• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best fish & chips near a station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Mother Hubbard’s do offer take away, just go up to the counter or a member of staff and ask ;)

Alternatively Deans chippy on Northway, out of station cross road to Stephen Joseph Theatre and keep going passed the police station and the Justice centre, on your left after Jewsons and opposite the BT Openreach depot. 5 min walk from the station. if you ike Chinese food Golden Valley, take the left turn at the traffic lights just before the police station and its the second row of terraces on your left

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The best fish & chips I've had in London* was from Olley's just down the road from Herne Hill Station.

* Yes I know that's not saying much.

Yes - Olley's are a great chippy. (I don't eat the fish, being a vegetarian; but I've had a great evening meal out there a few times with a fish-eating friend [being a tolerant veggie], myself having a non-flesh-containing pie.) Fine old-fashioned puddings too! But the beer menu had gone a bit downhill when I was last there.

I've heard rumours that it's still open for takeaways during the current situation; I might cycle down there for my exercise one day in the hope the rumours are true...

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I have been to a great place in Glasgow, it’s essentially a tarpaulin attached to the side of a railway viaduct at Saltmarket. The seats, tables and the bar is made out of pallets and the food is served on a roof slate but the food is beautiful! Called the Fish Plaice, it’s a short walk away from Merchant City. from the closed Glasgow Cross station (the next stop after Argyle Street) turn right onto saltmarket so the clock tower is behind you, you’ll see the railway bridge (not the railway bridge you see in front of you when the clock tower is to your left, it’s the wrong one!) head towards that then immediately left under the railway bridge, if you are lucky there might be an ECS working running while you eat...

Sheddyone

Captain Cod's at Kidderminster. Just across the road from the stations. Absolutely gorgeous grub from there. Great chippy.

Captain Cod is v good, agreed. The one just down from the stations - next to Weavers Real Ale Bar - used to be even better, but it may have changed hands since I last used it.

Can't believe I'm pining for some chips at 09.30!

Good to see the proper spelling of chippy too.

Sheds.

Sheddyone

I thought that was a Midlands thing ("orange chips")? Best avoided (Wetherspoons chips have the same thing); you can't improve on slicing potatoes and chucking them in the fat. If I wanted potato croquettes I'd order them.

Chippies tend to be good in fishing and coastal towns.

The Midlands' orange chip shops can be quite variable, but when the chips are dusted sparingly and cooked properly they are fantastic. Even better when served with bits/scraps/insert your own term here. They seem to be dying out as the kebab/chicken shops replace trad chippies. Same with the Cypriot chippies that we used to have a lot of. Most have gone now.

Very unfair to compare the good ones to the dried, tasteless and measly offering from 'Spoons.

Back on topic, they are often v good on the coast. A great one is on the harbour front at Brixham (get the 12 bus from Paignton stn) but I can't remember which one it was, as there are three all next to each other.

Sheds.

rangersac

Oban Fish and Chips in Oban. For scallops or mussels though the Oban Seafood Hut is the go.

Beebman

The best chippy I visited last year was Fritz and Chips in Weymouth, however it's rather nearer the Quay station than the Town one and it might be a tad difficult getting a train to the former...

jonesy3001

Established Member
Best chippy in Ashton under lyne was the wooden spoon that was situated in the bus station, then was knocked down for the arcades, nearest one is the gold medal in the ladysmith shopping centre.

Last edited:

Beebman

The Blue Lagoon will be on the telly tomorrow evening in the first episode of the new series of 'Inside Central Station' on BBC Scotland at 21:00:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j05d

Meanwhile, the Blue Lagoon chip shop serves hundreds of station passengers every day, but it is a race against the clock to get the refurbished shop open in time for rush hour.

Iskra

Established Member
Oban Fish and Chips in Oban. For scallops or mussels though the Oban Seafood Hut is the go.

It was alright when I went there, but nothing special. Not in the Premier League.

Papa's on the pier at Cleethorpes is amazing.

I also add to the recommendations of the one mentioned at Whitby.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
In Bradford you have to go a couple of miles out of the city to find a proper Yorkshire chip shop serving (skinless) haddock fried in beef dripping. Beautiful. My favourites are Highgate fisheries at Horton Bank Top (A647) and Salty's by the roundabout at the top of St Enoch's Road. There is also one on the main Cleckheaton road just north of Low Moor station. Most of the inner-city takeaways use vegetable oil. I remember when there was a little chip shop called Avenue Fisheries where the Mumtaz now is; it was run by my next door neighbour. But I went off it a little when he bought a crinkly chip cutter in the late 1960s.

I love steak and kidney puddings so in Lancashire I always look for Hollands - and in the midlands Pukka.

The worst cities for chip shops are Liverpool and London where you will find none of the above.

