• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best place in Germany to stay to visit Vienna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's quite sobering to read the history of eastern Europe over the past 100-odd years through multiple wars, boundary changes and ethnic cleansing episodes.
On a recent train trip I stayed recently at Hotel Cisar in Lviv.
Cisar is the Ukrainian for Tsar/Caesar/Kaiser and I wondered if it celebrated the Russian Tsar or not.
On checking in, there was a large portrait of Emperor Franz Josef in reception, so the affiliation became obvious.
So they like to look back to former times when a wide area of Ukraine/Poland was called Galicia, a province of the Austro-Hungarian empire.
Incidently there is an even bigger portrait of Franz Josef in the upper level of Prague Hlavni station (it was built as the terminus of the original Franz Josef Bahn from Vienna, where the terminus is still the FJB station).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Belperpete

Established Member
It's quite sobering to read the history of eastern Europe over the past 100-odd years through multiple wars, boundary changes and ethnic cleansing episodes.
Indeed, it doesn't take much reading of Austrian or Hungarian history to see why the peoples of these countries generally take a much harder view of refugees from Muslim countries than do countries further west. We tend to view Muslims as coming from places that we probably once controlled, and so still have some residuary duty of care for, whereas Austrians and Hungarians tend to view Muslims as those people who were forever invading and massacring them.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The German speakers were also expelled from Vojvodina (autonomous region in the north of the Serbian constituent republic of Yugoslavia (to give it what I think was its official title in Yugoslav days, before that country fell apart / was dismembered [according to political analysis]; still the name of the northern region of Serbia). A colleague of mine, years ago, had grown up in a small town in Vojvodina before WW2, and spoke a mixture of Hungarian, Serbo-Croat and German when playing in the street with the other kids. Apparently she didn't click, until going to school, that she was actually speaking 3 different languages. Post WW2, the German-speaking families "disappeared", and in post-war Yugoslav times the region was officially bi-lingual, recognising Hungarian as well as Serbo-Croat for local purposes (in the same way as Kosova was an autonomous region in the south of Serbia, with the Albanian language recognised.) (There were - and are - small numbers of people in Vojvodina with other mother tongues, including Romanian.)

Yes. Voivodina slipped my mind. I have a friend whose German-speaking parents were from there. He says families intentionally sent their kids to other homes to learn each other's languages. I believe his family upped sticks and left rather than be expelled (at best) later.

Status
Not open for further replies.