• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best and Worst Major Interchange Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I’ll mention Stafford as the easiest “major” interchange near me - everything’s fairly compact, with the ticket office, toilets, refreshments, overbridge and waiting areas all in pretty much a straight line from the station entrance. The five platforms (in use) are easy to get between.

I’ll go with Euston for the worst ... too many people, not enough space, not enough seats, toilets are a trek to the P1 end of the station, looking at the departure boards for more than a minute causes nechache, and even the Underground bit takes the p*ss with the amount of people in the way :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
So let's see if I've got this right about New Street:

To change platforms, use the B end.
To fester for your train, use the seating areas at the A end.

So I get off my train, go up the B end stairs, back down the B end stairs of the platform my next train leaves from, walk along to A end, up the A end stairs and sit and wait. Then back down the A end stairs - potentially walking back to B end if that is where my train leaves from.

Putting it like that, I now realise that New Street is an excellent interchange station.

py_megapixel

Established Member

So I get off my train, go up the B end stairs, back down the B end stairs of the platform my next train leaves from, walk along to A end, up the A end stairs and sit and wait. Then back down the A end stairs - potentially walking back to B end if that is where my train leaves from.

Putting it like that, I now realise that New Street is an excellent interchange station.
There are lounges to sit in at the B end as well

iainbhx

I'm not sure how Smethwick Galton Bridge could be improved other than bigger lifts- the orientation of the two platforms on each level will always mean that some transfers are easier than others. I suppose if they were islands it would be easier, but way more complex to build. My only real issue is that when switching levels it's easy to get disoriented if you're from outside the area and haven't visited before!

I haven't changed there since the plague started because the timings don't work, but when they did, one of the problems was absolutely appalling seating (and not a lot of it) and once you got through the dark labyrinth, there's no waiting room on the Snow Hill bound platform.

Oh yeah and don't go outside the station in the dark.

Dr Hoo

Established Member

A lot of this is wrong.

The B end is basically all escalators and lifts (stairs for Platforms 12, down only, and Platform 1).

The Red Lounge at the B end is fine to wait for any train. Toilets and refreshment outlets immediately to hand.

When your next train is near, descend to relevant platform, usually by escalator or lift (see above).

Very few other stations match this level of convenience and vertical mechanisation.

Can I encourage you to pay a visit and try it some time?

HST274

I don't know why but every time I have used New Street I have aimed to use the B end because whenever I use the A end I end up going through barriers and going the most complicated route possible to reach my train, whereas the B end is one straight corridor/concourse/tiled highway thing.

As for the best and worst Derby seems relatively simple with one bridge going over all the platforms. Also Nottingham is nice if your train is scheduled to arrive at the same time as your connection, but is a couple of minutes early and arrives on platform 5b with your next train just down on 4a (if you're willing to run).

I have an irrational hatred of East Croydon. My brain always struggles to process the angle of the ramps for some reason, and it makes me queasy. Also the "concourse" is so small!

On the other hand, I love Waverley and I'm fine with New Street - although that's probably because I only ever enter/exit either of them and never interchange (Waverley is my local station at university so I know it like the back of my hand!)

Stratford too, I know very well because I once did some work on a potential redesign of the station to improve passageway capacity and ease of interchange. Of course, I occasionally find myself trying to use tunnels that don't yet exist...

Paula hewson

Working in Birmingham in late 80s/early 90s, there was a story that New Street would be downgraded to local services only and a new "Interchange" built at Saltley/Nechells way. With London/Stafford trains coming via Stechford jct and Bristol/South West via Camp Hill line.

Would have made sense. As the "new" New Street was built primarily to have 147 places to grab a coffee with the thoughts of passengers way down the list of importance.

Nottingham59

Established Member
I have found Birmingham New Street (BHM) utterly confusing in the past, and I had the misfortune to interchange there several times yesterday, on a WM Family Day Ranger. Luckily I had read some of this thread the day before, so I knew better what to expect.

