• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best fish & chips near a station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Which stations have the best traditional fish & chips takeaway a short stroll from the station, meaning that you can eat your still hot fish & chips out of the bag whilst sitting on the platform waiting for your train?

NOTE : Kebab/Pizza/Burger establishments not allowed!

To start you off:

Llandudno Junction: Enoch’s
Conwy: Archway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Not near the station, but The Fryery in Carlisle (at the northern end of the pedestrian zone on Scotch Street) is excellent.
Very welcoming staff, upstairs dining room.
Worth the 15 minute walk from the station between trains.

jfowkes

Carrington's near Nottingham Station (on Carrington Street, logically enough) are good, but then I'm a firm believer that the best fish and chips are the ones that you're in middle of eating so I might not be the best judge.

Last edited:

FQTV

Trencher’s Whitby.

And almost any other with every further step taken from the station, particularly honourably including Mr. Chips on Church Street.

However, even having sampled Gordon Ramsay’s Cod and Chips at his Heddon Street Kitchen back to back with Trencher’s (well, one Saturday to the next), Trencher’s remains the one to beat IMHO.

Revaulx

The best fish & chips I've had in London* was from Olley's just down the road from Herne Hill Station.

* Yes I know that's not saying much.

SteveM70

Established Member
There’s a van serving fish and chips in the car park of the Dusty Miller in Mytholmroyd so within a minute’s walk of the station. Goes by the slightly cumbersome name of Plenty Of Fish And Chips. But they’re absolutely brilliant. And still open in lockdown

backontrack

Established Member
While we're here, there's an ongoing thread in the TP&R section about pubs and eateries.

If any of you good folk know of any good places to eat or drink near stations that aren't chippies, why not post them in that thread for other users? Thanks :)

-----

In Maryport, the Cross Quays is half a mile away (walk down Station Street to the main road – AKA Curzon Street – then turn right; then turn left into Senhouse Street and walk down it all the way to the river mouth before the bridge, and then it's a few yards to the right down King Street). It's popular, so there might be a bit of a wait – not advised if you've a very tight connection – but my word is it good.

trainmania100

Established Member
The Swan fish and chips at Pevensey and Westham railway station. Absolutely delicious.
Trawlers near Seaford is also very good, very nice saveloys

youngiecj

I’ve not been for a while but there used to be an excellent and cheap chippy next to Grimsby Town station.

youngiecj

Carrington's near Nottingham Station (on Carrington Street, logically enough) are good, but then I'm a firm believer that the best fish and chips are the ones that you're in middle of eating so I might not be the best judge.
I Can thoroughly recommend the battered halloumi from there!

ASharpe

Could we have a sub category for those frying in beef dripping?

I'm affraid I can't recommend any near any stations but would like a reference for future travels.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
The chippy at Walsden was superb. It's now gone.

The wallgate chippy at Wigan is decent.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Pembroke Dock laws street chip shop 2 mins from station

Tenby park road fish and chips

Swansea cafe break

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Denby Dale Fisheries, 6mins walk from the station.
Mirfield has a few options, Alan's next to the Tesco is pretty good. Wi'Bits further down the high street is a local chain and is okay but nothing special. I'm sure there was another decent place in the village centre but can't remember it's name, and Google is no help!

Dewsbury has a few decent chippies too, but some of them also offer items forbidden by the OP. I'd recommend a Masala Fish butty to the more adventurous!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Scoffs in Paignton. Their chips are lightly battered.
Also Drakes Plaice right between the two St Budeaux stations. Phone you're order through leaving Gunnislake and collect them at Victoria Road whilst the driver puts the staff away!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Scoffs in Paignton. Their chips are lightly battered.

I thought that was a Midlands thing ("orange chips")? Best avoided (Wetherspoons chips have the same thing); you can't improve on slicing potatoes and chucking them in the fat. If I wanted potato croquettes I'd order them.

Chippies tend to be good in fishing and coastal towns.

Parallel

Established Member
Bradford on Avon has a fish and chip shop (Station Place) about a 30 second walk from the station. Haven't been in for years but it smells good from the outside.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I thought that was a Midlands thing ("orange chips")? Best avoided (Wetherspoons chips have the same thing); you can't improve on slicing potatoes and chucking them in the fat. If I wanted potato croquettes I'd order them.

Chippies tend to be good in fishing and coastal towns.
They're nothing like Wetherspoons chips. There's one just down the road from Scoffs if you wish to compare and contrast the next time you're in Devon
:D

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I love Blue Lagoon next to Glasgow Central - though I have the traditional Scottish battered haggis instead of fish 8-)

satisnek

Station Fish Bar, Derby

The Chip Shop, Willington

I'm currently missing those places sorely, because I am of course confined to Kidderminster, but at least Captain Cod's has reopened!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Never tried it but there looks to be a decent one near tomorden, Calder valley.

If ever you are in Durham, you need to walk into the city centre. Bells chippy in the market place is the best.
Plenty good pubs, the station hotel and the micro brewery, at the bottom of the station approach under the viaduct, if you like rock music, The Angel, up the steep hill next to the bus station then turn left, and the John Duck on Claypath opposite the student castle. A bit further up is the Big Jug, you might find me DJing in there on some Saturday nights, classic 70s 80s and 90s rock, pop and karaoke to boot....

fgwrich

Established Member
Par has the rather excellent Vals Place* about 5 minutes walk from the station, while Falmouth Town is about 5 minutes walk from Rick Steins Fish.

As for orange chips, there's a fish and chip shop in Dawlish too. I'll always remember it well though from a coach party who'd just arrived from Coventry, and the first thing they asked in the chip shop was for some "Orange Chiiiiiiiips".

(no connection to a lovely bit of squirrel for those of you who get that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.