• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best ferry/ship memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesr

There are so many ferry routes over here in Hong Kong, many very frequent, but equally several others which run just once or twice a day. The more rural ones can often be run by boats which don’t always feel that they belong in the current century. I sat last night, after dark, with my legs hanging off the front of the top deck, on the ferry from Sok Kwu Wan on Lamma Island to Aberdeen - all felt right with the world.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Got to be sailing into New York on a cold December Morning with the sun just appearing over the horizon on the QE2.

Five day crossing was quite an experience but she was built as an Ocean Liner and not a Cruise Ship and could handle everything the Atlantic Ocean could throw at her.

Having said that my Wife (at the time) and Son were ensconced in the Cabin feeling queasy, whilst my Daughter and I were devouring delicious steaks in the Caronia Restaurant for a fair portion of the journey.

Cognac and Cigar at the table to round it off as well - those were the days !!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I have an amusing memory...took a ferry from Bari (Italy) to Durres (Albania) and it appeared incapable of turning left. When it needed to do so, it did a complete loop to the right.

Is Albania a Tory-voting nation? :D

The ferry from Totnes to Dartmouth is pleasant when the Devon weather behaves itself.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Best one for me would be doing the Kilchoan <-> Tobermory crossing while on my summer hols in the former a good few years ago. The closest shop beyond that of a corner/village shop was in the latter, so we got rather well acquainted with the Loch class ferry that was in charge of the route during the summer way back when: the Loch Linnhe. Sturdy, reliable and unwavering; weather behaved itself on almost every crossing too. In terms of efficiency, the Corran ferry between Nether Lochaber & Ardgour (which we used on our way to/from Kilchoan) was well up there, especially considering how busy it was both times. Not surprising, considering it's a lifeline service.

Lastly, have had quite a few short, if unremarkable crossings on the Largs - Cumbrae Slip service. One abiding memory from those is the bus service on the Cumbrae side: ruddy busy in the high summer! And the longest crossing I've yet done is the erstwhile Troon <-> Larne service on the HSC Express en-route to/from Western Ireland on another of our summer holidays. Shows how little travelling I've actually by ferry overall if that's my longest crossing lol

scotrail158713

Established Member
For me it’s probably going to Brodick on the Isle of Arran as a young child. During the crossing the Coastguard were doing a practice drill winching someone out of the sea into their helicopter. It’s always stuck in my mind as something I excitedly told my grandparents about when we got back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.