From my observations, it's not the layout of New St which is the problem, it's the signage that lets it down. In particular I noted the following:
  • The "interchange bridge" at the B end is not signposted. From platform 12, at least, the sign at the foot of the staircase says "Exit to Hill Street". It's only because I had read this thread that I knew it accessed all other platforms. No wonder it is hardly used.
  • When you get off a train (e.g on 3A), the Departures screens only give platform numbers for your next train (e.g. 9A). Following the directions to 9A, you get dumped into the Blue Lounge, with nothing to tell you where to go next for 9A.
  • You then have to look at the departure screens again to tell you to go to the Green Lounge, but there's nothing to say where that is. The Green Lounge in not visible from the inside Blue Lounge; it is hidden by floor-to-ceiling glass walls in the direct line of sight.
  • It's only because of this thread that I knew I to go out through the Blue Lounge gateline, turn right, go forward 20 yards across the main pedestrian thoroughfare and turn right again to find the Green Lounge gateline. This gateline was not visible until you get right up to it, and was not signposted on the route I took.
  • Once inside the Green Lounge, it's pretty easy to find the stairs down to Platform 9A. Just like any normal station.
  • The map of New Street on the National Rail website is of low resolution. If you try to zoom in to see the detail, it all just gets fuzzy: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stat...-made-easy/birmingham-new-street-station-plan . God knows why they can't put a higher resolution version online, like this one, which is zoomable: https://ontheworldmap.com/uk/city/birmingham/birmingham-new-street-staion-map.jpg
For all I know the signage at New Street might be wonderfully clear for someone coming into the station from outside, but I can say it is dreadful from the point of view of someone trying to interchange there.

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
From my observations, it's not the layout of New St which is the problem, it's the signage that lets it down. In particular I noted the following:
  • The "interchange bridge" at the B end is not signposted. From platform 12, at least, the sign at the foot of the staircase says "Exit to Hill Street". It's only because I had read this thread that I knew it accessed all other platforms. No wonder it is hardly used.
Clearly the signage is still a problem for some people. I will at least note that there have been a lot of tweaks to it over the past five years, so Network Rail are clearly trying.

If you are on Platform 12 'the staircase' sounds as if you were looking at the 'Navigation Street Bridge' at the extreme 'B' end of the platform, which is essentially an emergency fire escape, with exits to Hill Street and Navigation Street. For obvious reasons it is structurally separate from the rest of the station and it is not particularly helpful to describe it in terms of its interchange potential.

Platform 12 has an Up escalator an a lift at the B end to the 'Red Lounge' universal interchange bridge (and two-way escalators, stairs and another lift at the A end, particularly useful if you are connecting to a train from 6A-11A).

Nottingham59

Established Member
Platform 12 has an Up escalator an a lift at the B end to the 'Red Lounge' universal interchange bridge (and two-way escalators, stairs and another lift at the A end, particularly useful if you are connecting to a train from 6A-11A).
Yes, I can see that from the station diagrams. But think what that means: You are suggesting that a passenger getting off a train somewhere in the middle of platform 12 should head off in one direction to get to platform 6B, and in the other direction to get to platform 6A. How in God's name are they supposed to know that? And is that what the signage tells them to do?

xotGD

Established Member
. For obvious reasons it is structurally separate from the rest of the station and it is not particularly helpful to describe it in terms of its interchange potential.
Far from it; this is the best way to get between platforms as you are 100% sure that you won't find a glass screen and two sets of ticket barriers in your way.

xotGD

Established Member
Surely the regular "B end" is better?
In theory, yes. As long as you:

A) Remember that it is the B end that you want
B) Know which end the flight of stairs or escalator you are about to ascend goes to

The Wolves end bridge is fool-proof.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
In theory, yes. As long as you:

A) Remember that it is the B end that you want
B) Know which end the flight of stairs or escalator you are about to ascend goes to

The Wolves end bridge is fool-proof.
Unless you need to use an escalator or lift, are with heavy luggage, need the toilet, are hungry or thirsty, would prefer not to have to wait on a noisy, fume-logged platform with minimal seating, don't mind having to retrace your steps if there's a platform change...

Yes, I can see that from the station diagrams. But think what that means: You are suggesting that a passenger getting off a train somewhere in the middle of platform 12 should head off in one direction to get to platform 6B, and in the other direction to get to platform 6A. How in God's name are they supposed to know that? And is that what the signage tells them to do?
I would always suggest to a 'novice' interchanging passenger that the 'B'/Red Lounge bridge be used. In my experience, typically from either Sheffield or Manchester with CrossCountry, the guards will advise this over the public address system as the train approaches Birmingham.

