• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best places around Manchester for rail photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcniven

I am wondering if anyone knows any good spots around Manchester for rail photography, I tend to do mine on Platform 13 whilst waiting for my train home at Piccadilly, or Platform 2 at Heald Green/East Didsbury.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnB57

Hi Mike

In the absence of any replies from your fellow Mancies, have you thought about spreading your wings a little further within the TfGM area? I'm assuming the Coolpix is your only camera, so you need to look for sites that suit it rather than those where you might need a longer lens, say, so using the moors as a backdrop for example might give you the sort of variety you're looking for.

The problem with specific popular photo sites is that what you shoot will have been done to death, whereas looking for something a bit broader gives you the chance to put your own stamp on it. I'm o'er t' top from you but places I do know, like Greenfield, Mossley, Glossop, Hadfield, etc all have photo opportunities as well as being nice places to spend a Saturday mooching round. Rover tickets will be available.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck and let's see the results!

mikemcniven

Hi Mike

In the absence of any replies from your fellow Mancies, have you thought about spreading your wings a little further within the TfGM area? I'm assuming the Coolpix is your only camera, so you need to look for sites that suit it rather than those where you might need a longer lens, say, so using the moors as a backdrop for example might give you the sort of variety you're looking for.

The problem with specific popular photo sites is that what you shoot will have been done to death, whereas looking for something a bit broader gives you the chance to put your own stamp on it. I'm o'er t' top from you but places I do know, like Greenfield, Mossley, Glossop, Hadfield, etc all have photo opportunities as well as being nice places to spend a Saturday mooching round. Rover tickets will be available.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck and let's see the results!

Thanks for the reply :) I will have an explore and see what I come out with, been thinking about Glossop, mainly Dinting or something like that
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I did manage to find a new location to try some photography, Woodhouse Ln railway bridge at Manchester Airport. It's a pedestrian bridge. Three photos from my quick visit today.

28913636940_4d1b6f5ab8_z.jpg

29167611126_7bf84698ec_z.jpg

29123221741_9404660590_z.jpg

mikemcniven

To add in some more locations I have found

The Castlefield entry/exit stairs from Metrolink
The Castlefield roman ruin
Castlefield basin (white footbridge up to the Metrolink/Railway bridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.