• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best food options near (but not in) stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkender102

Reccommendations for best food off station to eat in or take on the train. I always steer away from stations unless in a hurry for food options because it's always more expensive and usually chain type places. So what are peoples reccommendations for off station food.

My personal favourite - Rasa Express on Euston Road (I normally exit at Warren Street Tube to pick up and take to Euston). £5.00 for Chicken Biryani plus 2 vegetarian curries and a vegetarian side dish and a pudding - bag and knife and fork included to take on the train! You can eat in for the same price with the local office workers - Keralan Cooking - Aromatic and not too spicy.

I can think of more but let me know your favourites.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sparks2000

Reccommendations for best food off station to eat in or take on the train. I always steer away from stations unless in a hurry for food options because it's always more expensive and usually chain type places. So what are peoples reccommendations for off station food.

My personal favourite - Rasa Express on Euston Road (I normally exit at Warren Street Tube to pick up and take to Euston). £5.00 for Chicken Biryani plus 2 vegetarian curries and a vegetarian side dish and a pudding - bag and knife and fork included to take on the train! You can eat in for the same price with the local office workers - Keralan Cooking - Aromatic and not too spicy.

I can think of more but let me know your favourites.

I love curry and may even try this option next time i have a later afternoon vua Euston but is it fair to take such aromatic food onto the train?

DiscoStu

I usually grab a Burger King on my way back from Euston, and I feel guilty enough eating that on the train. I could never do a curry.

Kite159

Veteran Member
At the risk of really not giving you the answer you wanted... Tesco Express or Sainsbury's Local ;)

At Waterloo you are lucky as you get the choice of both, and they are next-door to each other :)

Lunchtime (sandwich, boxed salad, pasta etc) meal deals are rather excellent.

Jonfun

Established Member
There's a noodle bar in Gateway House on the Piccadilly approach road, Chopstix - standard noodle bar prices like (5 quid for a medium box of noodles and your choice of a couple of toppings) but rather tasty and addictive. Do a token 50p off for rail staff too.

richardio123

My favourite is well in a station sadly.. but you can get it outside as well. Its the TGI Fridays Fast Track in Manchester Piccadilly Station

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
Mabel's Tavern - near London Euston. Particularly recommend the pies and mash there.
Quaich - on the main road 500m from Horsley, Surrey. Lovely cafe, all homemade goods at a fair price.
Morrisons cafe - Alness and Fort William. The best breakfasts out of the supermarket chains in relative small towns.

I don't recommend The Tron pub on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. Waiting for ages for sometimes incorrect orders.

It varies. Chippy at Carlisle near station was best for me, especially when there was dragging going on. Used to watch the train arrive then go for food while they changed loco's.

cls

Wales chip shop , 3 minute walk outside Nuneaton. Crinckle cut chips:D:D:D

johnnychips

Established Member
If you're at Kings X or St Pancras the Dolphin Irish pub does excellent Thai food. Just go through a passage under the library directly opposite St P. Two minutes walk.

parkender102

At the risk of really not giving you the answer you wanted... Tesco Express or Sainsbury's Local ;)

Ha Ha - I also go here when pushed for time as especially the salads etc are better value and quality than from the places on the station - plus maybe a bottle of your favourite tipple to go with it!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I love curry and may even try this option next time i have a later afternoon vua Euston but is it fair to take such aromatic food onto the train?

Check but I'm pretty sure they are only open lunchtimes midweek 12:00-2:00 - not late afternoon, Its not hard to find - left on Euston Road as you exit Warren Street - maybe 100 yards on your left - it's painted bright pink! Must say that as it's Keralan cooking it's not heavily spiced so doesn't really smell. To be honest I've only ever had compliments from other people in the carriage of the type 'that smells gorgeous - where did you get it?'

Normally I'm leaving Euston Friday lunchtime so the Pendolino I get is pretty sparsely populated anyway. Maybe I'd have second thoughts if it was a packed 18:00 to Manchester!

Last edited:

anti-pacer

Established Member
I think it's called Crystal Kebabs, next to McDonald's On York Way, at the eastern side of King's Cross.

It is lovely, although the takeaway itself isn't much to look at.

I would never take such food onto a train though.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Baguette shop next to maccies at Stephenson Place (by New Street stn)

99p for a chicken tikka baguette :)

tony_mac

Established Member
By Euston, there is also the 'Roti King' on Doric Way - it's one of the few (or only) places to get freshly made Roti Canai in the UK.
(http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/25/roti-king-london-restaurant-review)

Don't expect anything fancy (in fact, expect the opposite).
It's not to everyone's taste, for example the chicken curry is very thin, with cheap pieces of chicken on the bone, but it is tasty.

If you like sausages, near Charing Cross is Herman Ze German. It's not massively cheap, but the staff are very friendly and the sausages are good - and you get a chance to practice speaking German!

(There was at least one previous thread on the subject of food near stations)
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67492

Tracked

Established Member
Greggs, Subway & Wetherspoons are usually decent, other places near stations.

Doncaster - The Corner Pin (145 Saint Sepulchre Gate West, Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN1 3AH) do a nice chip butty, or a fry-up or Sunday lunch. Plus good beers.

Sheffield - Rutland Arms (86 Brown Street, Sheffield S1 2BS) do a nice chip butty & variations (look up the Slutty Rutty Butty), and other stuff. Plus good beers.

Edinburgh - Halfway House (24 Fleshmarket Close, Edinburgh EH1 1BX) are a bit cramped but do decent food. Plus good beers.

Leeds - Scarbrough Hotel (Leeds LS1 5DY) a Nicholsons chain pub, very good though

Bury - The Trackside (The East Lancashire Railway, Bolton Street Station, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 0EY.) bit of a cheat, but their black pudding and cheese sandwich was nice

David

Established Member
Edinburgh - Halfway House (24 Fleshmarket Close, Edinburgh EH1 1BX) are a bit cramped but do decent food. Plus good beers.

Another vote for the Halfway House here. An alternative if your in or around Edinburgh is a 10 minute train journey away in Inverkeithing. Gulshan's. Best curry I've had in quite a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.