• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best place to photograph C stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie2555

As it is not going to be too long until the C stock is withdrawn, I would like to know people's opinions on where the best place to photgraph/video them would be.

I would prefer somewhere with quite a high frequency of trains but it isn't necessary.

If someone has the best station(s) and the best spots not in stations, it would be really helpful!

Thanks very much

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

musicking1306

At Paddington H & C platforms you can get some good shots and Edgware Road

:)

Maybe Liverpool st and Kings x if you are bored.

trivran

Edgware Road gets the most C Stocks, but anywhere on the Circle or Hammersmith & City Lines or down to Wimbledon on the District will see one every 10 minutes at least..

Westbourne Park is on one long curve, great when the trains are comming round from either direction. Latimer Road is nice and open and both stations have a lot of interesting architectural features from GWR days and have both very recently been repainted in a lovely GWR paint scheme by LUL - plus at LR theres the famous Trellick Tower if your looking Eastbound from the Westbound platform, in itelf another product of the late 1960's.

Royal Oak is good as its very open and theres the GWML and crossrail work site to keep you occupied whilst waiting for another C.

causton

Established Member
I have been at Royal Oak a couple of times, it is good as you frequently see HSTs and diesels passing on one side while you're waiting for the next train, and can look over at the Crossrail site on the other side!

Aictos

Established Member
The scrapyard might be a start....;)

Seriously though, try Royal Oak.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Anyone know any great places to photo other stocks?

Are you talking "with a permit so can spend ages in one place" or "passing through"?

If the former I would suggest East Acton for 1992 Stock, Stamford Brook for 1973 Stock and D Stock, Finchley Central for 1995 Stock, Finchley Road for 1996 Stock, Queen's Park for 1972 Stock and Harrow on the Hill for the Met.

If the latter, then anywhere with a good aspect I suppose.

Alternatively, if you want to spend a lot of time but don't want to fork out the £50 for a 30 day permit, then public overbridges / lineside parks would be obvious choices - there's a good bridge just north of Harrow on the Hill for the Met and I think there's a lineside park near Rayner's Lane but I haven't really explored such locations but there will be an expert in them along soon so keep checking the thread. :)

Julian G

Established Member
Are you talking "with a permit so can spend ages in one place" or "passing through"?

If the former I would suggest East Acton for 1992 Stock, Stamford Brook for 1973 Stock and D Stock, Finchley Central for 1995 Stock, Finchley Road for 1996 Stock, Queen's Park for 1972 Stock and Harrow on the Hill for the Met.

If the latter, then anywhere with a good aspect I suppose.

Alternatively, if you want to spend a lot of time but don't want to fork out the £50 for a 30 day permit, then public overbridges / lineside parks would be obvious choices - there's a good bridge just north of Harrow on the Hill for the Met and I think there's a lineside park near Rayner's Lane but I haven't really explored such locations but there will be an expert in them along soon so keep checking the thread. :)
the lineside location near Rayners Lane is at Roxbourne Park

causton

Established Member
Alternatively, if you want to spend a lot of time but don't want to fork out the £50 for a 30 day permit,

...try the many unstaffed outer-London stations that now exist due to staffing cuts! Even Royal Oak I only saw one member of staff at, they just smiled at me and went off into a cupboard to get out some cleaning supplies without stopping me taking a photo. Maybe it was because it was on the first day of S7s in passenger service, or maybe he was just nice/couldn't be bothered to confront me!

The permit seems like a good idea to almost-guaranteed stop trouble if you can afford it, but as it's not designed for people just taking pictures (more like filming for student projects etc) it's priced too high for people like me! If there was a £25 one for enthusiasts just taking pictures of rolling stock then I would get that, but... not at the moment!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's actually called the "Student and non-professional" permit and I can assure you it does prevent all hassle. The value is probably greatest for those who are clicking their way through the entire fleet.

district

...try the many unstaffed outer-London stations that now exist due to staffing cuts! Even Royal Oak I only saw one member of staff at, they just smiled at me and went off into a cupboard to get out some cleaning supplies without stopping me taking a photo. Maybe it was because it was on the first day of S7s in passenger service, or maybe he was just nice/couldn't be bothered to confront me!

Aside from a few stations with a few 30 minute gaps for breaks, or where due to unforeseen circumstances there being no staff, all stations operated by LUL are staffed during the opening hours of the station with enough people required for that station.
Just because you cannot see them, does not mean that they are not there.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's actually called the "Student and non-professional" permit and I can assure you it does prevent all hassle. The value is probably greatest for those who are clicking their way through the entire fleet.

Am I right in thinking you can't publish photographs on the internet that are taken with use of this permit though?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking you can't publish photographs on the internet that are taken with use of this permit though?

That's correct - or anywhere else.

Apparently they've just extended that restriction to cover pictures taken under the "passing through" rule as well.....

Established Member
For C Stock I would recommend Farringdon, the west end of the westbound platform at Barbican, and the south end of the northbound platform at High Street Kensington.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't know; I doubt they could do anything about images from public land. It does occur to me that the new rules might be something to do with trying to prevent images of long queues from getting into the news during the Olympics, but then again BAA haven't been able to prevent the queues at Heathrow from getting into the news despite a much stricter rule, so...

Charlie2555

I always try to avoid getting people in my photos but sometimes that's not possible.. I hope, if you're right, this new rule will go away again after the Olympics.
Also I don't understand really what the point is in purchasing a permit if you can't publish it on the internet- there's not that much else to do with them!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd imagine they'd find such a rule almost impossible to enforce, its not like they have names and addresses for many people who would publish photographs taken using the 'passing through' rule. It's going to be quite hard, for example, to stop tourists publishing their photos on Facebook - of which TfL would have no access to.

If this is true, I'm surprised one of the photography magazines hasn't picked up on as they did with the recent attempt to ban photography on the Glasgow Subway (as removing the right to publish images, effectively restricts why many photographers take photographs).

scotsman

Established Member
Get the rules in writing from TfL's media people. Any suggestion that photos of LUL stock/stations taken on public land can't be published is absolutely ludicrous. As for 'passing through' - well, it's their land, so they can dictate what and where you can take pictures of and what/where you publish.

12CSVT

Established Member
Looking at Google Street View, one possiblilty is looking north at Arthur Road overbridge (just outside Wimbledon Park station) although you may need a step ladder.

Uzair

Looking at Google Street View, one possiblilty is looking north at Arthur Road overbridge (just outside Wimbledon Park station) although you may need a step ladder.

This would indeed require a stepladder. I live near this area. The pavement is also slightly narrow.

I recommend Baker Street too for the Met. I didn't have a permit and no one minded! I didn't even know they did permits, when were they introduced?

Tiny Tim

L.U. are understandably sensitive about photography, and doubtless during the Olympics will be even more so. If you don't want to spend money on a permit it's probably best to avoid the period of the Games. If you fancy chancing it after that, make sure you have good photo ID. In my experience you have to be quite blatant to attract any unwanted attention. A little discretion can go a long way.

danuzumi

Didn't think they were that sensitive about it, i have been doing it for months.

On topic, i found a great place to photograph, C Stock, D Stock and 1973 Stock Trains, few mins walk from Hammersmith station is Kings Mall where multiple levels of the car park has excellent coverage of tube lines.

D Stock: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7131/7716693486_c49cf07f47_b.jpg
1973 Stock: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8294/7716693260_9b1481fcb9_b.jpg

Video: http://youtu.be/ujbH7VlzYFY

Sorry the quality is pretty bad, only had my phone with me at the current time but i think its a pretty good spot and some even better ones further down.

Status
Not open for further replies.