• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best place to sell model trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hi everyone

If anyone here has sold model trains to anyone, who did they sell them to and did they get a good price for them?
If anyone wants to but some model trains, I have a number I wish to sell, please contact me if you would like to buy one of them.

But the main reason for this thread, is to find out if anyone knows anyone they have sold model trains to and got a good price?

Cheers,

Ryan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fincra5

Established Member
List them in the "For Sale" section on RMWEB or list them on eBay.

What are you selling?

You can go the EBay route but if you really want a certain price then make sure you set it as a start price, or somewhere around it, or you may well lose something for a lot less than you wanted to sell it for.

Have a look here, I have yet to buy or sell anything here but its run by Hattons so I would expect its pretty sound. http://www.ehattons.com/trade/

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If you want the most for them sell direct to a buyer, through ebay or similar.

If you want a quick buck and you're not worried about price, try your local model shop or look around for secondhand dealers, two that spring to mind are Modelfair and Rails of Sheffield, but be aware that as they have to make a profit on them, you are likely to get a fraction of their true value.

bluebottle

If anyone here has sold model trains to anyone, who did they sell them to and did they get a good price for them?

Yes, eBay. In one case I got more than the original purchase price. Just be honest in your descriptions and post the best possible pics.

Fincra5

Established Member
You can always put a reserve price on eBay too :)

Thinking of selling a few bits, including a layout and a class 155 (RR) and 156 (CT).

Alan1310

dont use modelexchange i found them through ebay but they also havea shop in blackpool i think. anyway i have been treated like you no what from start to finish i swapped a fare bit of z scale stuff for a APT set with black windows and 2 power cars the discription was "near mint" well what i got was not near mint nor were the black window surrounds original i have tried contacting the guy with no luck its a real shame because its a great way to get new models. in my opinion i would go with rails of sheffield they gave me a few price on a few items a few years back but to get the best out of them go for the part ex offer. put it this way i would have got £130 cash or £170 part ex on the items i swapped

O L Leigh

Established Member
eBay is a good way of finding out the true value of an item (i.e. what someone is willing to pay for them), but be prepared to be disappointed. Some items command a higher price while others can go for peanuts. As has already been said, be honest and ensure your listing includes GOOD pics.

O L Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.