Your lengthy post suggested that you had used New Street quite a lot and could usefully be given a few tips on possible alternatives.

Most of the posts on this thread understandably focus on interchange issues but as I understand it less than a sixth of users of New Street are interchanging. The large majority exiting to or entering from the city centre (or, indeed, interchangers consciously going outside the barriers to pop to Tesco or something) can obviously use the 'A' end(s) if they want, without detriment. Every one who does so helps to free up the 'B' bridge for the 'hard core' interchangers.

Last edited:

Sheddyone

I have found Birmingham New Street (BHM) utterly confusing in the past, and I had the misfortune to interchange there several times yesterday, on a WM Family Day Ranger. Luckily I had read some of this thread the day before, so I knew better what to expect.

• When you get off a train (e.g on 3A), the Departures screens only give platform numbers for your next train (e.g. 9A). Following the directions to 9A, you get dumped into the Blue Lounge, with nothing to tell you where to go next for 9A.
  • You then have to look at the departure screens again to tell you to go to the Green Lounge, but there's nothing to say where that is. The Green Lounge in not visible from the inside Blue Lounge; it is hidden by floor-to-ceiling glass walls in the direct line of sight.
  • It's only because of this thread that I knew I to go out through the Blue Lounge gateline, turn right, go forward 20 yards across the main pedestrian thoroughfare and turn right again to find the Green Lounge gateline. This gateline was not visible until you get right up to it, and was not signposted on the route I took.
  • Once inside the Green Lounge, it's pretty easy to find the stairs down to Platform 9A. Just like any normal station.
  • The map of New Street on the National Rail website is of low resolution. If you try to zoom in to see the detail, it all just gets fuzzy: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stat...-made-easy/birmingham-new-street-station-plan . God knows why they can't put a higher resolution version online, like this one, which is zoomable: https://ontheworldmap.com/uk/city/birmingham/birmingham-new-street-staion-map.jpg
For all I know the signage at New Street might be wonderfully clear for someone coming into the station from outside, but I can say it is dreadful from the point of view of someone trying to interchange there.
A lot of comments about New Street seem to be from people just using their instinct and knowledge of the previous station to find their way around. To answer some of these points and some inaccuracies that have popped up in the thread:

• The main concourse is open plan to allow through pedestrian traffic from the existing entrances and the new additional entrances on Hill Street, Stephenson Street and Station Street to cross the station without access to the platforms, hence the need for separate gate lines for groups of platforms at the A/London end. The gaps in between allow non travellers to walk through the station.
  • The main interchange bridge at the B/Wolverhampton end is not explicitly signed as the main bridge, but is well signposted - signs on every platform will point you in this direction to all other platforms (e.g from platform 2 is will say something like "<- Platform 1, platforms 3-12" and will point towards the main bridge behind the barrier line. If you don't fancy walking to the B end, just exit the gate line, walk the few yards to the gate line of your new platform and either take a seat or make your way to the platform. I've never had a ticket check problem exiting/entering. Just explain you are changing platforms. Takes a couple of seconds.
  • The main interchange area has well signposted lifts and escalators from all platforms.
  • The signs for the different lounges seem to cause confusion, and I accept this is a valid criticism. Just ignore them. They are just the seating areas in each area behind the gate line, including the main bridge.
  • The "secret" footbridge is at the extreme B end and was built in the 90s for fire safety reasons following the Kings Cross fire. It is a stairs only bridge. When built it could only access platforms 2-11 and had an exit onto Navigation St which was not open at all times. During the New St rebuilding it was extended to serve all platforms and also exit at Hill St.

There's a good map in the skyscrapercity New St rebuilding forum,

Post 12022 - expand the post.

Apologies if I've got anything wrong myself.

Sheds.

matacaster

On Moderation
Mea culpa. I havent been there in the morning.
Think it's actually 'no cuppa' in this case :D

Not as busy with interchanges as some mentioned, but Mirfield isn't great in poor weather if changing from the island to platform 3. Windswept and unstaffed.

Edit: missed the bit about minimum 4 platforms, apologies.
Also, ticket machine only on one platform I think, so if you need to use it you have a painful walk too and fro.

nimbus21

Advertised services involving a 16 minute walk in the rain between Bradford Interchange and Bradford Forster Square are not great. You also won't see a monitor at either station telling you about the services at the other one that your meant to connect with.

