• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best On Board Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
What are people’s experiences of on board service overall? (Including train managers, catering etc).

I’ve always found TPE to be really good - haven’t had a bad/poor customer service experience on board. The catering staff have in my experience also been good.

A word has to be said for VTWC too, can’t remember a time I’ve had a bad experience with a manager/in the shop. I’ve had the odd bolshy member of staff on the platforms at Euston but nothing too bad.

TfW/ATW as they were aren’t great. There are a few decent managers about but overall their customer service feels lacking compared to other TOCs. Also, what’s with their system for paying for snacks/drinks from the trolley by card? You have to buy a voucher rather than pay for the stuff directly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ticket Man

Also, what’s with their system for paying for snacks/drinks from the trolley by card? You have to buy a voucher rather than pay for the stuff directly.

That a relic and simply means they don't have the right tech in place yet. I used to have to sell them vouchers from Advantix machines back in the day when the onboard card machines were being upgraded. I'm sure TFW will have a mobile solution in the pipeline already.

Bookd

Do they take credit card payments? (If not maybe they should)
Today I was at the food market on London South Bank where I saw one bar / coffee stall with a notice that they were cash free; however small the purchase you would pay by contactless card - it is increasingly the case in pubs and cafes that when it comes to paying they will automatically produce the card machine and are surprised if you want to pay by hard cash.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Personally , never had a bad experience on ATW or their successor - on board staff are invariably friendly and efficient , and that goes for the Valley network as well as the main lines. Ditto VWC - where the staff are as good as can be expected, if not better. That applies to the catering crews on both.

Mathew S

Established Member
I don't think I've had a bad experience with onboard staff for years. VTWC always impress me, as do ScotRail, and TPE. Northern, the staff that I see are usually good, unfortunately they're not often to be seen.

Parallel

Established Member
TfW/ATW as they were aren’t great. There are a few decent managers about but overall their customer service feels lacking compared to other TOCs. Also, what’s with their system for paying for snacks/drinks from the trolley by card? You have to buy a voucher rather than pay for the stuff directly.
Not anymore, staff should have card machines now, subject to there being signal, of course!

For me, it’s probably LNER or dare I say it, XC. Also, ATW/TfW and VTWC

_toommm_

Established Member
Not anymore, staff should have card machines now, subject to there being signal, of course!

For me, it’s probably LNER or dare I say it, XC. Also, ATW/TfW and VTWC

And IIRC they use the same handheld machines and portable card machines strapped to the back that LNER use in their buffets.

Status
Not open for further replies.