• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best loco name???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

5068 Beverston Castle. Gone but not forgotten.:cry:

I remember seeing HST 'Top of the Pops' (43002?) at Swindon in the mid 80s. Bit of a daft name in retrospect, but it stuck in the memory.

'Virgin Invader', im sure that is going to make a lot of money at the Railwayana auctions one day.:D

xc170

I think the voyager that was called Dr Who was kinda cool, dont know weather it still exists or weather its gone to AXC:D

CosherB

Established Member
"Driver John Axon,G.C" is a great name, but it's on a cr@p train. Saw it on the Mid Cheshire Line the other week.

I, too, liked the 87s - Hal O'the Wynd, Wolf of Badenoch, Thane of Fife, Earl Marichal. Lord of the Isles, etc.

Then theres "Sir William A Stanier FRS" - great name for a great loco and a great guy.:D

'Virgin Soldiers' shows that Virgin do at least have a sense of humour. And no, Wilmslow is not a city. Surely there is no 'City of Wilmslow' train or loco?

There were two locos that carried the name Oor wullie
37275 and 37402 sorry to say the name is long gone and so is 37275 from
the main line. but 37402 is still on the go and carrys the name bont Y bermo

regards--37718:)

The Gricer

Hi to anyone who remembers me, (and indeed to anyone that doesn't). I haven't visited here for ages but came across this thread while looking for something totally unrelated. Just felt I'd like to add a few comments.

However, some names are really stupid, like 'sophie'
66581 was named "Sophie" in memory of ten year old Sophie Storey who was killed on the railway.

All the 220s were called "Area/Place Voyager".
Not all of them.
220001 was originally named "Maiden Voyager" before later becoming "Somerset Voyager".
220008 was named "Welsh Dragon"
220017 was "Bombardier Voyager"
220026 was "Stagecoach Voyager"

Its a shame after the refurbishment of the 455s they lost their plates :(
I know 5735 was named.
As far as I know four 455s were named:
5711 "Spirit of Rugby"
5731 "Variety Club"
5735 "The Royal Borough of Kingston"
5750 "Wimbledon Train Care"

I notice 158 910 has been named "William Wilberforce". I saw it today.
Wasn't there another 158 with the same name? I think it was an ex-Alphaline one (???) Pretty sure it's still running around in that tatty silver livery with pink doors..........
Class 60 60046 was (and I think still is) also named "William Wilberforce".

87022 Cock O' The North :D
That one could have been the "Virgin Invader"!!

Re the West Country Class so strange that one was not named 'Bournemouth' !
Why? Bournemouth isn't really in the West Country is it?

I remember seeing HST 'Top of the Pops' (43002?) at Swindon in the mid 80s. Bit of a daft name in retrospect, but it stuck in the memory.
It was indeed 43002. TOTP was a very popular program with younger folk in those days, and while I agree it does seem an odd choice of name I guess it's no more daft than things like the 442s 2410 "Meridian Tonight", 2419 "BBC South Today" and HST 43106 "Songs of Praise".

I think the voyager that was called Dr Who was kinda cool, dont know weather it still exists or weather its gone to AXC:D
221122 is now with Cross Country and has been de-named.

When I was a trainspotting youngster,many, many moons ago, my personal favourite named locos (for no particular reasons) were Merchant Navy class 35008 "Orient Line", class 47s 47010 "Fair Rosamund" and 47484 "Isambard Kingdom Brunel"
The name "Isambard Kingdom Brunel" of course was previously carried on Castle class 5069, and has since been on HST 43003, then class 60 60081.

Another favourite of mine was 37416 which carried the name "Sir Robert McAlpine" on one side and a rather less formal "Concrete Bob" on the other.

One of the least imaginative names has to be the name given to SWT's 450015 "Desiro".

43021HST

Established Member
Train names should be espicially the old diesels:

Beast
Monster
Mega clag
Deafener
Ear Ringer
Cars Suck
Run 'n' hide
Thrash
Polluter
Exhaust mania

Phoenix

Established Member
Train names should be espicially the old diesels:

Beast
Monster
Mega clag
Deafener
Ear Ringer
Cars Suck
Run 'n' hide
Thrash
Polluter
Exhaust mania

Cars suck? really? the other names have some comical value but cars suck isnt the best of the lot but believe me if I owned a beast loco run and hide would be on the possible name list.

laseandre

Established Member
220001 was originally named "Maiden Voyager" before later becoming "Somerset Voyager".
220008 was named "Welsh Dragon"
220017 was "Bombardier Voyager"
220026 was "Stagecoach Voyager"

I believe a 221 now holds "Bombardier Voyager" after the re-jig of the formations (ie. the Standard on normal and First on N Wales services coaches etc).

507 001

Established Member
How about any of the A3 pacific names? things like Hyperion, St Gatien, The white Knight and Spion Kop. all famous racehorses.

or the class 50 names, Dreadnought e.g.
or 37 429 "Eisteddfod Genedlaethol"
and obviously 390 031/87 008, "city of Liverpool"

Status
Not open for further replies.