• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Locations around Buxton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stockholm84

Morning,

Wondering if anyone's any suggestions of the best places to view and photograph the trains around the Buxton/Peak Forest area?

Haven't been around that way since I was a kid (we're talking pre-privatisation!) but recently have been searching on Google how things are looking there nowadays and would like to go all nostalgic and go experience it again for myself. Mainly wanting to view the freight lines rather Northern DMUs (if they aren't on strike) and not wanting to do anything dodgy in terms of parking or trespassing to get a good shot.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Some possibilities (normally freight only):

1. Bridge next to old station at Peak Forest (which is actually in Peak Dale). Area served by alternate buses on the Buxton - Stockport service (199), longish walk from Dove Holes station, or find safe place to park on nearby roads. (Be careful, some roads are a bit narrow, and may be used by lorries..)

2. Bridge at Great Rocks Junction, just north of Tunstead. Not been for years, but there used to be space to park nearby.

3. Chapel en le Frith station approach road. Was best for southbound train photography; not been recently to check vegetation growth.

4. Footbridge next to Chinley South Junction. Reached by steep footpath which can be muddy; nosey cows may also be nearby. No easy nearby parking.

5. A couple of bridges on the line towards Hindlow about 0.5 miles south of Buxton town centre. Views not particularly spectacular, and may have been affected by vegetation since my last visit.

Note that freight traffic can be variable, with long intervals between trains.

Apart from that - various locations in the Hope Valley or Chinley areas, where you will also see East Midland, Northern & Trans Pennine dmus.

Stockholm84

That's awesome, thanks very much for the info @Bevan Price! I'll dig out a map of the area and get a plan together now I've got a starting point.

Noticed on Realtimetrains that traffic seems sporadic at best so going to try and time it when I've got most chance of seeing something on the move. To be honest though will just be nice to be down that way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.