• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best chance of passing online tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Good afternoon,

A few months ago I applied for a job at FGW and had to do the online tests but unfortunately did not get a high enough score.

How can I get the best chance of succeeding next time?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Research the job role/company. Depends on the questions asked really.

Bluebri

Good afternoon,

A few months ago I applied for a job at FGW and had to do the online tests but unfortunately did not get a high enough score.

Many thanks in advance

The only thing I can suggest to practise for these tests is to play some brain games. It's about exercising your brain and conditioning it to identify things quickly. Can't think of anything specific in comparison, try Brain Training and Tetris.

The best advice I can give, is to keep using the practise on the test itself and just keep doing it until you are ready. You are able to keep going through the practise as much as you want.

Sorry, can't think of anything else to help really.

Fred Dinenage

I think using an iPad too might provide a very slight increase in reaction time instead of a mouse if it's identifying the corresponding letter / number sequence type of test. Easier to hover a finger over a touchscreen and press than use a mouse but it's finding the match in the first place...

rlt1986

Good afternoon,

Many thanks in advance

what type of tests were they? numerical and verbal reasoning exams or job specific?

if numerical or verbal, i suggest (as mentioned in earlier posts) trying brain games, mental maths questions and just general reading.

also check out SHL or google numerical/verbal tests, there should be loads of pages out there where you can practice.

hope this helps

TheWalrus

Established Member
They are job specific questions. I did one for FGW yesterday but yet again did not pass.

Is there any way i could maybe get relevant experience or whatever I need to get a railway job? The people currently working on the railway must have got in somehow.

Lrd

Established Member
Is there any way i could maybe get relevant experience or whatever I need to get a railway job? The people currently working on the railway must have got in somehow.
Depends on the job you want, most job roles need you to have customer service skills, problem solving skills, good timekeeping as well as a lot more. The only way to get this experience is to get a job and progress onwards, you can't just 'learn' skills, you need to be able to use them as well and also demonstrate that you are good at them.

rlt1986

They are job specific questions. I did one for FGW yesterday but yet again did not pass.

What type of job?

TheWalrus

Established Member
I am currently in a job involving a lot of customer service skills and problem solving. However it looks like my experiences may not be enough.

It was for a conductor role.

Status
Not open for further replies.