• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best fish & chips near a station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
In Bradford you have to go a couple of miles out of the city to find a proper Yorkshire chip shop serving (skinless) haddock fried in beef dripping. Beautiful. My favourites are Highgate fisheries at Horton Bank Top (A647) and Salty's by the roundabout at the top of St Enoch's Road. There is also one on the main Cleckheaton road just north of Low Moor station. Most of the inner-city takeaways use vegetable oil. I remember when there was a little chip shop called Avenue Fisheries where the Mumtaz now is; it was run by my next door neighbour. But I went off it a little when he bought a crinkly chip cutter in the late 1960s.

I used to frequent both Highgate & Salty's at one time or another. These days the best chippy for me, and only a 10 minute walk from Baildon station is Baildon Fisheries. They have even set up online deliveries, which is a win right now. Websters further up in the village is also pretty decent for when the pubs reopen and I am falling out of the Malt Shovel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
They're nothing like Wetherspoons chips. There's one just down the road from Scoffs if you wish to compare and contrast the next time you're in Devon
:D
I don't actually mind Spoons chips myself. Of course they'd never be my go-to, but in the right place at the right time I have no problem with them.

Who was it who was talking about every thread on RUK devolving to pub/beer?

FQTV

I was at the University in the 70s and the thing that I remember about Bradford chipys are the fish cakes, real pieces of fish between sliced potato battered and deep fried.

In the North East, at least, that’s a fish pattie, as opposed to a fish cake.

route101

Established Member
That chippy is disgusting, You can smell the chip fat from the next street, Deep fried pizza and sausage and as you mentioned-Haggis. No doubt all fried in the same fat.

Blue Lagoon split opnion , there is a lot better and they have a captive market. With the exception of Merchant Chiipy , Glasgow City Centre does not have many good ones. Often smell off fish/grease from Blue Lagoon

route101

Established Member
I don't actually mind Spoons chips myself. Of course they'd never be my go-to, but in the right place at the right time I have no problem with them.

Who was it who was talking about every thread on RUK devolving to pub/beer?

Problem with spoons chips is you dont get enough of them , i ask for more and ditch the onion rings

Sheddyone

Is that happening because of Birmingham's very high Asian population? There are chicken shops around here too (MK), but no sign of any reduction in chippies.

That's probably part of it. Also the rise of ordering from apps like Just East amongst the young (where the trad fish & chip shops are less represented), plus some owners retiring, changing eating and working habits.

Having said that, the good ones seem more well known and are still very busy on weekend evenings. My nearest decent chippy (Parkes on Halesowen Rd, B62) had v long queues last Sat all marked out into 2m squares outside due to CV-19 - it was quite a spectacle as I cycled past.

Established Member
The best chippy I visited last year was Fritz and Chips in Weymouth, however it's rather nearer the Quay station than the Town one and it might be a tad difficult getting a train to the former...
I'd strongly second that!

paul332

Sea Shell in Lisson Grove, next to Marylebone. One of the best in London. Reopens 7th May for takeaway.

Whistler40145

Established Member
There’s a good Chippy near Carlisle Railway Station on the Crescent and have always been impressed by the quality

ash39

Established Member
In the North East, at least, that’s a fish pattie, as opposed to a fish cake.

I moved from Leeds to York, a distance of less than 30 miles, and this still catches me out after a decade. The transition must happen somewhere around Tadcaster...

My mate and I have been to countless chippys between moves at random stations over the past few years. Some honourable mentions below:

Sawley Catch - Long Eaton (Notts)
Skippers Fish & Chips - Euxton Balshaw Lane (Lancs)
Trawlers Catch - Thurston (Suffolk)

If you want a more formal, sit down affair, Sanders Fish & Chip Restaurant - Hayle (Cornwall) is pleasant.

One that got away - Village Fisheries - Dronfield (Derbyshire). I read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that these guys did superb fish and chips. The word must be well known locally, as the Friday evening queue was out of the door. Sadly, we didn't have enough time to queue before our next train.

SouthWalesSam

Harbour Lights, about 5 minutes downhill of Falmouth Town, won best Fish and Chippy for a while now! That or the one atop in Penmere is rather nice! Kept me going at Uni!
(Pictured Harbour Lights on my last trip West)

Attachments

• 20190905_194440.jpg
    20190905_194440.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3

Qwerty133

Established Member
That's probably part of it. Also the rise of ordering from apps like Just East amongst the young (where the trad fish & chip shops are less represented), plus some owners retiring, changing eating and working habits.

