• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best bus rides in Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
So I'm staying at my parents in Manchester for a week and I have a Student AnyBus week ticket (£14.00). Can anyone recommend any routes, and possibly why they think they're noteworthy.

As a side note I'm currently based next to Daisy Nook Country Park, on Newmarket Road.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
With its poorly developed rail network, Manchester has some nice long-distance rural-ish services taking you well out into the sticks. While the place itself is hardly a palace, a ride out to somewhere like Stalybridge is really quite scenic, being in the foothills of the Pennines.

May also be worth a ride on Oxford Road just to see the huge level of demand there!

Established Member
The 61 from Glossop to New Mills is very good. Get a 199 between the Airport and Stockport too for non stop high speed Scania thrash!

You could also head out to Altrincham and get one of Warrington's Own Buses' Cheshire Cat E200MMCs to Lymm, though that might just be my local bias coming out:D Vantage is a bit different if you're not used to guided busways, though Leigh's a dump!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd check Glossop is within the ticket area - it's not technically in GM though the rail tickets do have validity out there. It may be but I'm not 100% sure.

You could certainly get as far as Dinting though.

Dentonian

Established Member
The 61 from Glossop to New Mills is very good. Get a 199 between the Airport and Stockport too for non stop high speed Scania thrash!

You could also head out to Altrincham and get one of Warrington's Own Buses' Cheshire Cat E200MMCs to Lymm, though that might just be my local bias coming out:D Vantage is a bit different if you're not used to guided busways, though Leigh's a dump!

Surely, the AnyBus ticket isn't valid in High Peak (Glossop & New Mills) or Cheshire (Lymm), and if toommm is based between Ashton and Droylsden, I'm not sure Leigh can be classed as a "dump". Generally, for anyone visiting Leigh, the best thing is to catch the V1 one way and the 34 the other way - providing you can get an MMC on the latter as they are easily SGM's most comfortable buses. Also, the 34 runs through Worsley, the only truly "posh" bit of GM.

If you do use the 199 (or even the 330 which starts in Ashton) between the Airport and Stockport, you won't get much of a "thrash" during rush hour and in GM, rush hour starts soon after 1400hrs. Indeed, always allow plenty of slack in your schedules as many routes suffer regular congestion even off-peak. Crossing the city has got much worse since 2CC opened, I've noticed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The V1 is interesting in being a guided busway, but it's not got anything like the country branch line feel of the Cambridgeshire one which is probably the cream of the crop so far as a pleasant ride on one goes. It has more the feel of a generic interurban route of some kind really.

radamfi

Established Member
Surely, the AnyBus ticket isn't valid in High Peak (Glossop & New Mills) or Cheshire (Lymm), and if toommm is based between Ashton and Droylsden, I'm not sure Leigh can be classed as a "dump". Generally, for anyone visiting Leigh, the best thing is to catch the V1 one way and the 34 the other way - providing you can get an MMC on the latter as they are easily SGM's most comfortable buses. Also, the 34 runs through Worsley, the only truly "posh" bit of GM.

If you do use the 199 (or even the 330 which starts in Ashton) between the Airport and Stockport, you won't get much of a "thrash" during rush hour and in GM, rush hour starts soon after 1400hrs. Indeed, always allow plenty of slack in your schedules as many routes suffer regular congestion even off-peak. Crossing the city has got much worse since 2CC opened, I've noticed.

Map shows validity outside GM to Bacup, Edenfield, Belmont, Glazebrook, Lymm, Wilmslow, Poynton, Middlewood, New Mills, Hayfield and Glossop.

http://www.systemonetravelcards.co.uk/public/images//20965_System One Travelcard Guide Jan 2018.pdf

Isn't Hale Barns at least as "posh" as Worsley? :)

sheff1

Established Member
Assuming you mean Greater Manchester, as opposed to the City, then Route 350 from Greenfield to Oldham (in that direction) should be high on any list. Traditional old Saddleworth scenery and then the view from the top of a double decker from the Scouthead area towards Manchester city centre is a highlight.

