• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best post-1998 built rolling stock for comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170s for sure and then I would say the 390, but I've not been on a Class 333.

thefab444

Established Member
For electric, I'm gonna have to say Class 444s, they are magnificent and I actually prefer them to 442s in just about every way (as far as I can tell, this isn't a wide-held opinion, does anyone else agree with me?).

I think the 442s were more comfortable and had a more intercity style ambience, but in almost every other respect 444s are superior. Now that the interior of the 442s has been desecrated there is no contest. The sometimes 'interesting' ride quality of the 444s has been improved by the recent bogie overhauls.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
DMU probably the 'Meridian' Class 222s. I found them one of the most comfortable modern units I've ever been on.

EMU wise, it would have to be a Class 334 I found these surprisingly comfy, and has an 'open' feel to them.

Grimsby town

Got to be the class 222. As for electric I'm struggling to remember a modern emu I have been on so for the fact there the only ones I've been on the class 350.

RobShipway

Established Member
For Diesel is easy and it is the Class 180/175. I am hoping when I travel to Prestatyn in October from Chester, having got off a Voyager that I will be travelling on a Class 175.

Electrics are another matter as I am draw between Class 450/444/350 Desiro's and the Class 377 Electrostars, but I think the Class 450/444/350's have it just on ride quality.

That having been said, the ride on the Hitachi Juniper is not too bad which I went on from Stratford International to St Pancras last Saturday. However, it was a bit jerky in the tunnels.

NightatLaira

Electrostar for EMUs
Meridian for DMUs

I find the Heathrow Express units the most comfortable 'recently' built stock around, although I'm aware these were built pre-1998.

Personally, I don't think you can beat a properly sprung seat from a first class open mk3 WCML intercity / Virgin WC / GWML / pre-Mallard GNER, but these only beat the HEX stock by a whisker.

LE Greys

Established Member
Electrostar for EMUs
Meridian for DMUs

I find the Heathrow Express units the most comfortable 'recently' built stock around, although I'm aware these were built pre-1998.

Personally, I don't think you can beat a properly sprung seat from a first class open mk3 WCML intercity / Virgin WC / GWML / pre-Mallard GNER, but these only beat the HEX stock by a whisker.

Just what I was going to say, although I might add that the most comfortable general-service seat I've ever sat in belonged to a Stanier-designed LMS SK on the SVR.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Just what I was going to say, although I might add that the most comfortable general-service seat I've ever sat in belonged to a Stanier-designed LMS SK on the SVR.
Lovely those seats sure are. :wub:

Tracked

Established Member
DMU - 175 or the 180
EMU (o/h) - 333
EMU (3r) - 444

I thought the 395 I was on the other month was ok on HS1 but on the normal line between Ashford and Canterbury the ride was rough as hell in comparison

atomicdanny

For me, Diesel - either 171 or 222

EMU - 365 when they were under Southeastern, Connex and NSE! (scary that!), as well as 458s. but can't stand the 376s, and the 375s are only just bearable!

edit - ignore the 365! (was before 1998!)

Last edited:

Philip

On Moderation
Comfort wise as in easiest to have a kip on - Voyagers for diesel and Pendolinos for electric.

In terms of actual journey quality ie. window view, layout, noise level etc then a 175/180. Only problem is the bright lighting and vibrant colours on these and the 185s can be a bit obtrusive if you just want to relax - this is where the darker interiors of the Virgins and TPE 158s hold the upper hand.

350s - uncomfortable. 185s sound brilliant, look good and have better leg room than their electric counterparts but the seats are too firm to be considered comfy. (if you get a seat...) I thought over a few years of wearing in the seats would soften up a bit but this hasn't happened.

Yank 119

I have limited experience but I shall offer my opinions. I was last in the UK in 2004.

EMU: The only post-'98 electric units I rode were 460s and 375s. I much prefer the 460, even though the 375 I had was very new. Slammers won my heart immediately, however. I'm glad I got to experience them before they were withdrawn.
DMU: The only post-'98 diesel unit was a 221. I didn't like it. The best diesel unit for me personally is the 159, even though I was dead tired when experiencing it.

So yes, for me, a foreigner, the older stuff wins. It's amazing how much has changed in the years since my last visit.

Last edited:

thefab444

Established Member
So yes, for me, a foreigner, the older stuff wins. It's amazing how much has changed in the years since my last visit.

To be fair though, by only experiencing a 221 and a 375 you were exposed to some of the worst modern classes in the country. ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It is a struggle tbh! Without making comparisons with anything that came before 1998 it would have to be:

A Turbo star for short distance or the 222 for longer distance - how anyone can say the 180 is a comfortable place to be beats me. The seats are quite nice but the rest :roll: I guess you haven’t experienced the "free floating table" phenomenon or the loud noise from the engines or the vibration that makes it hard to see at times or the poor ride quality then. One of the GC units was so bad i thought it had come of the road at Temple Hirst Junction on one journey!

As for Voyager - don’t get me started! :roll::roll:

None of the EMU are really good but the best is, I think, an LM 350/1 IF you get a table or the last seat before the cab. Lots of room in those seats!

BuhSnarf

Diesel - 222 (no argument1) :lol:
Electric - 390

Controversial as it is on here I agree. Lived in wilmslow for a few years and me and family loved the 390s.

Now back in the midlands the 222s are great. Nicer seats than the hsts where the seats all seem to lean forward and have the annoying unmovable arm rest in the middle!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Nothing produced since privatisation has had the levels of comfort afforded to earlier designs - thanks largely to the need to cram as many seats in as possible, and to have rediculously hard seats to meet fire regulations.

That said, the best for comfort has to be the Class 460 emu, and the Cross Country 170 - both of which are damned good efforts considering the constarints.

Status
Not open for further replies.