There's a little chippy near the Arndale centre in Manchester selling Holland's puddings, not far from Victoria, and also near a number of excellent real ale pubs. Manchester is a good place to change trains.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Could we have a sub category for those frying in beef dripping?

Ernie Beckett's in the Market Place in Cleethorpes for the win on both counts - dripping and good fish and chips.

Non-beef dripping is the Ocean Fish Bar on St Peter's Avene, Cleethorpes, about a 7 minute stroll from the station, two minutes on from Ernie Beckett.

Papa's on the pier at Cleethorpes is amazing.

That's a really contentious subject in Grimsby and Cleethorpes - some people rave, others really dislike. My favourite is Steels CornerHouse Restaurant, opposite Ernie Beckett's. They don't do takeaway, though. Quite often there's a queue, especially in the summer and on match days. You can book though.

Iskra

Established Member
Ernie Beckett's in the Market Place in Cleethorpes for the win on both counts - dripping and good fish and chips.

Non-beef dripping is the Ocean Fish Bar on St Peter's Avene, Cleethorpes, about a 7 minute stroll from the station, two minutes on from Ernie Beckett.

That's a really contentious subject in Grimsby and Cleethorpes - some people rave, others really dislike. My favourite is Steels CornerHouse Restaurant, opposite Ernie Beckett's. They don't do takeaway, though. Quite often there's a queue, especially in the summer and on match days. You can book though.

I am more than happy to investigate further!

I am a fan of good fish & chips.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I am more than happy to investigate further!

I am a fan of good fish & chips.

I'm an exile now, though a trip to Steels is always on the agenda when I return; it's a time capsule of a place. I was very disappointed with my one trip to Papa's - though some people are happy.

In Bradford you have to go a couple of miles out of the city to find a proper Yorkshire chip shop serving (skinless) haddock fried in beef dripping. Beautiful. My favourites are Highgate fisheries at Horton Bank Top (A647) and Salty's by the roundabout at the top of St Enoch's Road. There is also one on the main Cleckheaton road just north of Low Moor station. Most of the inner-city takeaways use vegetable oil. I remember when there was a little chip shop called Avenue Fisheries where the Mumtaz now is; it was run by my next door neighbour. But I went off it a little when he bought a crinkly chip cutter in the late 1960s.

I love steak and kidney puddings so in Lancashire I always look for Hollands - and in the midlands Pukka.

The worst cities for chip shops are Liverpool and London where you will find none of the above.

There's a little chippy near the Arndale centre in Manchester selling Holland's puddings, not far from Victoria, and also near a number of excellent real ale pubs. Manchester is a good place to change trains.

I was at the University in the 70s and the thing that I remember about Bradford chipys are the fish cakes, real pieces of fish between sliced potato battered and deep fried.

Peter C

Established Member
People have already mentioned the Captain's Cod in Kidderminster, and I know this one's actually in a station, but SVR Kidderminster Town Station Restaurant (or Cafe, can't remember which) does fish & chips which are quite nice. Although I've only been in there once!

-Peter

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Midlands' orange chip shops can be quite variable, but when the chips are dusted sparingly and cooked properly they are fantastic. Even better when served with bits/scraps/insert your own term here. They seem to be dying out as the kebab/chicken shops replace trad chippies. Same with the Cypriot chippies that we used to have a lot of. Most have gone now.

Is that happening because of Birmingham's very high Asian population? There are chicken shops around here too (MK), but no sign of any reduction in chippies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
They might be a bit corporate looking, but Tasty Plaice upstairs at Birmingham New Street station is fantastic. They do black country style battered chips which are just the best.

Parallel

Established Member
Not really near a station (but within walking distance) - The best fish and chips I’ve had was from Krispies in Exmouth. I remember The Carron in Stonehaven (also the birthplace of the battered Mars bar) being very good, but I was very hungry at the time.

Fuzzytop

Bizzie Lizzie's in Skipton is just a short walk from the station. Both restaurant and takeaway have inside seating overlooking the canal - sadly not the railway...

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Back on topic, they are often v good on the coast. A great one is on the harbour front at Brixham (get the 12 bus from Paignton stn) but I can't remember which one it was, as there are three all next to each other.

Sheds.

A friend often recommends the one on the right barely a few paces from Hove station (heading south, coastwards).

Established Member
Appletongate Fish Bar 5 min walk from Newark Northgate, in the old days. Think it’s got new owners recently so not as good. Newcastle Arms pub used to be good too, Kings Cross men used to come up for few pints on their off days 35 years ago..

Statto

Established Member
Probably cheating a bit as it's around 10 minute walk from Moreton station rather than next to a station, but the greenhut[that's it's official name]by Moreton Shore Wirral, but it's worth it for the fish & chips, & fruity curry, it's always busy to, & can be heaving when the weather is good, one of those that's open during the day..

Status
Not open for further replies.