_toommm_

Established Member

I'm in the nice bit of Ashton - I don't even know if it's technically Ashton but my area has the nice houses I promise :D

Dentonian

Established Member
The V1 is interesting in being a guided busway, but it's not got anything like the country branch line feel of the Cambridgeshire one which is probably the cream of the crop so far as a pleasant ride on one goes. It has more the feel of a generic interurban route of some kind really.
I would tend to disagree with the open spaces along side the bus way itself. Of course like anywhere, the view is only enjoy able with decent weather!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

radamfi

Established Member
The X58 is probably the highest bus route in GM. However you can only go as far as Blackstone Edge unless you don't mind paying extra. There is a pub on the top of the hill if you like that sort of thing, so you could wait for the bus back there.

gnolife

Established Member
Use a Wayfarer ticket instead, costs more but has a bigger area, then catch routes like 58 Macclesfield-Buxton over the Cat & Fiddle, 61 Buxton-Glossop, or the TP Buxton-Manchester if you time that right.
GM Wayfarer map
https://assets.ctfassets.net/nv7y93...1d0e2f57548c3154c80cd228/Wayfarer-bus-map.pdf
I get the impression that he's doing this incidentally on a weekly bus ticket that he holds already...
My recommendations are doing the 407 Oldham - Denshaw, 356 Denshaw - Uppermill, the Commercial and the 353/354 to Stalybridge. Also the TA02 from Bury to Bromley Cross is well worth the awkwardness of the certain days only operation
You can quite often get double deckers on the 358 from Stockport to Hayfield, which is really scenic between Offerton Green and Hayfield

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Assuming you mean Greater Manchester, as opposed to the City, then Route 350 from Greenfield to Oldham (in that direction) should be high on any list. Traditional old Saddleworth scenery and then the view from the top of a double decker from the Scouthead area towards Manchester city centre is a highlight.
Maybe combine that with the Huddersfield 184 as far as the last stop in GM at Standedge Cutting - the grind up the hill from Diggle is quite fun. Not sure how long you'd have to wait for the return but it's a pleasant downhill walk back to Diggle or Uppermill if the weather's nice.

gnolife

Established Member
Maybe combine that with the Huddersfield 184 as far as the last stop in GM at Standedge Cutting - the grind up the hill from Diggle is quite fun. Not sure how long you'd have to wait for the return but it's a pleasant downhill walk back to Diggle or Uppermill if the weather's nice.
It's a 9 minute connection at Marsden most of the time

Ayman Ilham

Bit late on this one, but next time you're in Manchester with a SystemOne AnyBus ticket, I recommend the RedExpress X41 to Ramsbottom thanks to the recent (possibly controversial) changes to the route! Comfy leather coach seats in a 2+1 layout and you get the whole motorway section (not that there's much of it left now :lol: still good enough though) of the route too all within the GM boundary! Also, the Stagecoach X50 is a route I always like riding, the fast link to Trafford Centre (which is even better with the new MMC's) showing you great views of the city (especially Deansgate, Salford Quays and MUFC) on the way there and back! Of course, the V1 (as discussed by others above) is my favourite route within GM without a doubt! Luxury buses that never fail to make me feel good (sleek buses, comfy seats, tables, luxury wood effect, great lighting, panoramic windows, etc.) and on a fairly fast route too! Once you're across the bridge to Salford, it runs direct on the A580 dual carriageway followed by a relaxing cruise down the full guided busway route! Definitely better than the V2, which only uses half of the busway, as well as the fact that Leigh is a bigger and better town with an actual bus station, a shopping centre (although not very big) and plenty of retail parks (massive Tesco nearby and a Lidl conveniently located on the stop just before the bus station if you wanna buy food) to keep you busy, not much in Atherton! 184 to Huddersfield (with a First ticket instead of AnyBus, you can actually ride the full route) is another one of my favourites, taking you through some breathtaking Pennine scenery beyond Oldham as mentioned in the above posts! You can also ride the Cityzap, which runs almost nonstop to Leeds, as far as Chadderton! Just press the stop button as soon as it departs Piccadilly Gardens and the next stop is over there ;)

