• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best lense for simple photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xc220009

Hi
Im planning on purchasing a Nikon D3200 to take some general pics of some trains
Does anyone recomend a lense which is good but not ridiculously expensinve, fitting the D3200?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xc170

The 18-105 is excellent for the price, it came as the kit lense with my D7000 (Now gone back to a D90) out of all of the lenses I have, the 18-105 is usually my 'go to' lense.

rf_ioliver

Take a look at Sigma's range of lenses if you're on a budget* ... they're cheaper than the Canon/Nikon branded and just as good - if not better by some reviews.

I have a 10-20 and the 150-500 (not made anymore, but there is another telephoto) - the latter was about 800eur, but still significantly cheaper than the C/Ns. Both are superb!

t.

Ian

* budget, camera lenses....yeah I know...and they're addictive too...just one more lens....

Bevan Price

Established Member
If you can afford, I would also suggest getting a UV filter to protect the front of the lens from the weather. It is a lot cheaper to replace a filter than the entire lens.

Xc220009

If you can afford, I would also suggest getting a UV filter to protect the front of the lens from the weather. It is a lot cheaper to replace a filter than the entire lens.
Yes i will deffinately buy one, thanks for the advice :)

dgl

Established Member
And a decent UV filter needn't cost a lot, The HOYA HMC filters are ~£10

Temple Meads

Established Member
Don't waste your money on a filter - they only serve to degrade your images. Cleaning the front element of a lens isn't difficult.

I agree with this, my experience with UV filters is that they reduce sharpness and focus, and make images darker. They do protect against scratches, but the 18-105 comes with a lens hood which does that to a certain extent, as well.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Don't waste your money on a filter - they only serve to degrade your images. Cleaning the front element of a lens isn't difficult.

+1

I use lens hoods over UV filters which don't scatter/degrade the light. The only filter I will use for railway photography is a polarizing one but bear in mind this will reduce the light by up to about 3 - 4 stops

xc170

+1

I use lens hoods over UV filters which don't scatter/degrade the light. The only filter I will use for railway photography is a polarizing one but bear in mind this will reduce the light by up to about 3 - 4 stops

Never understood using UV filters to protect lens' myself... I've had SLR's for about 8 years now and I haven't scratched or damaged a lens yet and I'm not the most delicate of people...

AM9

Veteran Member
Having used Sony video cameras for years, I've found that Zeiss T* lens fitted to them have a hard coated surface that withstand most reasonable handling and cleaning without compromising the image. In more recent years, hard coated lens have become more common with other manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.