• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best parking for Stanmore on a Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

Any recommendations for parking for Stanmore on a Saturday? I have been to Stanmore Station countless times but never actually used it - have only been collecting/dropping off, but tomorrow it suits Mrs Centric and I to take the Jubilee Line all the way to Canning Town (unless anyone has a quicker multi-modal method of getting to Excel Centre from Watford?).

Happy to use the official car park if necessary but obviously it's better to pay less. Plus I'm in a hilariously low stakes legal "battle" with NCP about an unfairly issued parking charge notice so I prefer not to provide them with income if I can avoid it.

Anyway that was a lot of possibly unnecessary background to the question - where's best to park for Stanmore station on a Saturday?

(I know there's an orthopedic hospital up the A5 offering free parking and it was recommended by a parking site, but for obvious ethical issues I am not prepared to stay there)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Where abouts are you in Watford?

Stanmore to Canning Town off-peak is £3.20 through zone 1.
Watford (Met) to Canning Town off-peak is £4.20 through zone 1 with a cross platform change at Finchley Road. How much will petrol and parking cost? Watford High Street is the same price (£4.20) changing at Queens Road onto the Bakerloo then Baker Street onto the Jubilee.

Or you can avoid zone 1.

Stanmore to West Hampstead, short walk to Overground station then to Stratford and finally Jubilee to Canning Town is £1.70 off-peak.
Watford (Met) to Finchley Road, short walk to Finchley Road and Frognall then Overground/Jubilee as above is £3.00 off-peak.
Watford High Street to Willesden Junction then Overground/Jubilee as above is £3.10 off-peak.

Egg Centric

Am a few minutes walk away from Watford High Street. I am looking to optimise time over cost*. If I were to take the Met, then I would drive to Moor Park and park for free, but we know how reliable the Met is at weekends atm - do you think it's better than Jubilee timing-wise?

Have been doing some Google Maps Stretview recon and it looks like Merrion Avenue next to Stanmore is parkable for free on weekends.

* Sort of. I will put far more effort into saving £1 of car parking charges than I will into saving £1 of TFL fares. I appreciate this is not economically rational. So essentially I want to choose the quickest railway route, then find the cheapest way to park there

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
lf your journey starts near Watford (High Street) station then you’re better just going to South Hampstead and walking the 5 Min to Swiss Cottage.

LUYMun

You could catch the 142 bus to Stanmore (£1.55), then board the Jubilee line thereon.

Status
Not open for further replies.