Having said that, the good ones seem more well known and are still very busy on weekend evenings. My nearest decent chippy (Parkes on Halesowen Rd, B62) had v long queues last Sat all marked out into 2m squares outside due to CV-19 - it was quite a spectacle as I cycled past.
I don't even want to think where the queues would be on a Frday night if my local* chippy was open at the minute (and I suspect is the reason it is closed), it is bad enough on a typical Friday with the queue being known to extend round the whole shop, down the drive, and onto the street and can probably sometimes contain 30 or 40 people (or groups). Hi-Tide 5 minutes walk from Narborough station for those wondering.
*Local in the sense of it being the one that I would choose to use if wanting chips whilst at home, not necessarily the closest one.

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
Could we have a sub category for those frying in beef dripping?

I'm affraid I can't recommend any near any stations but would like a reference for future travels.
Not near a station. But if you are ever up Tyne and wear way and visit Beamish living museum , they fry them in beef dripping , as they would have in the old day's.

ASharpe

Not near a station. But if you are ever up Tyne and wear way and visit Beamish living museum , they fry them in beef dripping , as they would have in the old day's.

My in-laws have a holiday home* not far away and it is on our list of places to visit. I think I'll bump it up the priority list a bit for the next time we are up there.

*static caravan

Spamcan81

Thanks, but in Bradford they are still known as fish cakes.

So in the North East do you get both fish cakes and patties?

Has that always been the case? Visited some relatives in Wibsey back in '63. Took my pocket money to the local chippy and asked for fishcake and chips. Surprised to get three items and was told I'd got what I'd ordered - a piece of fish, a cake and some chips. Explained that we called them fish cakes down south and the reply came back that they were just called cakes in Yorkshire.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
The signal box cafe at Totnes station - on the 09/09/17, after the 08:15ish (HST) from Didcot Parkway to Totnes was significantly less late than on the 1st July 2 months before (around 65 minutes late into Totnes due to signalling problems in the Bristol area which meant diverted via Westbury from Bath Spa), that full english was much needed!

I had breakfast but that was lunch :).

Springs Branch

Established Member
I've nothing to add by way of a chippy recommendation, but just like to comment what an excellent thread this is!
Why is it that trains and fish & chips go together so well? Almost as well as trains and beer.

Llandudno

Established Member
I've nothing to add by way of a chippy recommendation, but just like to comment what an excellent thread this is!
Why is it that trains and fish & chips go together so well? Almost as well as trains and beer.
Thanks for the plaudits!

I guess when you are travelling around the country for work or leisure purposes there is a comfort feeling on your journey home and if you have a wait for connecting trains what can be better than some proper fish & chips and a pint of real ale in a decent pub/micropub.

Sure beats the hell out of a Pumpkin Cafe with egg mayonnaise sandwiches and luke warm cans of John Smiths!

route101

Established Member
For High St in Glasgow , there is Merchant Chippie , one of few decent chippies in Glasgow.

SteveM70

Established Member
All this reminds me of the best fish and chips I ever had, roughly 1988. We went up the west highland to morar and were staying at the yha nearby (garramore??) and happened to be there the night the mobile fish and chip van came.

Cooked to order, absolutely wonderful

Kendalian

I'd recommend the Jolly Fryer, about 5 min walk from Burneside station. Fish cooked to order, always fresh

Llandudno

Established Member
I'd recommend the Jolly Fryer, about 5 min walk from Burneside station. Fish cooked to order, always fresh
Is Hanratty’s still going in Kendal town centre, not stopped off in Kendal for years?

Established Member
I'd recommend Codfather's in Saltash. Either sit down and eat, or takeaway.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I'd recommend Codfather's in Saltash. Either sit down and eat, or takeaway.

I think I picked up from there once with my dad and watched a couple of 125s rumble across the Albert Bridge! The pub in Saltash had a massive Union Jack painted on the front for I think VE Day in 1995 - it was around the same time I visited.

2L70

On Moderation
Papas on Cleethorpes Pier which is only a few mins walk from the station. The sit down restaurant is good value too with decent portions.

Meole

Fishcotheque for Waterloo departures, never fresher.

Tywyn - Allports - 5 mins from all 3 stations.

Fort William - Sammys.

Status
Not open for further replies.