• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best place for a pint within view of a railway station/line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Be it through a window but I have sat and seen the passing trains whilst in the West Riding at Dewsbury station and Head of Steam at Huddersfield if sat in the right place. The Kings Head at Huddersfield I don’t recall having such a great view outside to the platform

I was sat in the West Riding the other Bank Holiday Sunday with a pint & one of their pies watching through the window onto the platform. A damned good spot indeed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Also a shout out for the little bar on Manningtree station
Ah, I spent many happy hours there in the late '70s when it was one of the few real ale pubs in the area. Then staggering onto the last train back to Ipswich.

The food was good too. One evening we watched the cook carefully packaging a meal up in foil. A few minutes later she went outside, an up freight (37 hauled IIRC) slowed down through the platform, meal handed up into the cab, engine opens up and away it went. That's proper customer focused service.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Two from me;

The George Inn @ Finchdean which is a pleasant 30 minute walk, or 10 minute cycle from Rowlands Castle Station has a large garden which backs onto the Portsmouth direct line, rolling stock is your generic Desiro, with very limited surprises thrown in.

The Junction next to St Denys station again has a large garden but looks quite run down. Apparently the locals aren’t too bad. Desiros, Electrostars, Voyagers and Sprinters, as well as 3/4 freights an hour.

The Railwayman's on the platform at SVR Bridgnorth...and the Royal Oak at Gretton has the GWSR line at the bottom of the garden...

Somewhat lateral to the brief, but KWVR have a couple of on-train bars with real ales.
Of course, most of the trains you view will be the one you're on, but it's an interesting alternative

jonesy3001

Established Member
station hotel in preston, used to go in there for a couple when we had to wait for the next train to lancaster and had a view of platforms 4-7.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
There must be a pub in Grange or Arnside that has views onto the Kent Viaduct...?

See higher up, The Albion at Arnside. Nice to sit out the front. Grange I think not.

next to the curve from the High Level Bridge towards Sunderland/Durham Coast.

Like at Arnside you'll need to nurse your pints to see many trains before inebriation sets in.

BelleIsle

The Continental in Preston. By the river with a view of the trains passing on the bridge. Decent beer and a play area to keep the little uns quiet.

pemma

Veteran Member
I have vivid memories, from the other ‘side of the fence’ (being on a train) zooming through Stalybridge on a TPE towards Huddersfield, particularly on a nice Friday afternoon, and the platform area outside the pub being full of drinkers. I have a feeling this isn’t allowed anymore though

Probably not due to the ticket barriers being put in. I don't think TPE would like passengers buying a pint to avoid buying a ticket.

Crossover

Established Member
Probably not due to the ticket barriers being put in. I don't think TPE would like passengers buying a pint to avoid buying a ticket.

I was thinking even without any barriers the drinking on the platform may have been stopped. I couldn't even tell you if there was another way in to the pub at Stalybridge - I have only ever entered from the platform!

diffident

There is a nice boozer right next to the footbridge at Water Orton which sees a variable amount of rail traffic. Similarly there is a pub next to Coleshill Parkway just up the line a bit but sees considerably less traffic.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The beer garden of the Bankes Arms in Corfe Castle isn't a bad spot, with the Swanage Railway almost next door.

175mph

On Moderation
I'm surprised no one's mentioned The Mallard at Doncaster Frenchgate, the outside part has a great view of the various trains in the neighbouring station.

SSp

The Wharf in Castlefield usually gets a deserved mention, train line, metrolink and two canals

Tracked

Established Member
I'm surprised no one's mentioned The Mallard at Doncaster Frenchgate, the outside part has a great view of the various trains in the neighbouring station.

The Draughtsman, on Platform 3B at Doncaster too.

The Dronfield Arms, Dronfield (MML goes by just above it)

Baxters Arms in Fenwick, and The Star at Moss (if that's still open)

Bromley boy

Established Member
Pricey , but good. Part of it was the Divisional Inspectors Office in the 1960's , friends relate having difficult Rules exams in there ..(they always passed though) :D

I wonder if any of them have been back for a relaxed pint in the same rooms they were examined in?!

Clip

Established Member
The Parcel Yard at Kings Cross is pretty good (I believe it was previously a Parcel Force depot, hence the name). Some of the seats have views over the platforms.

Food isn’t bad either.

i dont believe parcelforce ever inhabited it. i k ow it was part of the gner and possibly a bit of the old wagn messrooms when i started there i 2003

satisnek

Of the three pubs in Willington, the Green Man and the Rising Sun offer the best railway views. The Dragon is further away from the line but on the other hand has a canalside beer garden. And it's probably the best of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.