• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best place for a pint within view of a railway station/line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clayton

On Moderation
THe Tandem at Kennington near Oxford, beer garden right by the main line

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fuzzytop

The Yare at Brundall, overlooking the manual level crossing (for now) to catch a glimpse of some loco haulage (for now).

Ben.A.98

The Mallard, located on platform 1 at Dingwall.

The Clachnaharry Inn in Inverness which has a beer garden overlooking the North line.

superkev

Established Member
The refreshment rooms Sowerby Bridge station real ale and railway themed. Sit outside and watch the trains or go inside and view the historical displays and chat with rail buffs.
K

lightning76

A bit further afield, Birrificio delle Officine Ferroviarie in Turin has a fine view over the approach to Porta Nuova station.

CC 72100

Established Member
Not too many services mind, but the Cross Guns at Avoncliff has a lovely view of a river, canal (on the bridge) and the Bath - Westbury line (at the back). It also has its own little Halt just tucked behind the trees.
the-cross-guns.jpg
Just ensure you know when your train back is!

No longer a request stop these days, but still only 1 train per hour and still very limited mobile signal if you did need to check!

chefchenko

Graze is good at bath spa while enjoying a bath ale and food . Also the hazel pear at Acton bridge has a garden adjacent to wcml but I think it may be closed now ☹️

I haven't been for many years, but you used to be able to sit outside the Plough at Huddlesford, just outside Lichfield, and watch the trains go up and down the WCML. Streetview images suggest there may now be a big fence in the way. :(

https://goo.gl/maps/qtw2yzv51cP2

I was thinking even without any barriers the drinking on the platform may have been stopped. I couldn't even tell you if there was another way in to the pub at Stalybridge - I have only ever entered from the platform!

I am not surprised the drinking on the platform has been stopped. Many a time I have been enjoying a pint when there has been many inebriated revellers looking the worse for drink staggering along the platform. I do miss it though as I have fond memories eating and drinking outside in the sunshine-and raising a glass to passing trains.

jp1147

The White Swan Upstairs, next door to the MML by Congers Bridge,number 52, between Sileby and Barrow upon Soar.

HSTs,66s,20s,73s and Underground stock being towed by ROG 37s to and from the Dalby Test Track I presume.

Clip

Established Member
i believe the new bar at Bishop Auckland station has a view of the line. Not very good like but they have good beer.

Last edited by a moderator:

djpontrack

Another vote for the Snug micropub on Carnforth station, not far away is the Crossing Micropub next to Hest Bank level crossing.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Beer garden in The Windermere , South Kenton - fine art-deco pub in any case , masses of WCML activity. i

londiscape

The Beer Engine at Newton St Cyres - good range of excellent real ales brewed on premises in the microbrewery downstairs, good Cornish lager if one wants something more refreshing on a hot summer afternoon, and superior food.

Outside area overlooks the Tarka line, so not that many trains, and the other disadvantage is only a few tpd stop at Newton St C so careful planning needed if intending to catch a train out of the village! Otherwise it's a taxi into Exeter.

Halsebee

Allerford Inn, at Allerford near Taunton, garden right next to SW main line, level crossing, and great Sunday carvery to boot

sprinterguy

Established Member
The beer garden of the Rambler Inn at Edale.
Very atmospheric on a summers evening, when the distant crash of semaphore signalling being pulled 'off' presages the rumble of Sheffield bound fast trains rushing by, before the tranquility of the rural idyll descends once more.

Honourable mention also for the beer garden of The Boathouse at Wylam - Another one of those where the intermittent wail of level crossing klaxons gives prior warning and raises expectations of what is to come, even if 95% of the time it's nothing more than a Pacer or Super Sprinter unit burbling away from the station call.

Personally though, my favourite is the York Tap, especially for the limited period of time while you can still watch 'proper' inter-city trains, in the form of the HSTs and 225s, rushing in from the north. The Betjeman Arms at St Pancras is also very relaxing, watching the Eurostars gently buzz in and out.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
One that I haven't been to, but would like to try as I pass it on the train five days a week, is The Mill at Worston, adjacent to the WCML just south of Norton Bridge. It has a large beer garden by the River Sow, which would be idyllic were it not for the peace being regularly shattered by trains whizzing by on the main line!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Wetherspoon "Yr Hen Orsaf" at Aberystwyth in former railway Offices and closed part of platform although only an hour or sometimes 2 between trains.

bastien

Just ensure you know when your train back is!

No longer a request stop these days, but still only 1 train per hour and still very limited mobile signal if you did need to check!

It's only a mile wander down the canal to Bradford on Avon so no worries. Just remember to head in the right direction (East).

SSp

Wetherspoon "Yr Hen Orsaf" at Aberystwyth in former railway Offices and closed part of platform although only an hour or sometimes 2 between trains.
I was sat in there about 15 years ago and saw the train derail in front of me!

83G/84D

Established Member
Not seen the Rat race pub at Hartlepool station mentioned- very compact but a must do if in the area.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Allerford Inn, at Allerford near Taunton, garden right next to SW main line, level crossing, and great Sunday carvery to boot
Glad to hear that's still going (and hasn't been turned into a second home!) albeit with a name change. Formerly the Victory Inn, with the adjacent level crossing presumably still named "Victory Crossing".

There was (and still might be) another pub next to a crossing further down the line at Aller* (near Cullompton) but that one is unfortunately in earshot of the M5 so not as tranquil between trains!

*= What is it with Somerset/Devon/Cornwall and repeated names? There are several places called Aller or variations thereof, and almost every city/town/large village has a road named Fore Street!

gazthomas

Established Member
York Tap in, well, York is good for platform action. As is the one in Sheffield.

There is a pub on Bristol Temple Meads Station, a bit rough around the edges but good for station action:

On preserved lines in the pub by the level crossing at Grosmont is great, likewise the station pub at Bury Bolton Street.

And while ever so slightly off topic, the pubs that makeup the Transpennine Real Ale Trail surely qualify?

pdq

My old local, The Cross Inn in Penally, has lovely views from the garden over to the golf links and Caldey Island. It's also just up from the station so has very good views of the trains, albeit one in each direction every two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.