• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best And Worst Line For Mobile Phone Coverage / Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

In your opinion, what is the Best And Worst Line For Mobile Phone Coverage / Signal.

I am also wondering to know a few things..

1. What is the signal like on the Highland Mainline?
2. I know you can not do Video streaming on East Coast Wi-Fi, But can you stream music? Like as in a Online Radio station, and what would the signal be like on the Highland Mainline for this?,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Internet and mobile phone signal was patchy going up to Inverness last year, and I wasn't using EC's wifi at the time.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
ECML is a bit patchy between Newcastle and York, with no chance of a signal in the Tursdale/Ferryhill area and between Bensham Tunnel and King Edward Bridge Junctions

Established Member
Obviously the best line for phone signal is the Northern line in the Hampstead area :P

Seriously though, the WCML I've usually found to be quite good for phone signal, although the enhanced signal on the Pendolinos and Virgin Voyagers probably helps.

transmanche

Established Member
It's an impossible question to answer as there are too many variables, e.g.;
  • The network you're using
  • The phone model you're using
  • How much battery power you have (some phones drop to 2G only when low on power)
  • Your position in train (next to a window or not)
  • Which side of the train you're on

As for streaming on EC wifi; even if the site isn't blocked, it's a bit anti-social. There's only a limited amount of bandwidth available and by streaming music it means there's less to share for everyone else.

D1009

Established Member
  • How much battery power you have (some phones drop to 2G only when low on power)

As for streaming on EC wifi; even if the site isn't blocked, it's a bit anti-social. There's only a limited amount of bandwidth available and by streaming music it means there's less to share for everyone else.

Last time I travelled by Grand Central, there were no restrictions and I was able to view Youtube videos. Admittedly the train was very quiet, but I don't recall anything advising against use for this purpose. Is their wi-fi superior to East Coast's ?

Captain Chaos

I have always found it nigh on impossible to get signal on my Blackberry without having a window seat on a Class 220/221. Has anyone had similar problems or is it just me?

This was between Reading and Derby. Pulled into Oxford and had no signal either (where I know it works). Very strange. Was fine when I got off though

D1009

Established Member
I have always found it nigh on impossible to get signal on my Blackberry without having a window seat on a Class 220/221. Has anyone had similar problems or is it just me?

This was between Reading and Derby. Pulled into Oxford and had no signal either (where I know it works). Very strange. Was fine when I got off though

Definitely not just you. Don't know why though. I go for an HST whenever there is one available.

mralexn

The "stream" in question is only a 32kb one, so I am sure it will not effect bandwidth much. I would say around an entire 1MB every 2-3Mins,
So thats the same / less than doning some web browsing, (depending on websites of course)
Im not trying to stream FULL HD movies here and steal everyones bandwidth, although I am sure there is a system built in that limits the amount of bandwidth allocated to each coach. Then there is the connection its self, going through Doncaster the other week I done a speed test and got 17.5MB DOWN and 4.8MB UP, Hardly Slow... (I understand this may vary in different areas)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Definitely not just you. Don't know why though. I go for an HST whenever there is one available.

Its something to do with a material they put in the windows, to "disperse" the heat from the windows. or something like that anyway

NathanPrior

Between Woking and Aldershot is absolutley crap for signal, don't even get 1 bar.

Between Didcot Parkway and Swindon is rather bad too, only get signal in patches

Captain Chaos

North Downs route is quite patchy. Especially Wokingham - Blackwater and Chilworth to Dorking.

Reading to Basingstoke isn't good either. Hungerford - Bedwyn I will never get anything at all

SS4

Established Member
Chiltern Mainline from Solihull to Wembley seemed to be frequently signal-less, certainly not enough to listen to football on 5Live

edit: O2

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
I found the MML quite bad when I was travelling down there last week, especially worse when getting to the London end of it. That may have been the Meridians part to blame there though, I;m not sure.

Having done the entire WCML from Manchester to Euston in stages at some point on numerous occasions, I have rarely had a problem at all (and my phone only works on 2G anyway!)
The difference was noticeable though when they had to restart a Pendolino I was on at Coventry meaning shutting down everything....my mobile dropped to virtually nothing when this happened, when it was full in the same place before and after, s I suspect this has a large part to play in it.

Yew

Established Member
I found the MML quite bad when I was travelling down there last week, especially worse when getting to the London end of it. That may have been the Meridians part to blame there though, I;m not sure.

Its not too bad in a HST, although there are a few long tunnels and cuttings

34D

Established Member
I wonder if people ought to add details of the network they're on?

T-mobile, ECML stevenage to york - good signal 99% of the way including the ability to not loose a call through Peascliff Tunnel - though gets lost in Stoke Tunnel.

Between Doncaster and Leeds looses signal around South Kirby

Crossover

Established Member
Its not too bad in a HST, although there are a few long tunnels and cuttings

I was on a Meridian and was losing signal when not in tunnels or cuttings <(

If it is better on a HST that may point the blame a little.....

Do the 222's have the same signal boosters fitted as the Voyagers/Pendos?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder if people ought to add details of the network they're on?

T-mobile, ECML stevenage to york - good signal 99% of the way including the ability to not loose a call through Peascliff Tunnel - though gets lost in Stoke Tunnel.

Between Doncaster and Leeds looses signal around South Kirby

Good idea - I'm on Orange (/T-Mobile) :)

Established Member
Sure the construction/materials used in the Meridians are to blame for the lack of signal.

Lrd

Established Member
I was under the impression that it was the braking system on Voyagers that caused disturbance to phone signals or was this proved wrong?

Also, Winchester to Worting Junction (Basingstoke) is pretty rubbish.

phil8715

The Glasgow Stranraer route is terrible. Can't get coverage between Ayr and Stranraer on the 3 network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Crossover

Established Member
Can we exclude sub-surface Underground lines from this...it is slightly obvious that there will be no signal there! :P

I can imagine a number of areas of Scotland are quite bad to be honest.

Scarborough - York isn't too hot either...but then it goes through some pretty remote countryside so it isn't entirely surprising

Drsatan

Established Member
Signal tends to be fairly patchy on Orange (don't know about other networks) from Clapham Junction to somewhere around Surbiton, and east of Salisbury (before and after entering Salisbury Tunnel)

LE Greys

Established Member
The Aberdeen Road is hopeless. Just time for an "I'm on my way" after leaving from Aberdeen, then goes completely for ages, then comes back briefly around Portlethen, then goes again and the pattern repeats at every station all the way to Arbroath.

Established Member
WCML South on Virgin (the phone not the TOC :lol:), dead spots at Wembley and Bushey, coverage pretty bad between Crewe and Stafford. Earlier today, I lost the signal at Basford Hall Junction and didn't even get a slight one until past Madeley.

Status
Not open for further replies.