• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best looking loco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demps

what is the best looking loco, including units (with or without cars) including livery variations. i would have to say...

1. class 89 is my favourite with its snoopy looking noses, GNER; simplicity always wins.

2. class 90 in ONE it looks very race car like with a front valance in the bright blue.

3. class 55 porterbrook, the livery is unique and dazzling, the body is fitted low onto its squashed bogies, the nose peers down giving a powerful look.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Demps said:
what is the best looking loco, including units (with or without cars) including livery variations. i would have to say...

1. class 89 is my favourite with its snoopy looking noses, GNER; simplicity always wins.

2. class 90 in ONE it looks very race car like with a front valance in the bright blue.

3. class 55 porterbrook, the livery is unique and dazzling, the body is fitted low onto its squashed bogies, the nose peers down giving a powerful look.

1. GNER livery HST is the best looking.
2. class 373. i would prefer GNER livery (of course...) although the "Da Vinci Code livery" is not so bad.
3. GNER livery class 91. i've never heard about anyone who like this class. probably there's somthing here...

Demps

lol a voyager, understandable but when there are things like the APT-p HST and APT-E it is a shock, but it is oppinion :)

LucaZone

Putting functionality to one side, the design and colour scheme just works for me. Even so more than the Meridians. They are the face of privatisation for me. The biggest fleet replacement in the country (until this title was taken by SWT :)).

The Snap

Established Member
Mine are as follow, number 1 being best looking! :D

- Class 185 new Transpennine Express 'Neon' livery.
- Class 66 Freightliner
- Class 390 Virgin Pendolino

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
For me -
Best looking unit has to go to the voyager no matter how bad they are.
Best looking Loco goes to class 57.
Can I also add most modern looking unit? - 390 :)

AlexS

Established Member
87s in Virgin Trains livery look great

158s in original Regional Railways Express livery look the part - although the livery was obviously specifically designed for them!

47s in NSE updated - looks very smart.

tramboy

The best looking loco has to be the 91, which looks good in either the GNER livery (which suits it) or old ic swallow livery (which also suited it!)

Two tone grey suits 92s well, and the freightliner livery on 66s makes them look in some way better than EWS/DRS liveried ones, but don't ask me why I think that!

As for MUs...the most striking ones out there are 185s at the moment, with 332/333 class EMUs also stylish. The best livery I saw on a 373 was the GNER vinyled one, although the Da Vinci Code vinyls on 3210/11 did suit them!

Cheers

Dave

Andrew

I think the 60s shape is nice - especially in two tone grey with coal sector (in particular) branding. It has something to do with their flat sides and chunky ends (as opposed to the 92s which look good with their curves but (very misleadingly!) don't look as powerful.)

I'd agree that Freightliner livery suits the 66s far better than any other. One thought as to why it looks so good is that the yellow extends over all the front ends (EWS' 66s don't) and that the yellow is a similar (if not exactly the same) shade as FL's logo yellow - which IMO is why the GBRf 66s look awful - the orange/yellow mix is disgusting. DRS' 66 livery is far too detailed which doesn't work with the ridges on a 66s bodyside.

I think GNER HSTs still beat everything hands down - key reason (other than the GNER colours which no TOC has beaten yet) is the blue extending to reach the front cab window sides - for some reason the narrow yellow front ends work really, really well on them.

As for more conventional MUs - I'd go for 375/377s (all liveries look good) or gangwayed Desiros (though no current liveries look good). From a distance, SWT 159s (especially coupled pairs) look classier than most. Adelantes look good close up - especially if you can't see the couplings - either by being on a platform or by them being covered. They're chunky like the 60s but with streamlined ends.

390s are too curved and Voyagers aren't curved enough - though the MML livery does work nicely on them.

Guinness

Established Member
I've always liked 47s in BR Blue and Virgin Old colours.

I'm starting to like GBRf 66s those (The ones without First stickers slapped all over them). :)

Virgin livery on 57s.
Freightliner livery on 66s (especially the older style headlights).
The new HST livery for FGW (can't wait till they're all like that.)

The 37 Fan

Oh good lord...I see a lot of shed neds and plastic followers :lol: <D

Well here are mine...

1) Class 37's in general, the best looking loco and the best liveries for it are Loadhaul/EWS/Intercity/Reginal Railways/Royal Scotsman.

2) Class 60's another good looking loco, liveries of Cours/Mainline Blue/Loadhaul/Transrail/Trainload Coal

3) Class 56's a true good looker and sounds great too, bets liveries are Loadhaul/Transrail/Dutch/Trainload Coal/Fastline

4) Class 58's a odd but interesting Loco, good in these liveries Mainline Blue/EWS/Railfreight Red Stripe

5) 47's ok but not the best, liveries that suit them are DRS/EWS/Freightliner old and new style

6) Class 86 a great electric in Freightliner old and new style/EWS/RES

7) The dreaded 66, however look good in DRS/Freightliner

Demps

on this note, i think i said the 80, 90 and HST, but if i was going for noise etc. it would definaterly be the 37, or under different circumstances i would rather see a 47, 37, 33, 20, 56, etc. rather than a 90.

ChrisM

For me the best looking loco is class 60s in Loadhaul or EWS followed by 58s in Mainline blue.
Centro liveried 150s are the best looking Units.

Status
Not open for further replies.