• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best places to spot on the ECML within London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class455

Established Member
Hello all,
Following the announcement today that VTEC are to cease all operations and to see the new Thameslink services on the ECML, I’m thinking of doing some filming at a station (or two) along the ECML within London, similar to what I did last year on the Thameslink Core. Do you guys have any recommendations on what’s the best station within London to spot from? I was thinking either Finusbury Park or Hornsey but would like some recommendations if there is anywhere else.

I will most likely be using an Oyster card so ideally somewhere with no barriers or has Oyster readers on the platform/bridge before the barriers where I can tap out and then tap in again when I’m ready to leave would be good, similar to what’s at Harrow and Wealdstone. Otherwise is it worth getting a travelcard?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

A travelcard would save problems if someone checks your ticket whilst you are on the platform and if you have an unvalidated Oyster that might be tricky. Anyway I would say Hadley Wood, in zone 6 with tunnels at both ends, both directions should be doing a good speed through there.

Class455

Established Member
Alexandra Palace is a good station for viewing ECML traffic and Bounds Green depot is right next door.
Was thinking either that or Hornsey/Finsbury Park. I can finish up wherever the Thameslink service back towards Croydon and Purley stops within the GN network in the London zone

Status
Not open for further replies.