Established Member
Bit late on this one, but next time you're in Manchester with a SystemOne AnyBus ticket, I recommend the RedExpress X41 to Ramsbottom thanks to the recent (possibly controversial) changes to the route! Comfy leather coach seats in a 2+1 layout and you get the whole motorway section (not that there's much of it left now :lol: ) of the route too all within the GM boundary! Also, the Stagecoach X50 is a route I always like riding, the fast link to Trafford Centre (which is even better with the new MMC's) showing you great views of the city (especially Deansgate, Salford Quays and MUFC) on the way there and back! Of course, the V1 (as discussed by others above) is my favourite route within GM without a doubt! Luxury buses that never fail to make me feel good (sleek buses, comfy seats, tables, luxury wood effect, great lighting, panoramic windows, etc.) and on a fairly fast route too! Once you're across the bridge to Salford, it runs direct on the A580 dual carriageway followed by a relaxing cruise down the full guided busway route! Definitely better than the V2, which only uses half of the busway, as well as the fact that Leigh is a bigger and better town with an actual bus station, a shopping centre (although not very big) and plenty of retail parks (massive Tesco nearby and a Lidl conveniently located on the stop just before the bus station if you wanna buy food) to keep you busy, not much in Atherton! 184 to Huddersfield (with a First ticket instead of AnyBus, you can actually ride the full route) is another one of my favourites, taking you through some breathtaking Pennine scenery beyond Oldham as mentioned above! You can also ride the Cityzap, which runs almost nonstop to Leeds, as far as Chadderton! Just press the stop button as soon as it departs Piccadilly Gardens and the next stop is over there ;)
NO!

I did that and got taken to Leeds!:D:D

_toommm_

Established Member
Bit late on this one, but next time you're in Manchester with a SystemOne AnyBus ticket, I recommend the RedExpress X41 to Ramsbottom thanks to the recent (possibly controversial) changes to the route! Comfy leather coach seats in a 2+1 layout and you get the whole motorway section (not that there's much of it left now :lol: still good enough though) of the route too all within the GM boundary! Also, the Stagecoach X50 is a route I always like riding, the fast link to Trafford Centre (which is even better with the new MMC's) showing you great views of the city (especially Deansgate, Salford Quays and MUFC) on the way there and back! Of course, the V1 (as discussed by others above) is my favourite route within GM without a doubt! Luxury buses that never fail to make me feel good (sleek buses, comfy seats, tables, luxury wood effect, great lighting, panoramic windows, etc.) and on a fairly fast route too! Once you're across the bridge to Salford, it runs direct on the A580 dual carriageway followed by a relaxing cruise down the full guided busway route! Definitely better than the V2, which only uses half of the busway, as well as the fact that Leigh is a bigger and better town with an actual bus station, a shopping centre (although not very big) and plenty of retail parks (massive Tesco nearby and a Lidl conveniently located on the stop just before the bus station if you wanna buy food) to keep you busy, not much in Atherton! 184 to Huddersfield (with a First ticket instead of AnyBus, you can actually ride the full route) is another one of my favourites, taking you through some breathtaking Pennine scenery beyond Oldham as mentioned in the above posts! You can also ride the Cityzap, which runs almost nonstop to Leeds, as far as Chadderton! Just press the stop button as soon as it departs Piccadilly Gardens and the next stop is over there ;)

Still in Manchester for a couple days so will try your suggestion!

_toommm_

Established Member
Big thank you to all that’s replied some really great suggestions, especially Ianno’s which were both incredibly pretty routes.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Big thank you to all that’s replied some really great suggestions, especially Ianno’s which were both incredibly pretty routes.

Awwww, shucks. You're very welcome. Must revisit the 480 myself sometime soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.