Neptune

Established Member
Advertised services involving a 16 minute walk in the rain between Bradford Interchange and Bradford Forster Square are not great. You also won't see a monitor at either station telling you about the services at the other one that your meant to connect with.
Why would they?

Why would you need to know which platform your train is on until you get there as with any station you arrive at. There’s only 7 terminal platforms between the 2 of them so they’re not exactly difficult stations to navigate once you’re there.

Does Birmingham New Street show Moor Street or Snow Hill’s services, or Glasgow Queen Street show Glasgow Central’s?

BayPaul

Established Member
Why would they?

Why would you need to know which platform your train is on until you get there as with any station you arrive at. There’s only 7 terminal platforms between the 2 of them so they’re not exactly difficult stations to navigate once you’re there.

Does Birmingham New Street show Moor Street or Snow Hill’s services, or Glasgow Queen Street show Glasgow Central’s?
But it would be very useful to know whether your connection is delayed or cancelled, or even if an earlier train has been delayed, so you could catch it if you walk fast.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think one of my favourites is Mancherster Piccadilly.

Yes, I know that 13/14 aren't ideal, but it's got good cover, there are plenty of shops and facilities, including somewhere to get a cup of tea near 13/14. The platform end footbridge also makes connections comparatively easy.

If I need to do a change in Manchester, I often find myself gravitating towards it.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation

Off topic warning, but in the early days of the internet, BA used to show connections via London which actually meant changing from Heathrow to Gatwick. There was a small-print below informing that the fare did not include the transfer!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think one of my favourites is Mancherster Piccadilly.

Yes, I know that 13/14 aren't ideal, but it's got good cover, there are plenty of shops and facilities, including somewhere to get a cup of tea near 13/14. The platform end footbridge also makes connections comparatively easy.

If I need to do a change in Manchester, I often find myself gravitating towards it.

13/14 is nasty but I would agree that other than that (and the inadequate cleaning of the bird netting over food premises, which sadly Manchester City Council's food hygiene department did nothing about when I reported it) it is an excellent station, one of the best in the country.

AndyMike

A lot of this is wrong.

The B end is basically all escalators and lifts (stairs for Platforms 12, down only, and Platform 1).

The Red Lounge at the B end is fine to wait for any train. Toilets and refreshment outlets immediately to hand.

When your next train is near, descend to relevant platform, usually by escalator or lift (see above).

Very few other stations match this level of convenience and vertical mechanisation.

Can I encourage you to pay a visit and try it some time?
If it’s actually an excellent interchange, why do so many regular rail travellers - myself included - find it a confusing mess? Placing the blame on the passengers really isn’t a good enough explanation.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
If it’s actually an excellent interchange, why do so many regular rail travellers - myself included - find it a confusing mess? Placing the blame on the passengers really isn’t a good enough explanation.

Well - it was good enough on another thread here a while back to blame passengers who couldn't find their way round the "improved" London Bridge...!

Class800

Established Member
I like the new London Bridge, found the old one much harder to navigate. My worst interchange experience was at Chester, but largely due to atrocious communication and poor staff attitude leading to missed connection and ill feeling

Grumbler

I’ll mention Stafford as the easiest “major” interchange near me - everything’s fairly compact, with the ticket office, toilets, refreshments, overbridge and waiting areas all in pretty much a straight line from the station entrance. The five platforms (in use) are easy to get between.

I’ll go with Euston for the worst ... too many people, not enough space, not enough seats, toilets are a trek to the P1 end of the station, looking at the departure boards for more than a minute causes nechache, and even the Underground bit takes the p*ss with the amount of people in the way :lol:
A few years ago I had to change at Stratford to get from the GE platforms to the HS1 part. This involves using the DLR, and trying to find the correct one out of the six DLR platforms was a nightmare, paricularly as I had to lug a suitcase up and down escalators.

Class800

Established Member
Stratford (London) is a good shout for an awkward one beyond the usual suspects. The layout is confusing at best of times, and currently - or last time I was there which was after 19 July 2021 - there were two completely different sets of passenger flow routes for peak and off-peak! In some cases, it was turn left in peak or turn right in off peak to get to the same location.

Status
Not open for further replies.