My favourite is the Pendolino, just feels so good to be onboard. I also enjoyed the 745 Liverpool St to Norwich which was very different but easy to like.

The worst, hands-down is the GWR 800s, talk about spartan, I still use it but for what I don't get rather than what I do

Neptune

Established Member
Lord only knows, because Siemens can definitely do it. The layout of the Class 185 is beyond foolish. What they should have done was the layout used on the Class 321, namely First Class at the vehicle end and some of the centre section and as you say the bog and wheelchair space (plus some Standard seats) at the inner end. This would also have the advantage of a dedicated door, as well as two smaller, more private-feeling compartments rather than one large one.
I’ve always liked the first class in 185’s (cosy without being cramped is the word I’d use) and especially since refurbishment. But yeah it would have been better to have the toilet/disabled area at the other end of the coach, have a small FC compartment behind the cab and in the forward section of the centre section (with the catering cupboard) and standard in the rear portion of the centre section.

Fisherman80

Apart from the appalling window-seat alignment, which is perfect in Standard. The opposite to the Mk5s.
It was dark when I was travelling so looking out of the window didn't really matter but your right,the window-seat alignment on the 397 is quite poor!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It was dark when I was travelling so looking out of the window didn't really matter but your right,the window-seat alignment on the 397 is quite poor!

It's the age-old problem. TOCs are too cheap to pay for different window layouts on 1st and Standard coaches, so one (or in some cases both) are off alignment.

Grannyjoans

I like the (now declassifield) first class on some of the Northern 319s

I'm not sure if any still have it

KC1

On one of these now, is this the last true, proper first class we will see on a modern commuter train?

Attachments

• E1545D0D-DFD8-45C1-BF2B-4B6DB202115C.jpeg
    E1545D0D-DFD8-45C1-BF2B-4B6DB202115C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 73

Established Member
It looks to me like a 379 operated by Greater Anglia but I'm not 100% sure

Be 100% sure, for that is indeed what it is. Some up thread consider this is the best EMU first class.

Agree the 387s on the Kings Lynn services are poor, and the ride isn’t good either. Can’t see the Queen using them in future for her Christmas Holiday.

KC1

Be 100% sure, for that is indeed what it is. Some up thread consider this is the best EMU first class.

Agree the 387s on the Kings Lynn services are poor, and the ride isn’t good either. Can’t see the Queen using them in future for her Christmas Holiday.
Correct, class 379, I keep referring to them as 387s, apologies.

DDB

EMR have updated their route map. I tried to take a photo at a station and then realised it is on thier website

https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co....te_750px_x_1134px_system_map_may_2021_rgb.pdf

The express intercity and regional routes are separated by colour but the colour scheme and volume means the regional routes visually dominate.

Other changes I've noticed from the last one are

York extension has been removed

Derby has been moved slightly so the Crewe service shows as going through Derby to Nottingham.

A change that is missing is that Attenborough needs to be moved slightly right so it is after the point the regional service from Leicester joins the Derby to Nottingham line. The Leicester to Lincoln now calls additionally at Attenborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.